advertisement

Mytek Brooklyn DAC

So I’ve had 24 hours to listen to it.
It’s very impressive (but so is my current system).I’m using it between my cd transport and TagmcLaren preamp.It’s a little more refined,slightly tighter bass,more seductive than my MDAC . . . not substantial SQ improvement but very worthwhile.In short it does sound gorgeous.
However I’m experiencing problems with the headphone(Sennheiser HD650) as it sounds as if something is seriously wrong.The sound is muffled and distorted.The HD650 work perfectly in my present system.
I presume it’s simply a matter of connecting the headphone jack and not having to make any adjustments to get it working correctly?
I’ll have to have a chat with the supplier.

Thanks for the reply but what should I look for in settings?I presume by “settings”you mean what the screen is showing when the headphone jack is connected and music playing?
I haven’t adjusted anything from original factory settings.

There's two jacks, I use the left and switch output to HP via the far right button on the first page of options, scroll the controller all the way left.

Maybe you have a stuck relay so it thinks it's trying balanced out using both jacks?

I’ve done exactly as you say but sound absolutely crap compared to glorious sound when headphones connected to my Tag pre amp.and ,of course,continuing to have the Dac+ connected between my cd transport and Tag preamp.
Looking like a dodgy Dac+ and I’ll be having a word tomorrow with the supplier now that I’m more sure of what’s going on and knowing it’s not me doing something silly.
Thanks a million for your help.:)

Can you define “crap”?

Does it sound worse than plugged into any other source or does it just not sound amazing.

With my 600’s I much preferred a Schiit Vali to the amp in the Brooklyn. It was my least favorite part of an otherwise great unit.

It is grossly inferior to the gorgeous sound when played through my main speakers..It really is that bad.
It’s not poor sound quality.It’s “damaged” sound.
It’s obvious now that there’s a fault with the Headphone Output Section.

Gotcha. Yes, I didn’t experience that. Is it possible that you have the headphone section set to DAC only and not as an amp? I don’t recall being able to do that on the non-+ Brooklyn but maybe on the new unit?

Ok learnt something.

Main gives no hp output.
HP gives the correct output.
BOTH gives a muffled output, I assume this is both sockets as a balanced output for suitable headphones and defaults to the MAIN volume level

Ok learnt something.

Main gives no hp output.
HP gives the correct output.
BOTH gives a muffled output, I assume this is both sockets as a balanced output for suitable headphones and defaults to the MAIN volume level

MAIN = XLR and RCA output only (headphone output off)
HP = headphone output only (XLR and RCA off)
BOTH = headphone and XLR and RCA outputs simultaneously

Left headphone jack output unbalanced 0 degree phase. Right headphone jack outputs unbalanced 180 degree phase. Balanced headphone output requires a 2 x 1/4" jack to 4 pin XLR adapter which uses both headphone jacks and either HP or BOTH output mode.

It sounds to me like something is broken. Have a chat with your retailer.

So the Dac+ is going back due to headphone problem.
I’ve had plenty of time for leisurely listening through my room speakers and have to admit falling in love with the sound quality.
I can now clearly hear how superior it is to my Mdac(good as that is)
I’m greatly looking forward to permanently repeating the experience.

I’ve got a standard Mytek Brooklyn which I replaced a MDAC Fusion with and that was a big improvement. It doesn’t come properly to life though unless you get a linear PSU. I have an SBooster, big upgrade!

Actually I intend buying one next month.Who did you buy yours from?
I see various L.psu’s for sale but, not being the sharpest when it comes to technical matters,I need to see the unit being actually recommended for the Brooklyn and the Sbooster seems to be . . .pricey as it is.

Actually I intend buying one next month.Who did you buy yours from?
I see various L.psu’s for sale but, not being the sharpest when it comes to technical matters,I need to see the unit being actually recommended for the Brooklyn and the Sbooster seems to be . . .pricey as it is.

You want the 12-13V version for the Brooklyn. I have the latest MkII version in stock.

Lots of crap about linear psus for the Brooklyn on the web. D3spite daft claims otherwise it requires a psu that can deliver 1.2Amps for a couple of seconds them c 800mA constantly.

There's a cap directly in line with the dc input so claims of needing huge amperage are just rubbish, low impedance is what's needed. It sings quite nicely on 3x 18650 batteries in series or a bunch of parallel lt3045 regs.

Take a look at http://www.ldovr.com/product-p/dxp-1a5dsc.htm

I’ve got a standard Mytek Brooklyn which I replaced a MDAC Fusion with and that was a big improvement. It doesn’t come properly to life though unless you get a linear PSU. I have an SBooster, big upgrade!

Yes, a good LPSU will take it to another level in terms of sound quality.

Mine is a Qualiaphysic; not cheap but worth every penny IMO.

I'm with you on this. I have a standard one too, with a dedicated (and quite beefy) LPSU, and it's definitely a worthwhile improvement. I'd say similar to the standard MDAC to MDAC L2 TOY leap, well worth doing. No plans nor desire to change (I really doubt there's much to be gained by changing for a more expensive DAC at this level tbh).

advertisement

Back