advertisement

Arcam Alpha 5 CD player draw jamming

Go to ebay and type in "CDM5" into the search bit. The parts will be visible. Dunno what price he dies for 5 of the things.

I stumbled across this thread via google after getting the worrying grinding sound on my Arcam Alpha 5+ which signified the cog disintegrating as the tray juddered out and then jammed. I sent an e-mail to Arcam but didn't get a response so I just ordered the CDM9 cog off ebay (after opening the case to confirm it was the cog).

Would it be possible for someone to send/post instructions on how to change the cog when it arrives, a PDF was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Thanks for the info as my initial thoughts were along the lines of it likely being dead and requiring a trip to my dealer to see if it was still worth repairing.

Hi Morph, if you PM me your mail address I will sent the .pdf file, I need your private mail account, not PM account to send the attached file.
Paul

Hi Richard

Mail sent with the instructions attached, mail me if you need any assistance, take your time with it. Good luck.

Paul

At least it's only the drawer sled that the teeth drop off of on the AA5. If you've got a VRDS Teac, then its probably the teeth dropping off the gear for the laser sled that you should be worried about, that can then get stuck in the disk clamping system and that stops drawer opening as well if you're unlucky.

Remember, there's always some poor sod worse off than you - i.e. me ;)

Cheers

Well after about a week of procrastination after the cog arrived and I realised the level to which the player would have to be dismantled to fit the cog I finally got around to fitting the cog. It all went relatively smoothly (once the problem of my missing Torx head screwdriver was dealt with) and is working again.

Thanks again for your help,

Morpheus

morpheus, just one last thing. What type of grease have you used on your new cog ? The original grease caused it to "rot" and should be replaced with silicone grease. ok?

regards, Tom B.

Well I finnally got my Arcam up and running again I followed the instructions (tray cog replacement) stripped the player down and I got to 7. and I then lost the plot and rather than damage anything I left it under the bench until this week and I took it get it repaired it only cost $45.00 NZ wish I had done it before! now listening to Josh Stone sounds pretty good.

Hi guys. I found this thread through Google as I now find myself with a broken CD drawer on my Arcam 5. I've taken it apart enough to retreive several broken teeth from the pulley wheel. I understand that I need a CDM5 but so far hav had not luck finding one on eBay. Would anyone be able to pointe in the right direction for a replacement please.

Thanks in advance. Stephen

Thanks for the prompt reply Jon. CDM9 is available on Ebay. So assuming that's what I need I'm all sorted. Excellent, Cheers.

Temp fix can be a tail of masking tape stuck under the tray haning out like a tongue... I have seen screwdriver marks on some players...

advertisement

Back