advertisement

Active Monitor/Speaker User Roundup Thread

I had ATC SCM100ASLs for many years; have recently downsized to the somewhat more transportable ATC SCM 25As. They are absolutely wonderful. I'm using them with a Lavry DA11. Fwiw before buying the ATCs I tried some KH O300s - nice enough but not remotely as good as the 25s IMO.

ATC PA-65's with a Matrix Quattro Dac direct into them :)

6669452789_bc5c4b367a_z.jpg

Not so sure I've had that many stand-mounted speakers. Just thinking:

Tannoy M20 (my first 'proper' speakers)
Tannoy Chester (10" DCs - great fun, wish I'd kept them)
Neat Petite mkIII
AVI Pro Nine Plus (wish I'd kept these too)
AVI Neutron IV (still have in second system)
Alesis M1 530 actives

...everything else has been a floor-stander. Though I've obviously heard many, many more stand-mounts than the list above. Still stand by my statement, though; for my equipment, room and ears, the Adams just work beautifully...

Ditto . . . The standard of studio-purposed monitors is generally high - a pleasant change from the ragtag nature of domestic gear. Fostex, Genelec, KRK, Event, Focal - all very fine speakers, but - as you'll read widely - there is something special about Adams. At home, A5X flank my main work machine and a fistful of them (plus Sub8) comprise the home cinema. Heard many others, including some AVI offerings, but keep coming back to Adam.

keep coming back to Adam.

I'd love to try an ADAM folded ribbon in a box with tune-able cut off from, say 4K up, and filter slope adjustment. Not sure if it'd actually work in reality, but I'd like to try the ADAM high end on some bigger speakers without needing to shell out for their no doubt awesome but very much out of budget and ugly as sin main monitors.

These are my SCM25A stands (in production) which could be made to measure for any speaker :) section size is 50x25mm, HWD; 700 x 430 x 350mm
SCM25Stands3D-1.jpg

Open Frame FTW & 18 weld points. per stand. Not bad, is there a lot of grinding down to get the welds flat? My ATC100SL Classic stands had 32 per stand (4 x box steel sides top and bottom) but are a bit more feck-off and uncompromising. And I had access to a machine that basically did bridges to do mine. In fact these were marked up as Bridge footers.

Just come back from their respray. Looking reet puurdy. Shniny and oilicious like warm black gold.

ArvMllECQAAuYTe.jpg

Angle grinder to the feet at some point. Got the dome nuts ready. Yeee Haww!

Mitred corners and the cross bars butt welded (jigged up for accuracy). The whole thing will allow mass loading too. Although they look quite light they'll weight approx 30kgs each.

18 weld points. per stand. Not bad. (My 100 classic stands had 32 per stand (4 x box steel sides top and bottom) but are a bit more ****off and uncompromising)
Just come back from their respray. Looking reet puurdy. Shniny and black like warm black gold)

ArvMllECQAAuYTe.jpg

Angle grinder to the feet at some point. Got the dome nuts ready.

They are really nice :D
Do you just get a steel fabricator to build them?

I had ATC Active 10s for a while about 8 years ago. They were very nice indeed, but then I bought 15" Tannoys instead, which pissed all over them in just about every musically important way.

Open Frame FTW & 18 weld points. per stand. Not bad, is there a lot of grinding down to get the welds flat? My ATC100SL Classic stands had 32 per stand (4 x box steel sides top and bottom) but are a bit more feck-off and uncompromising. And I had access to a machine that basically did bridges to do mine. In fact these were marked up as Bridge footers.

Just come back from their respray. Looking reet puurdy. Shniny and oilicious like warm black gold.

ArvMllECQAAuYTe.jpg

Angle grinder to the feet at some point. Got the dome nuts ready. Yeee Haww!

18 weld points? who dya get that on a four pillar design?

File me under 'interested but not yet commited'. I'm very curious about the upcoming Neuman KH310 (O300 replacement), the ME Geithain RL906 or MO2, Unity Audio Rock and Event Opal. I'm not doing anything until the KH310 appears, which is apparently before end of this year according to scuttlebutt over at Gearslutz. I'm becoming increasingly curious about the little Geithains to be honest, I suspect they might be rather good despite being very expensive for their size.
The ME Geithain's are of great interest, but still haven't established where to demo them.

They look nice Spacey. What is the construction material, and are they filled?

Seemless high grade 1.5mm wall thickness, 50x25mm cross section rectangular steel. All joints will be gound flat, sanded and primed them PP coated in a micro textured matt black finish.

All fillable - yes. will have adjustable spikes or feet for timber floors.

I had ATC Active 10s for a while about 8 years ago. They were very nice indeed, but then I bought 15" Tannoys instead, which pissed all over them in just about every musically important way.

When someone uses language like that I wonder how good such speakers can be, given that they are being likened to a stream of piss.

Seemless high grade 1.5mm wall thickness, 50x25mm cross section rectangular steel. All joints will be gound flat, sanded and primed them PP coated in a micro textured matt black finish.

All fillable - yes. will have adjustable spikes or feet for timber floors.

Nice :D

18 weld points? who dya get that on a four pillar design?

The box section is small enough to go around corners in a 1-er. With all welds on the flat and grind back.

Wellt hats how I would have done out but I don;t do it for a living.

advertisement

Back