advertisement

Your Loudspeaker history...

Leak Sandwich. Can’t remember
JR 150's. Quite good round metal things
Linn Kan’s. Use to regularly bottom out the cones!
Linn Sara’s. I blame these for my 15 year absence from Hifi
Monitor Audio BR6. Lots of bass, mmm

It's interesting how often the Kans come up. Why did we all own a speaker that had no real bass?

Cheap clones of Wharfedale Lintons - 1 year
Monitor Audio MA5 - 10 years
Videotron Minimax2 - during college years
Quad ESL 57 - 1 year
Yamaha N100 - 2 years
B&W Solid - Main for about 1 year and now in storage
Acoustic Energy 100 - Main for about 1 year and now on AV duties
ProAc Tablette 2000 - 6 years
B&W 805s - 1½ years
Naim Allae & Nsub - current

Were your Wharfedales E series monitors?

I don't think so, but I can't actually recall - I got rid of them about 10 years ago. They had white (bextrene?) bass & mid drivers, and unusual flat, rectangular, foam-covered, treble drivers. The treble was the best thing about them (or at least, better than the metal domes that were common elesewhere). They did suffer from the slow bass (although lots of it!) common to many Wharfedale/Leak boxes.

I finally, finally got hold of a pair of IBL Mk IIs yesterday, but found them to be a little disappointing. The treble is nice&clear, but even my Kan IIs have more weight and bass to them!!?? Will I be stuck on Kans for ever?

Next up for a try: SBLs. Although I fear they won't cure either. Any opinions?

Hoiho,

No I don't think they were E series either from your description. As I remember E series were huge and stuffed with loads of drivers, visible through a black metal mesh, all wrapped up in an eyecatching "real style" black ash vinylette veneered cabinet. They also had knobs for adjusting driver output levels.

I was immensely impressed at the age of 12 I guess, despite never hearing them. Apparently though they were harsh enough to strip paint.

They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Cheers,

Rich

Next up for a try: SBLs. Although I fear they won't cure either. Any opinions?

Tobi,
Have a look at Garyi's SBL set up guide on the Reference part of this site. They don't do slamming bass, kick drums don't really kick, but you will hear every bass note and precisely when it started and when it stopped, which is a lot more than you can say for most speakers you can buy for £450. The mid-range is to die for - liquid, clear, dynamic.

From the very beginning:

Wharfedale Denton XP2s :rolleyes: we all start somewhere I guess
Mission 700s - got a bit wearing after a while
KEF Coda 3s - great all rounder
Linn Index 1
Linn Index 2 - very under rated speaker IMHO
Linn Keilidhs
KEF Cresta 1
Linn Kan mk1 - absolutely no bass whatsoever
Naim SBLs

Wharfedale Linton 3XP - the midrange surrounds began to sag and cause the voice coil to buzz.
Mordaunt Short MS 25i -still got the mint cabinets/crossovers in the loft. I quite like these speakers.
Yamaha NS-300-Hugely powerful but useless with music.
B&W DM602 S3 on Atcama SL400's - The John Major of loudspeakers, they managed to make the bonzo dog doo-dah band sound boring.
Yamaha NS-1000M - my best so far though I was very impressed with a pair of RMS Revelation 1's I heard last week.

1. Mission something (NZ 1985 or so) - had the drivers reversed with cream facings - gave them to mother-in-law

2. Lambert something (NZ brand) - mid size floorstanders - sold them to get to UK

3. Cyrus 780 - Richer Sounds - not bad, can't remember what happened to them, but wish I had kept them

4. Acoustic Energy AE109 - still got them boxed in the cupboard - are they any good???

5. Jamo Cornet something - second hand from a Exchange & Mart store, Melbourne Australia - limited but did a good temporary job - still trying to give them away

6. B&W DM303 - got 'em for £40 off eBay - sound OK - still using them as I have no money to upgarde

Mission 716s

Lovely bookshelf speaker, couldn't moan especially at the age of twelve, really gave them a good thumping and are still used in a third system

Paradigm Monitor 7s

Not the best sounding speaker, but a huge improvement in the bass stakes, again only at the age of 14 felt that I had the worlds best speakers.

B & W CDM1

Now 16 I felt this was a Fantastic speaker, although I felt that the treble was not as exquisite as the Mission above, possibly being down to a metal dome tweeter, something I discovered to be the vain in my life, just far far to tinny.

Rega ELA mk1s ripe old age of 22 by now

Trully fantastic natural sound across the entire range. This pair are not original, they have a new version of the bass driver which is found on the current ELA. Some lack in the bass regions, but my next speaker will explain

Rega ELA mk1s aged 26 now (one of the first three pairs built by Roy Gandhi and Derek Frost)

Fully original with all drivers in excellent condition. Thought my first pair were good, but lacked bass, this pair on the other hand are even more amazing, they are producing amounts of bass that seem absolutely out of this world for such a small driver. Derek actually sold them to me a couple of months ago and had told me, thet they were origianlly running through some huge home made monoblocks rated at 365 wpc. These speakers simply, have given me hours and hours of enjoyment as should all good hifi. They are connected to a full exposure system, whcih seems to suit them perfectally.

