advertisement

I've just found a positive point for avatars. It's quicker to identify your last post than scrolling through names, as before. Blaming with faint praise, possibly, but what the Hell.

i work with code and terminal windows most of the day -- they are with a dark background. it is easier to see color and way less harsh on the eyes.

note that most technologicical imaging systems and serious dashboards (healthcare, military, performance car) use a black background, not to mention all our visions of an advanced future (sci-fi). white backgrounds are for secretaries afraid of something looking different than windows on their machine. it's all counter-productive paper illusionism.

vuk.

p.s. teal is one of the few colours i just can't stand. i'd probably just put up with the secretary background, if it were just shades of grey or some type of blue.

Fair enough. I just chose it all those years ago as it was the NT4 spash screen colour and one of the few original ‘internet colours’ I could stand. I assumed Microsoft had user-tested it to be relaxing or something as everyone wanted to hit NT3.51 with a flying keyboard!

PS You do realise there is a near stock XenForo blue screen here in the preferences. It is a long way behind this one in tweaks, but it is perfectly readable and not teal!

PS You do realise there is a near stock XenForo blue screen here in the preferences. It is a long way behind this one in tweaks, but it is perfectly readable and not teal!

OK, for some reason it wasn;t working for me earlier -- i may not have hit save changes or something. i'll keep that one for weekends or when guests are over.

BTW -- having messed with the styles here, i can appreciate the tedium of the configuration here. the designers have gone over-board in totally unecessary distinctions between elements that should simply be consistent. there is also a lot of ill-advised css wonkery like making triangles by playing with element borders.

vuk.

As with most software these days it tries to please everyone all the time, yet everyone will want/use but a tiny subset of the functionality. The problem being everyone will use a slightly different bit, so they can’t really reduce it too much. I like it, but I am disapointed by how little bells and whistles can easily be turned off. I’m also astounded by how hard it is to alter something as basic as the colour of the node icons or select alternate icons of your choosing. With vBulletin it was just a matter of identitying them and then sticking a gif file of the same name and size in the appropriate place. This is just baffling in comparison, hence the ugly blue and yellow icons clashing with my green scheme on the main page. I’ll get them eventually if it kills me...

tony.

are you able to inject your own CCS rules? if so, even things like icons are easily handled (as image URIs). similarly, for features you want to disable, simply hide (display:none) the elements that control/display them.

have a look here:
https://xenforo.com/help/css-templates/

for me, that would be the way to control everything. mind you, i deal with CCS every day.

vuk.

Why is the colour such an issue, please? And why does it cause problems? Can;t you just use something like that colour palette spectrum grid thingy you get in MS Office and get whatever you want easily?

Why is the colour such an issue, please? And why does it cause problems? Can;t you just use something like that colour palette spectrum grid thingy you get in MS Office and get whatever you want easily?

because, with an operating system, the hundreds/thousands of people working on it have worked out the variations. similarly here, you get purchase templates from third parties. i suppose there are some who give them away, as well.

vuk.

because, with an operating system, the hundreds/thousands of people working on it have worked out the variations. similarly here, you get purchase templates from third parties. i suppose there are some who give them away, as well.

vuk.
Funny innit. MS give that stuff away for 20 years but you build a website and you have to pay for 'themes', 'skins' all of which look like bugger all to me. I was building a website recently and there were about 3 zillion themes for sale up to $300....and they all looked pretty much the same as the free ones....but if you fixate on a particular colour or font or, you're goosed.

advertisement

Back