advertisement

Your thoughts on Well tempered

My Simplex is a mk1, probably 6 years since I bought it and it's still on the original belt but I do give the platter a gentle spin like you would with a Nottingham Analogue deck. Also have a Little Fwend automatic arm lift so I don't have to jump up at the end of side.
It's a great turntable, very good value and i doubt you would be disappointed with it.

I’ve had 2, an Amadeus GT and a Versalex with the improved arm with arm lift.
Sound wise they are incredible, at the same time I also had a Sme 20 with a V tonearm and I preferred the Well tempered.
Of the 2 I preferred the Amadeus, sound wise no discernible difference just preferred the ease of use without the arm lift.

My Amadeus GTA is still on the original belt. The squash balls need changing when the rubber hardens - Wilson red dot (bouncy) ;)

Hi Gav, how do you tell when the squash balls need renewed? Sorry if that's a daft question :)
The rubber hardens and sticks to the surface so it stops providing much/any suspension. I don't notice on the wall shelf but on a stand you maybe would. Nobody seems to sell 4 packs! It seems they come in threes and 12s!

Hi Gav, how do you tell when the squash balls need renewed? Sorry if that's a daft question :)
It's a bit of a piece of string question but given that they cost next to nothing and it's not complicated, you could start the bid with 5 years. That's when tyre manufacturers reckon that car tyres are starting to be past their best. Or you can give them a poke. If they are dry and old looking, replace them.

I've never heard a Well Tempered turntable but I've never heard a single person say that they heard or bought one and didn't like it. For me the ergonomics matter. I want a proper lid, arm lift, solid build etc I have never considered one.

I want a proper lid, arm lift, solid build etc I have never considered one.
They have all that minus the lid except but the simplex doesn't pass the solid build test in my view nor does it have the arm lift. It's trivial to order a perspex cover.

My Amadeus GTA is still on the original belt. The squash balls need changing when the rubber hardens - Wilson red dot (bouncy) ;)

Jim Firebaugh said he chose red dot as they are designed for coaching and are more temperature consistent.

Sure you can go all 'audiophile' and try different spots and the differences will be fantastic.

Hmmm wonder if Synergistic Research could make a quantam squash ball.

I've never heard a Well Tempered turntable but I've never heard a single person say that they heard or bought one and didn't like it. For me the ergonomics matter. I want a proper lid, arm lift, solid build etc I have never considered one.

Slightly off on a tangent, but I think as an aircraft engineer for 42 years +, then I look at the way it has been engineered rather than the way it looks. Function over form!
Simple is normally the best, known many people design over complicated ways to get an end result, just because it looks better!
I think most people would be horrified to see what is underneath most aircraft exteriors and probably wouldn't fly in one again!

I replaced my 30 year old LP12 a few years ago with a Well Tempered Record Player.
Totally unrefined piece of kit but sounds wonderful with the stock arm and a Lyra Delos.
It’s got a Perspex lid, so I’ve never had to change the oil.

It's trivial to order a perspex cover.
No, I want a proper, hinged lid. Too easy to drop a lift off cover and damage something and it's a faff I don't want. To me it's not about sacrificing all for the sake of performance. It's a record player., a means to an end and easy usability is part of that.
Slightly off on a tangent, but I think as an aircraft engineer for 42 years +, then I look at the way it has been engineered rather than the way it looks. Function over form! Simple is normally the best..
I generally agree but there is a limit. I love the way Rega design their turntables, that focus on performance above all else, but in practice I found the RP10 too delicate and fragile. For me there is a balance which solidity and usability need to be a part of.

Never heard one but I'd like to. I do think it's great to have such an out of the box thinking fella design a turntable. Really enjoyed reading his articles.

The look & feel of a TT is very important. Not sure I could live with a Well Tempered but I do like the thinking behind it.

As I’ve said before I was a little underwhelmed with the appearance & perceived value of the P10 but plenty will disagree. I do think the P8 looks nicer but I’ve not handled one.

advertisement

Back