advertisement

Audiophile

Certainly used in a pejorative way I think, no fun in the term bit like calling someone a boring git.

We should think of a name more upbeat and positive.

What do you reckon to STEREOHEAD?

Ok, maybe not :)

Twenty five-thirty years ago+ I'd say it meant a discerning music lover looking for or owning a system to further their love of music, make the experience more enjoyable.

Today I see the word and automatically think, crank or basket-case.
A shame as there are some exceptions but they get fewer by the day :(

The only problem with audio are the evangelists who are Hell-bent on saving the rest of us from ourselves. I can think of few things more irritating than someone telling me what I can or can't hear or what I should or shouldn't like.

The only problem with audio are the evangelists who are Hell-bent on saving the rest of us from ourselves. I can think of few things more irritating than someone telling me what I can or can't hear or what I should or shouldn't like.

It could be that these people, too, are irritated. By the fact that the system they would like to own is priced beyond their reach, because the market has become inflated through the gullibility of many other enthusiasts, who think nothing of paying several thousand pounds for a pickup cartridge.

It could be that these people, too, are irritated. By the fact that the system they would like to own is priced beyond their reach, because the market has become inflated through the gullibility of many other enthusiasts, who think nothing of paying several thousand pounds for a pickup cartridge.

Why not be honest instead of appearing stupid and insulting?

Time to stir a little... :)

Given the distinctly anti-American gear and pro-British stance of many on this forum, maybe 'audiophile' is a contraction of 'audio' and 'Anglophile'? :D

PS: The inverted snobbery that surfaces occasionally indicates that there is also another category - 'audiophobe', or someone who resents any and all that own either music collections or audio systems that he/she can only aspire to (or need a few more years of work and saving to be able to afford), so castigate those that have already got there - either through windfalls or by accumulation over a longer period.

:cool:

Audiophiles are intersted in audio reproduction. Some may be more interested in the means (shiny gear); others in the ends (lovely music or accurate sound). There is nothing wrong or derogatory with either. When was the last time you mocked someone for owning a Lamborghini Gallardo, even if they couldn't drive it properly?

James

I don't find the term very endearing, in fact, when i first saw a mag with 'the' word written on the front cover i had to ask the own what it was and if it should be on display..... to me it comes across, and always has, a bit nerdy and slightly embarrassing. I've never referred myself to being one.

PS. I was at 'The Listening Rooms' on Old Brompton Road, Kensington, London, at the time buying some red piano finsihed MA studio 6's.

People are always wanting to label people into boxes.
You can call what you like I won't hear you I will be listening to some tunes maan!!!

advertisement

Back