advertisement

Audiophile

n588873370_1171800_9461.jpg

Me, wifey and son (page boy) at a friends wedding

But manufacturers still refer to their potential customers as Audiophiles.... if my wife knew people in this hobby were called that she'd probably have a good laugh.

occasionally geeks become cool so on that basis I vote for:-

Audiogeek

It makes us sound a little bit younger than the audiophile word.

One thing that always saddens me in the field of interest is the obvious over use of testosterone type behaviour. It's a bit like the car fraternity.
(I am as guilty as the next on that one)

No. I remember her years ago chucking aside a copy of 'What Hi-Fi?' with a contemptuous sneer and the comment: 'What a load of rubbish. It should be entitled 'Which Hi-Fi?' anyway'.

It's a *post* Bill Gates/Steve Jobs syndrome.

Geeky and Nerdy were never cool. But of course, they rule the world, now and get all the hot babes.

And golf players were always middle-aged blokes in silly clothes. I saw a magazine t'other day called 'Golf Punk' which kinda blew my mind.

Twenty five-thirty years ago+ I'd say it meant a discerning music lover looking for or owning a system to further their love of music, make the experience more enjoyable.

Today I see the word and automatically think, crank or basket-case.
A shame as there are some exceptions but they get fewer by the day :(

That sounds plausable to me.

I don't see anything wrong with an interest in audio and what makes it tick (excuse poss pun) if that improves the soiund cming out of the speakers.

Yes.

Audiophiles have miles to go.
I recall seeing Fabio fiddling with Krell kit in his house in some magazines years ago.

It could be that these people, too, are irritated. By the fact that the system they would like to own is priced beyond their reach, because the market has become inflated through the gullibility of many other enthusiasts, who think nothing of paying several thousand pounds for a pickup cartridge.

Don't you start, Clara.

You've been reading too many nonsense pf posts.

if more people considered themselves melomanes as opposed to audiophiles it would be better. I sometimes get the impression alot of people own expensive equipment and little music ,but who really knows.

advertisement

Back