advertisement

Your thoughts on Well tempered

So about the the worst deck possible to setup for shaky hands and poor eyes. And it’s hand cued which I find fine but there’s no lift. Unless an aftermarket lifter could be put on (believe it can)
You used to be able to get one for the old arms but no longer, unfortunately. I've fitted an AT end of side lift, which helps quite a bit.

What I like about the Well Tempered decks is that all the thought has gone into the crucial junctions where bad stuff happens. The platter bearing is better by design; the belt is better by design; the motor mount, the torque ratios, the arm bearing - all better by design. That's why they sound great, not because the wand-wood comes from a tropical timber plantation run by amazon virgins on ayahuasca.

BTW, if you're beginning to struggle with cuing an old WT, get a bit of string and tie it tight around the wand behind the headshell with a spare inch pointing upwards - safe, comfortable, cheap, ambidextrous and non-resonant. I'm surprised Bill Firebaugh didn't think of it.

BTW, if you're beginning to struggle with cuing an old WT, get a bit of string and tie it tight around the wand behind the headshell with a spare inch pointing upwards - safe, comfortable, cheap, ambidextrous and non-resonant. I'm surprised Bill Firebaugh didn't think of it.
For me I'm now forced to cue left handed, which is inconvenient anyway and I'm not left handed. They went to the trouble of looking in the factory for me but no arm lifts remain, sadly! I had been quite comfortable cuing previously and so I didn't buy one when I had the opportunity!

What it requires is a simple plate that clamps around the adjacent cylinder to act as a base to hold a third party arm lift.

Agree. I've used the Supatrac aim lift and it's very natural after the first couple of goes.

For me I'm now forced to cue left handed, which is inconvenient anyway and I'm not left handed. They went to the trouble of looking in the factory for me but no arm lifts remain, sadly!

What it requires is a simple plate that clamps around the adjacent cylinder to act as a base to hold a third party arm lift.
Have you tried string? You might learn to like it quite quickly. With the right length and gauge it stays erect, but floppy enough that it can do no harm if you have a downwards twitch. I found string helped me to cue left-handed on a two-arm deck with the arse-about-face left arm.

Because of the gunk WT arms don’t plummet but descend slowly. Cueing was a non issue for me.

advertisement

Back