advertisement

Your YouTube Adventures

Lovely version, don't know who the lady is but thank god she did not put a 'spin' on it, great stuff.

Fascinating glimpse at the past.

Upscaled Studio has done a number of these film restorations. Their channel is definitely worth a browse.

There's a lot of these 'reaction' videos on the 'Tube. Here's a couple of favourites: Just Weaboo and Andy & Alex.

Yeah, I now know that reaction videos are a thing. And I agree with the guy with the long hair: Walter Becker's guitar playing is creamy and fluid beyond compare. Just so smooth...

Yeah, I now know that reaction videos are a thing. And I agree with the guy with the long hair: Walter Becker's guitar playing is creamy and fluid beyond compare. Just so smooth...

Larry Carlton surely?

Did you read the message in the link I posted?
" If you’re opted in to get emails about new uploads, live streams, and premieres from channels you’re subscribed to, these emails are going away on August 13th, 2020"

This is youtube deciding to stop sending email notifications anymore. No amount of clicking on bells will help with that. I've missed several new videos on channels I follow this week because... no notification emails anymore. Yes there is the bell icon at the top of the youtube page etc, but that is not the same as having an email that I can read or save for later, as I chose.
I've also missed a couple of livestreams that I follow this week because I relied on the email notification that the stream was starting.

The bell icon puts notifications on the youtube app. They have been saying this is coming for like ever.

Youtube app? I don't watch youtube on a phone, only on my pc. I'm sure there are work-arounds, but they are all worse and clunkier than just sending me an email notification, like I clicked the bell icon for, all those times, and has worked well for years.

Yeah I get that you are the .1% that used it, I don't use the app either but I have it on my phone so I can get notifications. That being said I tend to hit youtube every day anyway. IF you install the app and hit the bell icon then you get a notification on the front of your phone when something is occurring. Surely thats good enough?

Youtube app? I don't watch youtube on a phone, only on my pc. I'm sure there are work-arounds, but they are all worse and clunkier than just sending me an email notification, like I clicked the bell icon for, all those times, and has worked well for years.

The website in your browser is basically the same as the app and it has three ways of notifying you:

-- Those numbers (e.g "(3) YouTube") in the browser tab are the number of unread notifications so if you just keep a youtube tab open you can tell when you have notifications and then you just open the tab and look at the list off notifications on the drop down list.

-- Optionally enable desktop notifications if you want balloon notifications, although I find these intrusive and distracting.

-- Your subscription list will have a blue dot for new posts regardless of whether you asked for notifications.

Most people find the sum of all this more convenient than e-mail which is why the usage of email notifications is so low.

At least this is how it works on Chrome and probably other browsers. And as usual google did a terrible job of telling people about this so most people only find out about this when they google "What are those bracketed numbers in my browser tab all about?". Their focus is on phones because that is where their user base is (outside of oldsters like your average PFM member!).

On the wider point, e-mail is in a odd place now as it's basically been broken by years of abuse. So although the spam problem is now mostly fixed by Bayesian filtering and other techniques, email has been left as something that does little more than act as a way of proving (in non-secure contexts) your identity for things like registration. For most people email is still overwhelmed with the need for filtering, unsubscribing from lists you got on by failing to parse the "Do not uncheck this box if you don't want to receive messages from our selected partners" correctly and it's been mostly replaced by web and phone apps.

I really like the way YouTube works, though I’d argue you need a ‘smart’ TV or TV box to get the best from it. I do all the subscription management, searching etc on my iPad, and then everything is just waiting for me on my TV for easy navigation. As long as you are signed into both it all works seamlessly. I watch far, far more YouTube than proper TV these days and the quality is surprisingly good. Folk really can produce high-end broadcast quality HD content at home now.

advertisement

Back