advertisement

Your thoughts on Well tempered

Dean Jordan

pfm Member
I have zero experience with well Tempered but know they do some interesting designs when it comes to there turntables and arms.

Please if anyone of you have experience with these please do tell.

Good, bad what goes well with them.

I know dynavector where or are still distributed by the same company so I have seen them together.

My first sight of Welll tempered was with Derek Whittington at new audio frontiers in Loughborough many years ago

Please share your thoughts

Exceptionally good turntables. I’ve had both an old Reference and still own an Amadeus 254 and they’re superb. I’ve spent long periods listening to others’ WT decks as well. They’re great, if you can get over the idiosyncracies and the know;edge that you’re paying for the lateral thinking and development work rather than parts costs; they’re made out of pretty affordable materials that are common, such as fishing lines and squash balls. They work well with lots of cartridges, not just DV.

Pros: SQ per £ they are unbeatable. I use a Cadenza blue on my Amadeus GTa. Will last forever So long as you change the string and goo.
Cons: A dust magnet, no proper cover. Fiddly and a bit of a faf.

I went from a Rega RP6 to an RP8, both excellent decks, then to a WT Simplex mk1. The Simplex is just so nice sounding, very analogue rather than CD sounding and seems to dig into the recording. Very easy to set-up and seems to stay set-up. I did buy a dust cover for mine. Used with a DV xx2 mk2 cart and DV P75 mk4 phono, simply stunning! Had the Simplex now for about 7 or 8 years!

Sound great. Lousy ergonomics. Look like a 6th form engineering project made from cheap materials in a shed and this appearance ages badly. Later models look better. As others say, you pay for the sound quality, not the parts. The parts are cheap,and they look it.

The latest ones ( well I’ve had my Simplex2 for about 4 years) are superb if you can tolerate the unusual build.

to be honest, once it’s playing you just forget all that .

A couple of tips

Use as little “damping “ as you can get away with , the sound is livelier that way

They sound better (IMHO) without the mat, but make sure you get your arm parallel .

Third party lids are available, John at Pear Audio can advise.

advertisement

Back