Currently trying a pair of Cain & Cain Abby speakers on the second system, again a full exposure system. Wonderful on stringed instruments.

Realistic (DIY c. 1976)
KEF/Peerless (DIY c. 1977)
Realistic (DIY c. 1978)
KEF/Peerless (DIY c. 1979)
Realistic X100 (1980)
Wharfedale Diamond II (1985)
Realistic Mach 2 (1988)
B&W DM600 (1992)
TDL RTL3 (1995)
Mission 731i (1997)
Mission 773e (1999)
Castle Conway 3 (2003)
Dynaudio Contour 1.1 (2005)
Wilson Benesch Arc (2006)
Triangle Celius (2006)
Zu Druid MkIV (2008)

Kef Q10

Bose 301 V

Mordaunt Short Avant 908i

Jamo D266

Eltax studio Pro 350

Mission 753

Mission 750 LE

Acoustic Energy Ageis 1

Acoustic Energy Ageis 3

Linn Keilidh

Linn Sara

B&W DM602 S2

B&W DM601 S1

Goodmans Magnum.
Rogers LS7.
Arcam One.
Linn Kan.
Audiomaster LS35A.
Rogers LS35A,with Rogers subs.
Pro-Ac Super Towers Mk.11.

Don't sound like many for 35 years after looking at some of lists above.:)

Wharfedale Linton 2
Sinclair (can't remember model no., but small pseudo-panel "full-range", ha-ha, design) - only used in digs at uni.
KEF Coda 3 (saw some rewiring and other mods over the years)
Rogers LS1 (good in a small room)
B & W DM601 Mk 3

Heybrook HB1's --My starter system, kept for about 3 years

Gale 301's--Loved em, a really under-rated speaker

SBL's--Had them for about 10+ years, couldn't find anything affordable & better until.....

Totem Forests.--- Superb. They need a bloomin good amp with lots of bass control & I can't see me changing them unless I somehow get a bigger house & bigger music room, in which case, Totem Winds will be #1 on the Audition list.
Matt.

Pioneer Bookshelfs (454?)
Yorkshire HiFi 1/3
Gale 401
Snell J/II
Lowther Audiovector Auditorium
Snell K
Vitavox Oracle

Mission Model 70 Didn't everyone have a pair of these?
Heybrook HB1 IMHO - Terrible!
Linn Index-II Not as bad as some say!
Linn Keilidh Gutsy little floorstanders!
Linn Kabers Better, but somehow less enjoyable...
Tannoy Saturn S8 Great Bass, sod all else!
ProAc Super Tablette (still have in kitchen)
ProAc Response 2S Smooth but rather boring.
DIY Wilmslow Audio Vogue Stonking bass, lacked refinement
DIY ProAc Clone 2.5's Nearly as good as...
ProAc Response 2.5 Fine, if given room to breathe.
ProAc Super Tower Mk-II (My favorite Scanspeak ProAc! -
ProAc Response 3 A Real dissapointment - Stark & Sterile.
ProAc Response 3.5 Better than the 3's, but still not as easy to live with as the Super Towers.
ProAc Super Tower Mk-II Keeping these - Stopped looking for speakers :rolleyes:

Wharfedale Diamond 3 (about 5 years - still in loft)
Celestion 5 (about 15 years, now with a mate)
Celestion F30 (about 5 years, sold on)
Acoustic Energy Aesprit 300 (currently in lounge)
pmc db1 (in office/listening room)

I think I have a problem with speakers, I am just about to buy my 5th pair this year and it is only June. My lady, Ms Fox can't understand this, thinking about it neither can I. I need help.

Realistic (DIY c. 1976)
KEF/Peerless (DIY c. 1977)
Realistic (DIY c. 1978)
KEF/Peerless (DIY c. 1979)
Realistic X100 (1980)
Wharfedale Diamond II (1985)
Realistic Mach 2 (1988)
B&W DM600 (1992)
TDL RTL3 (1995)
Mission 731i (1997)
Mission 773e (1999)
Castle Conway 3 (2003)
Dynaudio Contour 1.1 (2005)
Wilson Benesch Arc (2006)
Triangle Celius (2006)
Zu Druid MkIV (2008)

1. DIY kit (c. 1975)
2. Spendor BC1s (1977)
3. Linn Kans Mk1 (1981ish)
4. Linn Kans Mk2 (1985ish)
5. Saras (1987?)
6. Bariks (1989)
7. Rega Kytes (1998)
8. Royd RR1s (2002-present)

Tried the Druids recently. Fantastic speakers but just couldn't get them to work properly in my room. Annoying resonance at about 90Hz & 180Hz. Very dissappointing. Tempted to move house just to try them again.

advertisement

Back