advertisement

Arcam Alpha 5 CD player draw jamming

Griff,

The muting transistors are located in the yellow circles, and as you can see mine are long gone. Ignore the fact that my board may look a bit different otherwise, its been well tweaked/broken over the years, just let us know if there are small black three legged components in those circles

A5Out.jpg

For reference to trancera's photos this is the rear left of the top (DAC) pcb. The phono sockets are just above the yellow circles.

You can also disable the mute transistors by snipping the adjacent resistors (R15/R115)

trancera, how do you find the bass with those 1uF coupling caps ? Some people I know use 1uF Evox SMRs too. I have some Wima MKS2-XL 10uF and 22uF which I plan to try in mine at some point ...

did you find any problems with the OPA627 oscillating with no additional local decoupling ?

Hello Jonathon. Very strange you didn't receive my note. I checked and it was definately sent. If you could give me your Email address again, just to make sure it's correct I will try again. If you want to give up, I think I've reached the stage when I want to I completly understand. I just dont have the knowledge or expertise to be able to repair it and there is no point in sending it through the post as any repair is likely to be null and void by the time it reached me given the way things are chucked about by the various curiers! It's a shame as I have the nagging boubt it could be something simple. Many thanks for all your help. Peter.

Hi there, the cd drawer on my alpha 5 has just started playing up, is anyone able to send me the instructions how to replace the cog. Also is it the cdm9 I need to purchase from ebay?

Hi Mik60ish
Same very thing happened to my AA5, really odd that Arcam don't have the cog wheel as I brought mine just 5-6 months ago, I have the instructions if you require them, PM me your private mail account and I will scan and send as .pdf. My failed drawer mech promted me to do the AAA5 up-grade, well worth the effort IMHO.

Paul
Hi Paul,
I have an Arcam Apha 5 with the notorious stripped gear wheel problem, and I saw that you offered people the replacement instructions back in 2008. I can get a replacement wheel on eBay. I'm willing to try the replacement myself, but I'm a bit leery of doing it without some guidance. By any chance do you still have the instructions? (I found a pdf of the AA5 service manual, but it doesn't address tray problems specifically).
John ([email protected])

My modded Arcam has started to mistrack and the transport is making a clicking noise. I picked up another player on ebay. Are there any instructions / advice on how to swap the transport section over?

advertisement

Back