advertisement

Mytek Brooklyn DAC

So after using the Brooklyn as just a headamp and DAC at my office for the last two months, I've switched my inexpensive Schiit Vali/Modi stack back in and I prefer the latter with my HD600's. I love everything about the Brooklyn, but I don't think the headphone amp is it's best feature (at least not with the HD600's).

The Brooklyn is a bit dry and not particularly tonally colorful. The Vali is simply more exciting and tonally rich.

Has anybody compared the Brooklyn with a Benchmark Dac1?
Not at the same time but I would expect the Brooklyn to be noticeably better than the DAC1, based on my memory of the DAC1 HDR against Audiolab kit.

Hi J. I also have the Mytek DAC and active speakers and use the headphone output to Sennheiser HD800s 'phones. As I think they deserve a better headphone amp I would like to connect one to the DAC.

I know I can use the balanced output to a headphone amp but how do you take care of the volume control as both the DAC and the headphone amp have volume controls.

Thanks for any advise you could give - Paul

Adam Active speakers, so no amp required :)

headphones are powered by a Stax 006T valve energiser however. This is connected to the balanced outputs from the Brooklyn, with the speakers being connected using RCA->XLR cables. I have it this way as the Stax headphones are way more resolving than any speakers I could ever afford, and so if there are differences to be had between XLR and RCA, they'd be more obvious to the ear this way. Sounds fantastic anyway :)

That's what I do. I have my Stax energiser connected to the balanced outputs from the Brooklyn, and my Adam actives to the unbalanced. All I need to do is remember to turn the volume back down to -20 to -30dB when I want to listen via the speakers, and back to 0dB when I want to do headphone listening. A minor nuisance, but liveable with....

No mono switch, no balance control, none of the Myteks have these as far as I can tell. That rules it out for preamp duties on my book.

[ QUOTE=badlyread;2894961]Hi People

Anybody using one of these? Impressions? Very interesting DAC that has me tempted.

Thanks in advance,

Neil[/QUOTE]

No mono switch, no balance control, none of the Myteks have these as far as I can tell. That rules it out for preamp duties on my book.

[ QUOTE=badlyread;2894961]Hi People

Anybody using one of these? Impressions? Very interesting DAC that has me tempted.

Thanks in advance,

Neil
[/QUOTE]

The Mytek Brooklyn has a balance control and a mono switch - see page 16 here:

https://mytekdigital.com/download_library/manuals/Brooklyn_DAC_Manual.pdf

The balance control can be operated via remote control which makes it particularly useful as you can dial the balance in from your listening position.

I’m not home to check for certain, but I believe it does have a balance control. Also has MM/MC inputs and an analog volume control. I really like it as a preamp.

Thanks for the correction. Glad to hear this.

Just yesterday I was talking to one of the Mytek staff manning their booth at the AES convention in NY City and asked him if either the Manhattan or Brooklyn had balance/ mono controls. He told me that they did not. Go figure.

The Mytek Brooklyn has a balance control and a mono switch - see page 16 here:

https://mytekdigital.com/download_library/manuals/Brooklyn_DAC_Manual.pdf

The balance control can be operated via remote control which makes it particularly useful as you can dial the balance in from your listening position.[/QUOTE]

OK, turns out the mono/stereo function is not so straightforward. According to Mytek the function works only on digital inputs.

Just received my Mytek Brooklyn DAC+.
It’s sitting on the table unopened as I’m enjoying the moment.
I finally gave in to temptation as I was seduced by the almost unanimous positive reviews from owners of the original
DAC.
So I’ll know who to blame if I don’t hear a noticeable improvement in SQ and have to return it.:D

advertisement

Back