advertisement

Another Kii THREE thread.

Which speakers are these being referred to? I've been to all the Scalford shows so must have heard them.

Is it a room MODE or NODE that Keith keeps mentioning?
And what are they??!!!! How do you hear these with the ear... or do you have to be Yoda?

Is it a room MODE or NODE that Keith keeps mentioning?
And what are they??!!!! How do you hear these with the ear... or do you have to be Yoda?

Both. "The input of acoustic energy to the room at the modal frequencies and multiples thereof causes standing waves. The nodes and antinodes of these standing waves result in the loudness of the particular resonant frequency being different at different locations of the room. "

Room modes

Cheers. Is this something you hear with the 'naked ear' then? Or is it measured with some techy bit of kit??

I only have one place to go in my room due to the layout - which is sat on the sofa ! I guess i could stand by the door - but then as further away of course it will be different.

Cheers. Is this something you hear with the 'naked ear' then? Or is it measured with some techy bit of kit??

You could play a frequency sweep (or a series of discrete tones with increasing frequency) and listen for peaks or dips.

If I remember correctly there was a diagram on the rear wall which explained how the speakers wouldn’t excite room modes , but unfortunately that wasn’t the case.
Don’t remember much else to be honest.
Keith
Keith, you don't remember correctly. Not even remotely correctly. Of course that doesn't mean we should assume everything you say is wrong.

Scalford_2012_2.jpg

Who is right?
Robert or Keith?

S-Mans designs were sounding very clean and controlled in a sea of boom at Scalford that year.
I'll take a good clean controlled LF able to work convincingly at normal listening levels (with some headroom of course) over quantity and extension any day.
To have both is nice of course but you need the right environment to enjoy it. Something most hi-fi enthusiast don't have and why the fixation on huge bass drivers capable of massive SPL and excursion is misplaced IMO.

I do apologise ,do you have any photographs of the actual speakers and if you have in-room measurements that would be interesting too.
Keith

I do apologise
Keith

Very decent of you!

,do you have any photographs of the actual speakers and if you have in-room measurements that would be interesting too.
Keith

Not exactly exciting to look at :)

Scalford_2012.jpg

and if you have in-room measurements that would be interesting too.
Keith

Sorry I don't. But the nearfield measurements for the LF are ruler flat down to the 1st order rolloff. Any inroom LF measurements will just be a measurement of the room!
I'm not overly concerned about amplitude response, much more interested in transient response.

I think they look smart, I am familiar with frequency, phase and impulse response but what do you mean by transient?
Keih

I mean the ablity to follow an LF tone burst.
Please see fig 20 here:
http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/THE_REFERENCE/REF_White_Paper_preview_path_200514.pdf

This shows the output of a ported speaker versus its input for a tone burst of approximately the port tuning frequency. The output is delayed and takes at least one cycle to build up and to decay compared to the input. My speakers have measured acoustic output that looks very nearly identical to the electrical input signal, I suspect the Kii and DDs will also be measurably superior to most "legacy" speakers in this respect.

This shows the output of a ported speaker versus its input for a tone burst of approximately the port tuning frequency. The output is delayed and takes at least one cycle to build up and to decay compared to the input. My speakers have measured acoustic output that looks very nearly identical to the electrical input signal, I suspect the Kii and DDs will also be measurably superior to most "legacy" speakers in this respect.
When you are listening to your speakers in your room the time response of the axial room mode around this frequency is going to look like what?

I don't know what it "looks like".

My main room mode is at 35Hz, it's not difficult to hear that some notes sound a bit louder and hang around a bit longer than they should at ~this frequency. Subjectively this is far less intrusive with my current speakers (flat to <<20Hz) than is was with various ported speakers that rolled off above 40 Hz.
I can adjust the LF rolloff point. Lower sounds more correct, even though one could argue that more energy at the room mode frequency ough to cause more trouble.

Have a look at some of the feedback on the Kii Three at Dutch & Dutch 8c from Gearslutz. That audience is made up almost entirely of audio professionals.
Yep. As well as the reviews in pro sound magazines where the reviews (who certainly know what pro monitors sound like)said the Kiis were the best speaker and monitor they'd heard or had in their listening environment.

It’s Keith that suffers from sour grapes. I was interested in some Kii Threes. He offered to sell me a pair. I made other arrangements to listen to the Kiis. I bought some ATCs, and said why I preferred them. Keith is a belligerent and pushy dealer who attacks other members on here gratuitously. His own opinions and statements deserve critical scrutiny, and rarely survive it.

BTW, have you heard either the Kiis or ATCs?

Keith was the farthest thing from belligerent and pushy I can imagine. When I described my previous system to him, he actually discouraged me from coming for an audition, as he thought the Kiis were so different that I wouldn't like them. At the audition he made no attempt to sell me. Just let me conduct the audition and we chatted about music and a few other things.
I have heard ATC's. Good speakers. Less suitable to my needs. Could be the opposite for someone else.

advertisement

Back