advertisement

Your YouTube Adventures

Does that mean he's simply not allowed to make those videos? He's not making any money of them and, for legal purposes, making them in the US so I'm not sure UK law is even relevant.

It's YouTube operating in the UK, I think UK law would apply but I don't know for sure. That's what I was saying yesterday, YT is erring on the side of caution and a lot of Americans don't appear to understand

It's YouTube operating in the UK, I think UK law would apply but I don't know for sure. That's what I was saying yesterday, YT is erring on the side of caution and a lot of Americans don't appear to understand

As I understand it YouTube are just acting as a fairly impartial publisher and responding to complaints from copyright-holders should they wish to go further than the default a
demonetisation that I assume is fully automated/algorithm-based where the money is then paid to the copyright holder, I assume via PRS etc. This being why you can find countless full albums and live performances up there without any issue, but a very vocal minority of high-profile copyright-holders will block immediately they detect it. As such the argument isn’t really with YouTube at all, it is between YouTube content providers and certain copyright holders/publishing houses. I’m certain a huge number of musicians, likely a majority, will be perfectly happy for the exposure the platform brings as long as their work is fairly credited and not used as a soundtrack for anything ugly or inappropriate, even more so if there is a small but ongoing revenue stream.

As I understand it YouTube are just acting as a fairly impartial publisher and responding to complaints from copyright-holders should they wish to go further than the default a
demonetisation that I assume is fully automated/algorithm-based where the money is then paid to the copyright holder, I assume via PRS etc. This being why you can find countless full albums and live performances up there without any issue, but a very vocal minority of high-profile copyright-holders will block immediately they detect it. As such the argument isn’t really with YouTube at all, it is between YouTube content providers and certain copyright holders/publishing houses. I’m certain a huge number of musicians, likely a majority, will be perfectly happy for the exposure the platform brings as long as their work is fairly credited and not used as a soundtrack for anything ugly or inappropriate, even more so if there is a small but ongoing revenue stream.

Yes I don't imagine the musicians are very happy about it all.

There are some problems with preemptive copyright strikes although this is arguably more a function of US law which allows these immediate takedowns that assume the claimant is the injured party essentially just on their say so. Mostly YouTube and the system works against content creators and this has often used for blackmail or harassment.

But none of this applies to Beato as almost all of this videos are demonetised anyway and he knows this ahead of time. He basically doesn't care about the money and just wants to talk about the music he loves and his main objection is to people like The Eagles blocking his videos for a 5 second clip in a ten minute video.

There is a explanation of the differences between fair use (US) and fair dealing (UK) here : http://www.keepcalmtalklaw.co.uk/broadcast-yourself-within-the-limits-fair-use-on-youtube/ so possibly in civil cases you could sue in either. Most of the high profile ones like H3H3 have been in US civil courts though and you would think the plaintiffs would pick the UK if there were more advantage to suing there (as with libel for example).

But none of this applies to Beato as almost all of this videos are demonetised anyway and he knows this ahead of time. He basically doesn't care about the money and just wants to talk about the music he loves and his main objection is to people like The Eagles blocking his videos for a 5 second clip in a ten minute video.

Any other YouTube creators here? I've put a few of my videos up (running ones mainly) here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPfPgdD1X4KDG0UQC6cW39Q/ but spend most of my time being the editor-in-chains for my 11 year old son on his gaming channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/sorrendc - as he continues his quest to document his Minecraft (etc.) journey and grow his channel. Here's a typical video of his:

He's just past 400 subs, which is small beer but considering he was under 100 subs back in April he's doing well. His channel is boosted by one particularly successful video, though most have a few hundred views at most. Despite this, he's hoping to pass the 1000 subs / 4000 rolling view-hours threshold within the next year so that he can start monetising his channel and get taken a bit more seriously (!!). And to think when I was his age I just wanted to play outside, scrapping with pals and mucking about on the beach. How times have changed...

One that I watch and can recommend: Project Binky. It's brilliant.

... oh, and if you've not previously ecountered it, you're in luck. you can bingewatch; they're nearly finished!

Sorry, they are too fast for me, I have a Riley Elf Mini that I started rebuilding over 30 years ago, it's nearly finished too!

I can’t help wondering how much the insurance would be, or perhaps buyers don’t actually drive these cars.

If you want to know the reality of owning something like that, watch Harry's story of owning a Pagani Zonda.

Insurance was £6k pa (no doubt limited miles) with a £25k excess.

However if rare Italian hypercars are your thing, it buys you into a very exclusive community.

I can’t help wondering how much the insurance would be, or perhaps buyers don’t actually drive these cars.

A Gordon mentions in the video the F1 was designed to drive and many owners really did drive them regularly not least Rowan Atkinson who famously crashed his hard which led to the largest car insurance claim ever at the time I believe. One F1 has over 60k miles.

However as he has mentioned in the past they are worth over £20 million now so no one can afford to wreck one which is why he sold his own F1.

A Gordon mentions in the video the F1 was designed to drive and many owners really did drive them regularly not least Rowan Atkinson who famously crashed his hard which led to the largest car insurance claim ever at the time I believe. One F1 has over 60k miles.

However as he has mentioned in the past they are worth over £20 million now so no one can afford to wreck one which is why he sold his own F1.

My 200,000 Mile wooden pistoned Volvo 340 1.4 would leave this car standing! Strangely, it is considered a Classic car, and I get classic car insurance at around £135 per year, comprehensive and with breakdown recovery included.

My 200,000 Mile wooden pistoned Volvo 340 1.4 would leave this car standing! Strangely, it is considered a Classic car, and I get classic car insurance at around £135 per year, comprehensive and with breakdown recovery included.

You say that but nothing is faster than an Astra van ©TopGear

I was thinking of getting an F1 but not going anywhere near one with 60K miles on. Probably looking at cam trouble and a new clutch by now.

I was thinking of getting an F1 but not going anywhere near one with 60K miles on. Probably looking at cam trouble and a new clutch by now.

:D

Actually the clutch needed adjustment every 3-5000 miles according to GM. There is another Youtube vid from an american chap talkiing about the running costs. He seems a bit clueless to be honest and certainly has no clue what an F1 is for but the costs are eyewatering

:D

Actually the clutch needed adjustment every 3-5000 miles according to GM. There is another Youtube vid from an american chap talkiing about the running costs. He seems a bit clueless to be honest and certainly has no clue what an F1 is for but the costs are eyewatering

Phew! Dodged a bullet there.

Do cars even have cams any more? The last engine I was physically involved with was in a Vauxhall Viva in about 1979.

advertisement

Back