advertisement

YOUR favourite reference track

Joan Baez - Diamonds & Rust
Norah Jones - One Flight Down
JJ Grey & Mofro- King Hummingbird
Katie Melua & Eva Cassidy- What a wonderful world
Michael Jackson - Ben
Shirley Bassey- Big spender

They just about cover all the bases. The surprise is hey big spender, a stunning recording...

I normally use either Patricia Barber Cafe Blue ( 1st Track - I've mentioned to friends over and over, you could play this record on a boom box and it would still sound nice ) or Isao Suzuki Quartet - Blow Up ( track - Aqua Marine ) to test out systems bass response as well as their abilities to respond to warmth along with nimbleness of said notes. Regards, Oscar

I have to agree but I like a taste of honey its so well recorded its great.

I have to agree but I like a taste of honey its so well recorded its great.
I have to agree and have just recorded it onto R2R as part of a compilation of Favourite tracks ;)
However that said this CD is recorded at a very low level so I had to EQ it up a lot to get it up to a normal listening level of the other tracks :confused:
Note I don't listen to LOUD compressed music.

Alan

The whole of Alone together (Konitz, Haden, Mehldau), a few tracks of Pop Pop (Ricky Lee Jones), The book of leaves (Rachel Grimes). The latter is a surprising recording, because it seems to change enormously depending on the gear used, much more than most recordings.

I agree, I often use AC/DC as a tester. In the same vein Lil' Devil by The Cult.
Agreed, another great track, DC needs to project & drive as do the cult so a great test to see if your system can handle this. Needs to be played loud which is another good test of your systems power handling.

BT - Never gonna come back down, this track will test if your system can handle dance music & bass slam, if your sitting down when this is played loud your system is doing something very wrong.

Will dig out the track later but Archie Shepp. Very special saxophonist for test tracks worth checking out.

Found it! 'The Thrill is Gone' magical track

Laura Marling - Failure

Tells me almost all I need to know. It's simplicity allows me to focus on any differences in tone and there is a surprising amount of bass that I have heard some speakers really struggle to define at volume in my room.
I'll then put on a high tempo, complex track from someone like Arcade Fire, Raconteurs or Gorillaz to see how the system keeps up and seperates all the individual parts.

To check my record player for tracking and w&f and cartridge for correct allignment: Joan Armatrading Love by you, for overall system clarity and speed, Barry Gibb Lesson in Love (vinyl track played to death now). Also recommended for "hifi-ness" are Olivia Newton-John albums Physical (someone hit the loudness button on the first track Landslide!) and Soul Kiss (impressive sounding!)

advertisement

Back