advertisement

Your most underrated band/artist.

Wooden Wand. James Jackson Toth and whoever he drags in. Albums I recommend are Death Seat, James & The Quiet or in fact any after Death Seat.

haha...yeah, it's not for everyone... will check Pantha du Prince, and Visions Of Darkness tho... :)
I decided it's not for me either. I prefer more rhythm and structure, but I will check out his other albums. At least my new 'phones are comfy; I fell asleep with them on!

I decided it's not for me either. I prefer more rhythm and structure, but I will check out his other albums. At least my new 'phones are comfy; I fell asleep with them on!

rostro is a sublime track imo...

you could listen top 'martes' and 'being human being' by him.. :)

After my modern jazz contribution who was a performer who happens to be the opposite of a household name, in the realms of classic rock I really do think that John Lawton deserves more recognition. Sure, he had a brief time in the spotlight with Heep but these days he's hardly remembered, though bizarrely he's quite a big draw these days in Bulgaria.

For me he really is up there with Dio, Coverale, Rodgers and Gillan.

The Durutti Column...

....Vini Reilly has a back catalogue that since the end of Factory embarrasses bigger ex Factory bands like New Order.

The Durutti Column...

....Vini Reilly has a back catalogue that since the end of Factory embarrasses bigger ex Factory bands like New Order.
I'm still waiting on the re-issued 2xLP of "The Guitar And Other Machines". I've ordered it from two different shops locally but it's not here yet. Piccadily Records are the last resort for mail order.
(Any news on Vini health-wise?)

There was a story that Vini was working on a brand new album but was arguing with his producer about the release.

Also Bruce some time ago said DC would be playing live in March - but I haven't seen anything further on this.

I bought the Guitar 2xLP and 3xCD sets direct from Factory Benelux Mail Order (they both arrived in December)

Kevin Ayers. I dismissed him as a feckless piss-artist for thirty or more years, but how wrong I was. The first five albums (those in the ‘Harvest Years’ box) are excellent. Sadly it did go a bit pear-shaped after that.

Mike Westbrook (English Jazz band, group, orchestra leader)

Good call - and still producing interesting music in his 80s.

My vote goes to Neil Ardley. There's an entire school of British Jazz from the 60s/70s that is now largely forgotten (though Gilles Peterson did give it a voice around 15 years ago).

I remember those 60/70 days discovering Marching Song, Celebration, Mama Chicago, Love Songs and the William Blake stuff. It is such a shame that it is now forgotten. It is still fresh to me after all these years.

advertisement

Back