advertisement

Your thoughts on Well tempered

Er, Well Tempereds don’t exactly fall apart when you look at them, any more than Regas do. And once set up they need zero fettling.
I'm sure that's true, it's more the feeling of confidence you get, or don't. For example I was always nervous about the ceramic platter on the RP10 and it could break or chip if you dropped it. OK, you weren't likely to but it was something you were conscious of. And it wasn't a baseless fear. The platter on my deck had a small chip on the edge of the hole on the underside. Probably the result of clumsy fitting over the center spindle. An LP12 platter ain't going to chip like that.

Slightly off on a tangent, but I think as an aircraft engineer for 42 years +, then I look at the way it has been engineered rather than the way it looks. Function over form!
Simple is normally the best, known many people design over complicated ways to get an end result, just because it looks better!
I think most people would be horrified to see what is underneath most aircraft exteriors and probably wouldn't fly in one again!
Form and function are not mutually exclusive. You can have both. I've had a Caterham 7. They outperform anything this side of a Ferrari and a few Ferraris too. Want to drive one to the airport tomorrow at 0500? No, nor do I. However there are sports cars that do go and handle but are not a total PITA to own day to day. I'll choose one of them.

Form and function are not mutually exclusive. You can have both. I've had a Caterham 7. They outperform anything this side of a Ferrari and a few Ferraris too. Want to drive one to the airport tomorrow at 0500? No, nor do I. However there are sports cars that do go and handle but are not a total PITA to own day to day. I'll choose one of them.

But it's a record player, how 'rough and ready' do you ever get with one? It sits on a stand and spins around, I'm sure a WT could cope with the rigours of playing a record at 5am, maybe not at the airport though I'll give you that one.

I'd love to try one, one of very few TTs that pique my interest.

But it's a record player, how 'rough and ready' do you ever get with one? It sits on a stand and spins around, I'm sure a WT could cope with the rigours of playing a record at 5am, maybe not at the airport though I'll give you that one.

I'd love to try one, one of very few TTs that pique my interest.
Be my guest, if you want to pay £2k for a few bits of drainpipe and a golfball hanging from some fishing line. I've heard one, it was great. It looked like junk and for the same money I could have a Garrard or a Linn. I chose the Garrard. But others are free to choose too.

Be my guest, if you want to pay £2k for a few bits of drainpipe and a golfball hanging from some fishing line. I've heard one, it was great. It looked like junk and for the same money I could have a Garrard or a Linn. I chose the Garrard. But others are free to choose too.
Get that but I really like how it works. Now in my dotage I'm thinking, my hearing is probably sliding and 2K for a new cart is a really silly bit of stupid old man stuff. So my new thing is that Denon DD with a nice MM cart. If I ever get around to it.

Last edited:
Awful looking things, but the engineering simply turns preconceptions of what make a good deck on their head. They're as well engineered as any sme, just from a totally different school of thought. £1000 plus on finely honed, tapered stainless Steel bearing housing and spindle, nah well just use a bit of tube with two notched bits of plastic in it.

It's genius and they sound great.

Just spoken to the man, the myth, the legend Derek Whittington and revision very much team well Tempered. I don't mind the looks at all I think it looks nice butbi also think nottingham analogue decks look nice.

Do they take a lot to maintain ? Sure does sound like it butbi guess the question should be how hard is it to maintain. I dont do arm or cart setups. Im just not delicate enough. Big hands and crappy eye sight has put me off. Plus not wanting to break anything worth a lot.

Lol I'm thinking that.
Seriously. You can enjoy a modest turntable just as much as an expensive one and without the worry of costly accidents. With an inexpensive MM cartridge and robust turntable you don't think about the cost of the deck and just enjoy playing records. Even careful people can and do break cartridges, I've done it. I know someone to broke a brand new 5K Dynavector. It's a consideration.

Seriously. You can enjoy a modest turntable just as much as an expensive one and without the worry of costly accidents. With an inexpensive MM cartridge and robust turntable you don't think about the cost of the deck and just enjoy playing records. Even careful people can and do break cartridges, I've done it. I know someone to broke a brand new 5K Dynavector. It's a consideration.
So rega p10 it is then lol.

ATM I have a p1 Sitting on top of a cd player plugged into my gold note ph5 phono. Sounds fine. Little bugger is noisy running wise. A lot more cracks and pops compared to the technics and hana combo. Is that to be expected?

So rega p10 it is then lol.

ATM I have a p1 Sitting on top of a cd player plugged into my gold note ph5 phono. Sounds fine. Little bugger is noisy running wise. A lot more cracks and pops compared to the technics and hana combo. Is that to be expected?
Not really. The cartridge on the P1 has a conical stylus which tends to be very forgiving of record dirt and damage. The Denon DL103, which was designed for broadcast use, has a conical stylus for that reason. Carts and turntables vary a lot on how they handle record wear but the P1 is quite good in this respect.

I would have though a Technics might be an ideal turntable for you?

The WT once it’s set will be rock solid. But, if you’re saying you’ve got crappy eyesight and big hands yeah. Maybe not. The arm hangs off a support and you set the support up so it’s centered in the cup of silicon, the azimuth is adjustable by twisting the hanging grommet and the VTA adjusted by the height of the hanger.

So about the the worst deck possible to setup for shaky hands and poor eyes. And it’s hand cued which I find fine but there’s no lift. Unless an aftermarket lifter could be put on (believe it can)

And it’s hand cued which I find fine but there’s no lift. Unless an aftermarket lifter could be put on.
I use the lift more than I used to, in the past I hardly used it all. Virtually never lift the needle off manually now.

To be fair, I suspect that Well Tempered decks are a little quieter in the background than most Garrards. I have an Amadeus, a Sondek and a couple of 301s, and as a platter spinner the Amadeus gives no ground at all.

To be fair, I suspect that Well Tempered decks are a little quieter in the background than most Garrards. I have an Amadeus, a Sondek and a couple of 301s, and as a platter spinner the Amadeus gives no ground at all.
Don't get me wrong, they sound great. The later ones look better too. However they should do at £4000 a go, that's a lot of money. My experience of seeing them in real life is that they looked cheap. Indeed one I looked at, an early one with the gloop pot made from PVC plumbing pipe, for sale used in a shop at £500, sounded great but to put it politely looked like a 6th form Technology project. I bought an LP12 next to it, which sounded very good, if different but looked a million dollars in comparison. These things have to live in the home, they need to be domestically acceptable. Especially if they are expensive.

advertisement

Back