advertisement

Just to see that mr Rock is Hopping

Maybe that should be 'Rock is hoping', Russell:) Hope things are improving up your way. I'm so amazed that I accomplished something digitally different that I'm minded to have a different avatar every month. As this is my 'Sunset Strip' month, I'd better find/take a suitable photo

p.s. teal is one of the few colours i just can't stand. i'd probably just put up with the secretary background, if it were just shades of grey or some type of blue.

More Bianchi Celeste than teal I'd have said..

bianchi-celeste-long-sleeve-jersey-EV170809-9999-1.jpg

i work with code and terminal windows most of the day -- they are with a dark background. it is easier to see color and way less harsh on the eyes.

note that most technologicical imaging systems and serious dashboards (healthcare, military, performance car) use a black background, not to mention all our visions of an advanced future (sci-fi). white backgrounds are for secretaries afraid of something looking different than windows on their machine. it's all counter-productive paper illusionism.

vuk.

Does anyone else think 'secretary background' sniffs classist and possibly sexist? I could call the horrid eyestrain-inducing black backgrounds 'geek-gothic,' but that would be a rude attack based on nothing but a narcissistic view of the importance of my personal taste...

If dark background/light text was suited to prolonged detailed scanning, most websites would feature it. The masses of eyeballs seem to have spoken otherwise, though. Dark backgrounds seem to be relegated to amateur and subculture stuff. Dashboards and other equipment-operating contexts are different, one does not read masses of text on them typically.

Now if you compute wearing sunglasses, you do want glowing text, of course.... :cool:

I find bright text on a black background gives me eye-burn, I hate it when I end up on some of the tech/hacker/gaming type forums that like them as if I look away from the screen at a white wall or something I can see light rows. I guess I must be in a minority, and I suspect it is very much a modern LCD screen thing as I don’t remember it at all from the old green or amber screen mono CRTs I started computing on. It is one reason I've been very reluctant to go in that direction, i.e. not only do I feel they are ugly as hell, but they hurt my eyes too.

FWIW I do most of my browsing on an iPad these days, so a small but very high-res screen that automatically adjusts to ambient light level. My room lighting is pretty low/ambient which may also be a factor.

don.

can you point me to any sci-fi show (or CSI-style creation) that features computers doing paper illusionism? you will all be embarrassed by your choices/tastes when AI takes over ;-)

on a related note, why al the hostility to people using their computers as they see fit? do you want to decorate my house too and choose my cycling outfit for me?

tony.

i thought you claimed to be a big form following function kind of guy? why bombard the person with light and make them read the few bits that are darkened out? part of the problem is that the lighting people use with their computers as all wrong -- again, meant for a paper-based office of the mid 20th century.

p.s. i love secretaries. secretaries are my favourite people. in my work, i place the secretaries way above those who are officially their capitalist "superiors".

advertisement

Back