advertisement

Arcam Alpha 5 CD player draw jamming

Read back up the thread, the A5 uses a CDM9/65 mechanism. The CDM9 gear is the correct one but you can get one cheaper than that, even on Ebay.

Bugger, my A5 just failed today...stripped it down and one broken gear :(

I wonder whether it is worth recapping it whilst I have it open?

I have a AAA5 available on re-sale, if you're interested in going that route? PM me if you'd like more info.

Thanks!

TF

I also have the same problem and now have the replacement cog ordered off eBay. I went to replace it but there's a bit more digging around to do than I first thought.

Does anyone still have instructions? If so, I would be very grateful to have them before I get myself too deep in the guts of the machine.

Thanks.

Check the service manual for AA5/6, it will tell you how to remove everything. You need access to underneath the main board.
Yair

Just an update for anyone else attempting this – Arcam supply a sheet of instructions but there were a couple of sensitive moments left to fend for myself (e.g. where I wasn't sure whether I could pull the board off without causing damage to some pins).

Also, a T10 Torx screwdriver is needed for the last stage. (I had to go buy one midway through the job). A bit fiddly perhaps for a non-electrical engineer like me, but doable with the right tools.

You do not need to remove the drive from the motherboard, arcam said it was a fiddle if you do. Arcam sell the cog for 15 quid, google arcam for the phone number, i could not find a telephone number on the website. Their spares guy was helpful.

Hello. Any chance someone may have the telephone number and name of the chap at Arcam who may be able to give advice on a Alpha CD player not working after drawer gear eeplacement.

What is 'not working' about it ? Are you sure you refitted the laser ribbon fully and squarely into the plug under the mech and clipped it into place and refitted the motor and tray switch plugs ?

Hello. No sound from the player. I have checked everything. The disc spins and the counter counts but no sound. Any suggestions would be very gratefully received. I am at a total lose. Is it possible I have damaged something due to a lack of static precautions. I handled the boards by there edges as much as possible! I have checked the vertical pins under the small board and cant see anything wrong.

Ok, so the CD mechanism itself is ok, the player is reading the CD TOC (table of contents) and shows you a tracklisting, when you press play track 1 starts to play and the counter counts up. Is that all correct ?

If that is the case then the decoder ICs on the mainboard are likely ok and the DAC pcb is supplying the clock.

Have you checked the voltages on the DAC ?

Do you have a scope to check the WS, BCK and DATA lines to the DAC ? I assume the main clock must be running otherwise the CD would be spinning very quickly.

Have you already removed the mute transistors ? If not what are the voltages on the bases ?

Did you power the CD player up with the DAC board removed ? The design relies on the DAC to load the supply on the main board (and pull it down) - otherwise you risk over voltaging some of the reservoir caps and smoking some of the resistors.

Hello. All you state as to what the player does is correct. I didn't power the unit up part assembled. However you lose me then. I have absolutly no knowledge of elecronics, I don't know what a DAC is let alone how to measure the voltage of it. It's a possibilty it might be nothing I have done at all. I remember the unit started skipping before i did the gear change. I thought it might have been a dirty disc, not tha I let my discs get dirty. The unit is modified to a similar spec to Avondales and shortly after I received it it stopped producing sound. I returned it and it appears a component had packed up Possibly a DAC. I was told they can either fail quite quickly or run for ever. Given it is a modified player I am reluctant to just give up on it. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Hi,

If the unit has been modified to a similar spec to the Avondale units then the output muting transistors will have been removed - so that won't be the cause then.

If you have no electronics knowledge then I suggest you find someone locally who can help you. There is not much more I can suggest really. Whereabouts are you located ? I live in the south-west (UK).

Cheers,

Jon

Yes I agree Jon, it does sound like the KILL line is on / issue with muting for some reason but who knows what's inside.

I'd put a test CD since wav in with 50HZ full wave, see if I can measure it with a meter (if no scope about). However in this case some local help is needed.

Thanks for replies. The unit is in Spain. I can get it back to the UK as hand luggage. I live in Barnet Herts coming back for a week in March if anyone knows of someone who could possibly help.I had another look tonight, again removed the small board and checked the two sets of connecting pins and connections. Can't see anything though.

I think the connecting pins between the main board and audio board are probably ok, the CD would likely spin out of control if there was no connection I have seen it happen:rolleyes:

(I think its due to loss of clock signal from the filter chip).

Yes trancera, you are correct - the clock to the servo is fed from the top board so if the top board is missing / the 7220 digital filter is faulty the CD will spin out of control.

'griffin10010' can you post photos of the top board so we can see what modifications have been done to it, thanks. Also close up shots of the inside of the rest of the player might help diagnosis too. I'll point out where the mute transistors are to you.

Hello. Many thanks for offers of help. Unfortunatly I have limited knowledge with computers and picture loading. I will try and get my grandaughter to show me how to load pictures over the week end., if she knows.Jon, you say you are inthe SW. If I could get the player to you would you be prepared to try and repair it for me please. Visions of Devon and Cornwall spring to mind!

advertisement

Back