advertisement

Your Loudspeaker history...

Mission 761s
Paradigm Monitor 9s
Sony (some old 70's bookshelf speakers - total crap TBO)
Rega ELA mk1s (with new bass driver - not the royd driver)
Rega ELA mk1s (3rd pair of the first three pairs ever built - hand tweeked by Mr. Ghandhi himself and also Derek Frost - original royd bass driver)

IMHO I really do not think I have to change speakers for quite some time, the ELAs are just amazing, I can only state that this is because they were hand tweaked, as the 1st pair of ELAs I have, are absolutely no match to the originals from Derek Frost. A very happy purchase from Derek at only £75.

Dynaco A25's
Mordaunt Short Pageant 2's
JR 149's
Heybrook HB 3's
Linn Kan 1's
Naim IBL 1's (still got these stored away)

So that's the first 35 years sorted!

Shahinian Arcs
Quad els 57's
Quad 989's

And that's the last 5 years sorted!

Royd A7
Heybrook HB1
Kan 1
Kan 2
Briks
ATC SCM10
Kan 2 again
Kan 1 again
SBLs

It's taken 25 years to get through that little lot. My current SBLs will be staying for a while (the briks lasted 15 years and I still miss them)

Epos ES 11 ( The first speaker that actually sounded like a guitar, I got It!)
Linn Keilidh ( my 'review' buy, stopped listening to music, became interested in telly)
Epos ES 14s ( swapped with a dealer for the above and started to listen to music again )
Epos ES 11 again! ( the last recession and tax bill,went back to a 110 and thought the 11s would cope better)
Naim Credo ( liked these and the start of the 'nice decade')
Linn Isobariks ( never, in spite of vast upstream expense, got them to work for me and should have bailed out years ago)
Epos ES 14s again! ( music restored, Briks behind the sofa)
Neat Vito ultimatum( a best kept secret and IMHO the best sub 2k used buy for the LP12/ Naim owner)

Tannoy Mercurys (mk1) - still in use with a friend of mine
Musical Fidelity MC4s (mk1)
Linn Kabers
Impulse Lali
Impulse Ta'us

I've also played with some Kefs and Mordant Shorts for rear speakers and in second systems.

A very low turnover compared to some of you!

Mordaunt Short Pageant II's - my first through Uni
Epos ES14's - some time later until I trashed them with a NAP 140 of all things
ProAc Mini Tower - not quite sure why I did that, zero bass
Epos ES30's - I've never found anything I preferred to these

I've now added ES14's in the bedroom and ES11's in my office.

An even lower turnover than DuncanF!
First speakers I bought - Celestion Ditton 44's.
Second speakers - IMF Professional Monitor Mark IV's.
These have been part of the family since 1982, and still sound wonderful (but they have been extensively modded!)
I would never part with them.

wharfedale diamonds
mission 737r's (not for long!)
tannoy m20 golds
morduant short floor standers, swapped for tannoys
linn keileeeees
totem dream catchers, may go for arro's before Christmas.

horrid Teac pair: cheap, didn't know any better, only lasted a few months.

Energy ESM-4: used them for years while I followed advice to upgrade sources to get them to sing... they never really did.

Heybrook HB1: second incarnation from the 90s, lovely fast efficient revealing dynamic musical speakers, if sometimes a bit spitty in the treble. Very well built. A bit big for my current lounge, sadly. Still have them.

Wharfedale Diamond 2: bought for very little just after I got the Heybrooks. Amazing lil things given their cheap tweeter and all, readily improved with a capacitor upgrade and internal bracing. A tad more polite and sat on compared to the Heybrooks (they'd benefit from a stronger amp), they still turn in a coherent, emotional performance, and are ideal for our small lounge.

There, my first PFM post :)

B&O something or other, circa 1971 about the size of B&W 601s
AR19 during university and a few years afterwards
Epos ES22 when it was time to get something decent
KLS9 (Hifi World design with thicker cabinet and Morel MDT30 tweeters - cheap and very good)
PMC AB2 (I'm pretty much done now)

I've still got the last three pairs although the ES22s aren't in use I can't bring myself to sell them

1960s. (1) Elac single drivers - own box. (2) Tripletone cabinets - (3 units, make unknown) 1970s.(3) Dynaco A25s ( original '70s model ) (4) Cambridge R40s (briefly) (5)Celef Monitors (6) Monitor Audio MA5s (6) Spendor BC1s ( I still have) 2000 on. (7) Wharfedale Diamonds - original model (I still have) (8) JBL Control 1s ( I have still ) (9) JBL Control 5s ( still have ) (10) Audiomaster LS3/5as ( Still have) . Martyn .

I was scrolling through and noticed DCM Time Windows. Intriguing name... Were they not the same size as Quad ESLs? With dynamic drivers? (+ American & expensive) Martyn .

Epos ES 11. The first speakers that actually sounded like the instruments.
Linn Kieldhi ? The first buy influenced by five star reviews. Mistake 1.
Epos ES 14. Straight swap for the above. Music restored.
Epos ES 11 again. (The last recession forces downgrade of amps and speakers.)
Naim Credo. Liked these although a bit thin in my new big room. (The 'nice decade' begins)
Linn Isobarik. Never got these to work in spite of lots of up stream money influenced by dealer advice. Mistake 2 and 3.
Epos ES 14 again. Gave up on the Briks. Music restored.
Neat Vito Ultimatum. Finally completely satisfied. (The next recession looms)

started with mission 760i
castle warick
monitor audio something (late 80's)
kef q30
kef q35
mission 773e
quad 21L
pmc gb1
atc scm11

Short history :

-late 90s with a pair of Cabasse Farella
-mid 2000s : Dynaudio 52SE
- Dynaudio Contour 1.4s
- Audiophysic spark (only for a fortnight)
- PMC FB1+
- PMC OB1

won't change for a while

advertisement

Back