advertisement

Audiophile

If you told a Sun reader you were one he'd probably try to kick your head in.

Amongst many publications I read the sun on line , which makes me a sun reader .

Funny thing is I abhor violence and would bet a considerable amount of money I am more intelligent than you . One really shouldn’t be so lazy with their use of language . :D

I don't think there's any question that audiophilia is almost always a barrier to listening to music, because most of the concerns of audiophilia are inimical to understanding the meaning of music. Which is not to say audiophiles can't be music lovers, but is to say, insofar as they think about music in audiophile terms, audiophiles are not really listening to music, but to sound. Quite hard to explain what I mean, but I had a eureka moment when I ceased to think like an audiophile and returned to my pre-audiophile ways, and most other people I know who have had periods mucking about with hi-fi are the same. Listening to music when you are an audiophile simply isn't much fun.

I don't think there's any question that audiophilia is almost always a barrier to listening to music, because most of the concerns of audiophilia are inimical to understanding the meaning of music. Which is not to say audiophiles can't be music lovers, but is to say, insofar as they think about music in audiophile terms, audiophiles are not really listening to music, but to sound. Quite hard to explain what I mean, but I had a eureka moment when I ceased to think like an audiophile and returned to my pre-audiophile ways, and most other people I know who have had periods mucking about with hi-fi are the same. Listening to music when you are an audiophile simply isn't much fun.

It depends how you approach it. If you remain in analytical mode regarding the sound, I would tend to agree. If, however, you focus your attention on the music and allow yourself to respond emotionally to it, I would disagree.

We can flit between different planes of consciousness: music, system, interplay between the two, music and for a fleeting moment whether or not the system facilitates a better emotional connection with the music, whether we are spending more or less time listening to music and whether or not our musical horizons have been broadened.

A successful audiophile reconciles the two nicely and wants to listen to every album going under the sun in their entirety. Well, almost...

the subconscious mind works like a tape recorder....it replays so this means that it can replay good programming or bad programming....the conscious mind is only openly working about 5% of the day....the unconscious mind is far, far more powerful.

To clarify: consciousness in this instance is where we focus our attention. This is in a constant state of flux just as the eyes never keep completely still.

Sur les grandes lignes, I agree with Steve's view. Just the same, over here, where the cheese stinks, the more usual term is "Mélomane".

I regularly refer to myself as an audiophool.

the subconscious mind works like a tape recorder....it replays so this means that it can replay good programming or bad programming....the conscious mind is only openly working about 5% of the day....the unconscious mind is far, far more powerful.

Eh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian,

That's an interesting take on audiophile.

I referenced the wiki definition the other day after the word "audiophile" was once again bandied around in an insulting manner.
"An audiophile is a person enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction"

The Oxford dictionary entry says,

audiophile
" noun
informal

a hi-fi enthusiast: it puts professional studio sound within the reach of the audiophile.

I've seen other definitions that are broadly the same and plenty of articles indicating an audiophile is someone who has a high level of interest in enjoying recorded music, such as this article: It's all about what seems like a simple concept: Finding a way to listen to recorded music so that it sounds as real as possible.

In this context and given other sources, "sound reproduction" is the same as "music reproduction", hence most pfm members are audiophiles under that definition and there's nothing wrong with that.

Are you saying the general definition of the word "audiophile" is incorrect?

I've only recently noticed how objectivists are using the word as a means of insulting other members without breaking the AUP. It's true I don't bother too much with labels, nor have I bought a hifi magazine in around 15 years and for years before that only for the diy supplement, so it could have been going on for years and I just haven't noticed a gradual change in meaning of the word.

Ian,

That's an interesting take on audiophile.

I referenced the wiki definition the other day after the word "audiophile" was once again bandied around in an insulting manner.
"An audiophile is a person enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction"

The Oxford dictionary entry says,

audiophile
" noun
informal

a hi-fi enthusiast: it puts professional studio sound within the reach of the audiophile.

I've seen other definitions that are broadly the same and plenty of articles indicating an audiophile is someone who has a high level of interest in enjoying recorded music, such as this article: It's all about what seems like a simple concept: Finding a way to listen to recorded music so that it sounds as real as possible.

I've only recently noticed how objectivists are using the word as a means of insulting other members without breaking the AUP. It's true I don't bother too much with labels, nor have I bought a hifi magazine in around 15 years and for years before that only for the diy supplement, so it could have been going on for years and I just haven't noticed a gradual change in meaning of the word.

the comedic insult is audiophools....just so you know the difference.
don't believe there is a 'serious' insult....but some do have major chips on their shoulders...but that's probably paranoia.

is that why you are using objectivist as an insult?

I think that's spot-on, Ian, For audiophiles, the primary object appears to be perfect reproduction as a purely technical exercise, as opposed to a musical one. Indeed, sometimes the desire appears to be reproduction that is much better than you can hear in a live venue.

As you say, the technical reproduction and the enjoyment of music are not mutually exclusive. However, I get the feeling that, in many cases, it's like Flanders and Swann's

But I never did care for music much!
It's the hi-fee-del-i-tee!

Like yourself, I got over that long ago, gave up upgrading and even sidegrading as pointless and now replace something only when it breaks down. (You'll be pleased to know that my last upgrades, your Meridian 588 and EAR 834, are both giving sterling service).

Twenty five-thirty years ago+ I'd say it meant a discerning music lover looking for or owning a system to further their love of music, make the experience more enjoyable.

Oh I don't know... think that might have been an "internal" view. As far as I can see it's always meant crazy person that is prepared to spend stupid amounts of money on a system that sounds worse (cos it aint got no kickin bass or crisp treble init).

the comedic insult is audiophools....just so you know the difference.
don't believe there is a 'serious' insult....but some do have major chips on their shoulders...but that's probably paranoia.

I think you shouldn't be insulting people at all darryl and I seriously doubt I'm the only member who has a major chip, or is suffering paranoia.

I'll leave this thread now because although I wanted to ask Ian something I really don't want to dragged into an argument with you so I'll disappear gracefully. I've avoided argument for a long time now and I'm not about to be dragged in again. It's pointless.

darryl said:
is that why you are using objectivist as an insult?
I'm not, as I'm sure you know.

Traditional meaning:

au•di•o•phile

Pronunciation: (ô'dē-u-fīl"), [key]
—n.
a person who is especially interested in high-fidelity sound reproduction.

Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc.

Current meaning:

au•di•o•phile

Pronunciation: (ô'dē-u-fīl"), [key]
—n.
a person who is especially interested in the trivial aspects of sound reproduction.
The audiophile can usually be identified through the display of neurotic and irrational tendencies.

Holt Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 2013, by Happy House, Inc.

Putting the serious hat on for a moment, Ian is right.

Nice idea, if only it were true!

Have you ever visited a professional studio?
...and I mean a real one, not TdPs back yard ;)

I think you shouldn't be insulting people at all darryl and I seriously doubt I'm the only member who has a major chip, or is suffering paranoia.

I'll leave this thread now because although I wanted to ask Ian something I really don't want to dragged into an argument with you so I'll disappear gracefully. I've avoided argument for a long time now and I'm not about to be dragged in again. It's pointless.

I'm not, as I'm sure you know.

Brian, please don't allow yourself to be driven away by the somewhat overbearing and combative presence of one individual.

advertisement

Back