1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Arcam Alpha 5 CD player draw jamming

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by mik60ish, Mar 20, 2008.

1. mik60ish

mik60ish Well-Known Member

My Arcam Alpha 5 CD player draw has just started playing up you have to force it to open & close, been in touch with Arcam only to tell me the don't support it anymore, the guy referred me to ebay which I asked the ebay guy would it suit my player. To be told that = If your player is CDM9 or CDM-9 PRO. I think you can use this item.

Has or anyone experienced this problem or a remedy.

Thanks Mike

2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yes! Very recently. The same mech went in the AVI cd2000 and had the same fault. I've just bought the repair kit from ebay, a tenner, delivered and I've not yet fitted it. It looks right though. If you remove the cover you will see the drawer is operated by a beige plastig gear that sits on a pulley. The gear has 10 teeth, which fall off. You will have lost some or all of these. If this is the case then buy teh CDM9 repair kit, and fit it. It's easy to remove as I remember, I was looking into getting a gear made but with the Ebay guy it's innecessary.

3. Filholder

Filholder pfm Member

They are also available direct from arcam for about £12, i dunno what your kit from ebay cost.

4. Mus

Mus pfm Member

Get the kit from Arcam, the replacement part is supposed to have greater longevity. They also provide very detailed monkey-see, monkey-do instructions.

Regards,

Mus

5. mik60ish

This is the reply that I had from Arcam!

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your Alpha 5 CD player.

From what you have said, it sounds like the drive tray drawer cog has failed, losing its teeth. Unfortunately, we no longer have stock of these replacement parts.

However, you may still be able to source this part from a third party supplier on ebay. I have listed a link to the site below:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tray-Gear-whe...ageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122

I hope this helps.

6. Mus

Mus pfm Member

OK, plan B. Les at Avondale rebuilds AA5s and changes the cog as part of the rebuild. Ask him nicely and he may sell you a cog. Ask Arcam nicely and they may email you the instructions.

Regards,

Mus

7. Pulse Studio

Pulse Studio TubeTech

Hi Mik60ish
    Same very thing happened to my AA5, really odd that Arcam don't have the cog wheel as I brought mine just 5-6 months ago, I have the instructions if you require them, PM me your private mail account and I will scan and send as .pdf. My failed drawer mech promted me to do the AAA5 up-grade, well worth the effort IMHO.

Paul

8. Pulse Studio

Pulse Studio TubeTech

Hi Mick

PM sent.

Paul

9. sugdenman

sugdenman pfm Member

Hi Mike, had same problem with my Quad 67 cd player, had to send off to Taiwan for it.
    Got my brother-in-law to fit it ( He repairs computors for a living ) Would not atempt it your self looks tricky.You can damage components with static discharge so be careful

Tom B.

10. Pulse Studio

Pulse Studio TubeTech

Hi Tom
    Good advice, but the AA5 is a doddle to repair, you only need to remove the mech drawer and there are no static sensitive devices that need to be considered, I will be mailing Mike the fitting instructions when he send me his mail account to attach too.
    Paul

11. RustyB

RustyB Registered Ginga

Actually you have to strip the player right down, as the mech is screwed to the monoboard, but having said that, it's still a pretty simple machine.

12. mik60ish

Hi Guys

I haven't had the instructions from Paul yet. I did ring Les and he said he would post me a replacement cog wheel! I did explain that I was now living in New Zealand still no sound from my AAA5 boo hoo!

13. Pulse Studio

Pulse Studio TubeTech

Hi Mike I have not recieved a mail account from you to mail you the pdf file, please mail me an address where I can send the attachment, I have scanned the instructions just waiting for the address.
    Paul

14. mik60ish

Hi Paul

My email xyeovillian(at)gmail.com

Iv'e tried twice with pm!!

Cheers Mike

15. zanash

zanash pfm Member

why should les have a limitless stock ?

the simple solution is to convert the draw to manual operation......this is achieved by making certain the draw moves freely ....you may need to delve right into the a5 to clean up or remove further teeth from the beige cog ...then fit a handle on the draw.

It does not effect performance and allows you to continue to use this very good cdp.

16. Pulse Studio

Pulse Studio TubeTech

Hi Mike

I have now got it in my PM box will send the pdf over tonight.

Paul

17. laverda

laverda pfm Member

I do like this type of thinking/engineering. One has to get up of one ass to change the cd anyway.

Never got my head round why have a motorised cd draw.....

Graham

18. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Zanash, my CDP became manual-only when all the teeth fell off.:eek: I have since repaired it and I much prefer it that way, the kit was £10 or 12 delivered in a week from Taiwan.

The repair is, erm, OK, take care the drive belt doesn't foul any of the components when it goes back on. I only realised this when I was doing the final checking - I tried to operate the drawer by hand to see if it still worked, and it was almost impossible to move. Doh! You *do* need a selection of tx and small screwdriver bits before going in.

Caveat: Mine is an AVI MC2000 so these remarks may not apply to the Arcam.

19. Pulse Studio

Pulse Studio TubeTech

Mike pdf file sent to your mail account, good luck with the fitting, it is relatively straight forward, just take care and not rush it.

Paul

20. zanash

zanash pfm Member

can you let me have the details of your contact as I have three AA5's and it would be nice to have the draws work !