advertisement

A thread to recommend decent movies on Netflix / Amazon Prime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1922, on Netflix. Adaptation of a Stephen King novella. Great central performance from Thomas Jane, and a fairly-close-to-the-source production.

Mick

Enjoyed Suburra very much.

Am now on episode four of Mindhunter. Set in the 1970s, it’s the story of how two FBI agents expand criminal science by being the first to study the psychology of serial murderers. Intelligent dialogue and very well acted. But needless to say, not one for kids or the faint of heart.

That is the next on my list before Stranger Things 2 comes along.

Murder, rivalry, revenge, betrayal, corruption and more murder, it's all in Suburra and that's just the good guys! Italo-gangster series with strong leading characters, tight script and wonderful backdrop of Roma. The moral is clear - get involved with bad people and sooner or later there is hell to pay.

Up there with the very best of Netflix.

I couldn't get past the dreadful dubbing-awful, reminded me of 1960's children serials like Robinson Crusoe/Pippy Longstocking/Heidi etc, just dire C-list standard voices. If there was a subtitled version I'd watch it.

Mindhunter is great-a slow burner.

Watched The Handmaiden last night on Amazon Prime. Very erotic, but an excellent story with some great acting. Korean with subtitles.

Mr Dynamite - profile of James Brown on US Netflix (not sure if it's on UK netflix). It's amazing that his childhood didn't doom him, though it left him with a lot of baggage. An interesting look at one of the most charismatic figures in US music.

I couldn't get past the dreadful dubbing-awful, reminded me of 1960's children serials like Robinson Crusoe/Pippy Longstocking/Heidi etc, just dire C-list standard voices. If there was a subtitled version I'd watch it.

That’s odd, it’s subtitled here - there are two unrelated programmes with that name, one a film, the other the TV series being referred to; they both have subtitles. Maybe it’s a settings issue at your end.

Mr Dynamite - profile of James Brown on US Netflix (not sure if it's on UK netflix). It's amazing that his childhood didn't doom him, though it left him with a lot of baggage. An interesting look at one of the most charismatic figures in US music.

Yes it’s available in the UK - I mentioned it earlier in the thread.

That’s odd, it’s subtitled here - there are two unrelated programmes with that name, one a film, the other the TV series being referred to; they both have subtitles. Maybe it’s a settings issue at your end.

I'm referring to the 4K series-I shall investigate further...

Just finished watching Startup on Amazon Prime. The fictional story of a cryptographic tech start up.

Martin Freeman is superb as a twitchy FBI agent. The accent completely fooled me, I didn’t realise it was him until I saw the credits. Excellent acting from the rest of the cast. Two series available.

Also agree Suburra is excellent well worth putting up with subtitles !

I’ve no problem with subtitles, but I thought the young gypsy villain was a bit one dimensional. There was a sneer and that was about it. Still enjoyed it though, and would recommend it.

The Mindhunters series on Netflix is interesting, if you want to know what makes serial killers tick while mutilating people and sexually abusing them.

The series is co-produced by Charlize Theron. It is based on the true life stories of two behavioural science FBI agents and a Dr of Psychology. They interviewed and analysed imprisoned serial killers to find out what drove them to their actions.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back