1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Audiophile

Discussion in 'audio' started by Cereal Killer, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

What does the word ‘Audiophile’ mean to you and do you think it has a negative connotation these days?

2. markt

markt hello

Certainly used in a pejorative way I think, no fun in the term bit like calling someone a boring git.

We should think of a name more upbeat and positive.

What do you reckon to STEREOHEAD?

Ok, maybe not :)

3. hughjampton

hughjampton pfm Member

If you told a Sun reader you were one he'd probably try to kick your head in.

4. panda

panda pfm Member

someone who is more into 'audio' than in music. hence i would be offended if called one.

5. Robert

Robert Tapehead

Twenty five-thirty years ago+ I'd say it meant a discerning music lover looking for or owning a system to further their love of music, make the experience more enjoyable.

Today I see the word and automatically think, crank or basket-case.
    A shame as there are some exceptions but they get fewer by the day :(

6. dave

dave Plywood King

The only problem with audio are the evangelists who are Hell-bent on saving the rest of us from ourselves. I can think of few things more irritating than someone telling me what I can or can't hear or what I should or shouldn't like.

7. Tenson

Tenson Trade: AudioSmile

You shouldn't think that.

8. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

you mean like chris koster ;-)

vuk.

9. ClaraBannister

ClaraBannister pfm Member

It could be that these people, too, are irritated. By the fact that the system they would like to own is priced beyond their reach, because the market has become inflated through the gullibility of many other enthusiasts, who think nothing of paying several thousand pounds for a pickup cartridge.

10. dave

dave Plywood King

More like John Watson;-)

11. dave

dave Plywood King

Why not be honest instead of appearing stupid and insulting?

12. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

13. Tenson

Tenson Trade: AudioSmile

Both are good?

Edit: Though the video for Tom Waits seems to have little to do with temptation.

14. DevillEars

DevillEars Dedicated ignorer of fashion

Time to stir a little... :)

Given the distinctly anti-American gear and pro-British stance of many on this forum, maybe 'audiophile' is a contraction of 'audio' and 'Anglophile'? :D

PS: The inverted snobbery that surfaces occasionally indicates that there is also another category - 'audiophobe', or someone who resents any and all that own either music collections or audio systems that he/she can only aspire to (or need a few more years of work and saving to be able to afford), so castigate those that have already got there - either through windfalls or by accumulation over a longer period.

:cool:

15. kuma

kuma Duchess of The Hustle

Old, fat and bald.

16. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

Audiophiles are intersted in audio reproduction. Some may be more interested in the means (shiny gear); others in the ends (lovely music or accurate sound). There is nothing wrong or derogatory with either. When was the last time you mocked someone for owning a Lamborghini Gallardo, even if they couldn't drive it properly?

James

17. BIFFA

BIFFA not a clue

Anal to the nth degree.
    I don't mind the term to be honest.

18. Cereal Killer

I don't find the term very endearing, in fact, when i first saw a mag with 'the' word written on the front cover i had to ask the own what it was and if it should be on display..... to me it comes across, and always has, a bit nerdy and slightly embarrassing. I've never referred myself to being one.

PS. I was at 'The Listening Rooms' on Old Brompton Road, Kensington, London, at the time buying some red piano finsihed MA studio 6's.

19. BIFFA

BIFFA not a clue

People are always wanting to label people into boxes.
    You can call what you like I won't hear you I will be listening to some tunes maan!!!

20. Cereal Killer

The words enough to scare kids/new comers aways, and seriously needs deleting from this hobbies dictionary if its to survive IMO.