advertisement

Arcam Alpha 5 CD player draw jamming

mik60ish

pfm Member
My Arcam Alpha 5 CD player draw has just started playing up you have to force it to open & close, been in touch with Arcam only to tell me the don't support it anymore, the guy referred me to ebay which I asked the ebay guy would it suit my player. To be told that = If your player is CDM9 or CDM-9 PRO. I think you can use this item.

Has or anyone experienced this problem or a remedy.

Thanks Mike

Yes! Very recently. The same mech went in the AVI cd2000 and had the same fault. I've just bought the repair kit from ebay, a tenner, delivered and I've not yet fitted it. It looks right though. If you remove the cover you will see the drawer is operated by a beige plastig gear that sits on a pulley. The gear has 10 teeth, which fall off. You will have lost some or all of these. If this is the case then buy teh CDM9 repair kit, and fit it. It's easy to remove as I remember, I was looking into getting a gear made but with the Ebay guy it's innecessary.

Get the kit from Arcam, the replacement part is supposed to have greater longevity. They also provide very detailed monkey-see, monkey-do instructions.

Regards,

Mus

This is the reply that I had from Arcam!

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your Alpha 5 CD player.

From what you have said, it sounds like the drive tray drawer cog has failed, losing its teeth. Unfortunately, we no longer have stock of these replacement parts.

However, you may still be able to source this part from a third party supplier on ebay. I have listed a link to the site below:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tray-Gear-whe...ageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122

I hope this helps.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
OK, plan B. Les at Avondale rebuilds AA5s and changes the cog as part of the rebuild. Ask him nicely and he may sell you a cog. Ask Arcam nicely and they may email you the instructions.

Regards,

Mus

Hi Mik60ish
Same very thing happened to my AA5, really odd that Arcam don't have the cog wheel as I brought mine just 5-6 months ago, I have the instructions if you require them, PM me your private mail account and I will scan and send as .pdf. My failed drawer mech promted me to do the AAA5 up-grade, well worth the effort IMHO.

Paul

Hi Mike, had same problem with my Quad 67 cd player, had to send off to Taiwan for it.
Got my brother-in-law to fit it ( He repairs computors for a living ) Would not atempt it your self looks tricky.You can damage components with static discharge so be careful

Tom B.

Hi Tom
Good advice, but the AA5 is a doddle to repair, you only need to remove the mech drawer and there are no static sensitive devices that need to be considered, I will be mailing Mike the fitting instructions when he send me his mail account to attach too.
Paul

Actually you have to strip the player right down, as the mech is screwed to the monoboard, but having said that, it's still a pretty simple machine.

Hi Guys

I haven't had the instructions from Paul yet. I did ring Les and he said he would post me a replacement cog wheel! I did explain that I was now living in New Zealand still no sound from my AAA5 boo hoo!

Hi Mike I have not recieved a mail account from you to mail you the pdf file, please mail me an address where I can send the attachment, I have scanned the instructions just waiting for the address.
Paul

why should les have a limitless stock ?

the simple solution is to convert the draw to manual operation......this is achieved by making certain the draw moves freely ....you may need to delve right into the a5 to clean up or remove further teeth from the beige cog ...then fit a handle on the draw.

It does not effect performance and allows you to continue to use this very good cdp.

you may need to delve right into the a5 to clean up or remove further teeth from the beige cog ...then fit a handle on the draw.
good cdp.

I do like this type of thinking/engineering. One has to get up of one ass to change the cd anyway.

Never got my head round why have a motorised cd draw.....

Graham

Zanash, my CDP became manual-only when all the teeth fell off.:eek: I have since repaired it and I much prefer it that way, the kit was £10 or 12 delivered in a week from Taiwan.

The repair is, erm, OK, take care the drive belt doesn't foul any of the components when it goes back on. I only realised this when I was doing the final checking - I tried to operate the drawer by hand to see if it still worked, and it was almost impossible to move. Doh! You *do* need a selection of tx and small screwdriver bits before going in.

Caveat: Mine is an AVI MC2000 so these remarks may not apply to the Arcam.

Mike pdf file sent to your mail account, good luck with the fitting, it is relatively straight forward, just take care and not rush it.

Paul

can you let me have the details of your contact as I have three AA5's and it would be nice to have the draws work !

advertisement

Back