YOUR favourite reference track

Bob Dylan, "Tell Ol' Bill"
Lou Reed, "Turning Time Around"
Leonard Cohen, "Tower of Song"
Lisa Ekdahl, "Vem Vet"
The Associates, "Even Dogs in the Wild"
Dave Brubeck, "Take Five"
Suzanne Vega, "Tom's Diner"
Jochen Distelmeyer, "Regen" (all 4 versions)
Blumfeld, " Draußen auf Kaution"
The Doors," Queen of the Highway" - Jazz version.
Van Morrison, "Moondance"
Michael Jackson, "Billie Jean"
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, "She's Leaving"
Rammstein, "Haifisch"

''So, to the point, what is my favourite reference track? I'm delighted to say I haven't got one.What is my favourite piece of music? That's another matter entirely.''

Well said.

You Look Good To Me Oscar Peterson
Flamenco Sketches Miles Davis
Ilê Aiyê Caetano Veloso & David Byrne
Listening Wind Talking Heads
You Don't Know What Love Is Sonny Rollins
The Paris Concert: Edition 1 Bill Evans especially first three tracks
Take Five Dave Brubeck
Who Can You Trust Morcheeba
True Love Ways Buddy Holly
Crosseyed and Painless Live Toronto 1980 Talking Heads
I Love Paris Ella Fitzgerald

and lots of the stuff listed above

''So, to the point, what is my favourite reference track? I'm delighted to say I haven't got one.What is my favourite piece of music? That's another matter entirely.''

Well said.

A reference track is simply one I know well and enjoy (with the result being I have heard them in many different sonic contexts over the years). I'm delighted to have loads of them. Then again, I'm also delighted I don't have to "audition" hifi anymore.

Have tested a few of the items listed and it must be said that each to his her own…But using Spotify to test them..Still a long way to go.

Someone mentioned trumpets / sketches of spain. I find trumpets to have a lot less higher harmonics than something like saxaphones. I find saxaphones better for judging the realism of the tone and also the positioning because of all the additional harmonics. I think piano might be more difficult to reproduce than both though...

Someone mentioned trumpets / sketches of spain. I find trumpets to have a lot less higher harmonics than something like saxaphones. I find saxaphones better for judging the realism of the tone and also the positioning because of all the additional harmonics. I think piano might be more difficult to reproduce than both though...

You might have a point, given I'm listening to Coltrane : Africa Brass at the moment, also has some very fine percussion. Very left/right balance in the recording, mind you.

John Coltrane: Afro Blue (from Live at Birdland)
Beck: The Golden Age
John Lee Hooker: Country Boy
My Bloody Valentine: Only Tomorrow
FKA Twigs: Water me
Mark Hollis: The Gift
Slint: Washer
Rhythm & Sound: Mash Down Babylon
Miles Davis: It's about that Time

First track on the turntable with any new kit is "The Voice" from I robot by Alan Parsons then........................
"Domino" from In a Blue Garden by Masters of Reality
"Lena is a white table" from The Walking by Jane Siberry
"The Three great stimulants" from Dog eat Dog by Joni Mitchell
"Solid Air" from Solid Air by John Martyn
"Armageddon Time/ Kick it over dub mix" The Clash 10 inch
"Suspended in Gaffer" from The Dreaming Kate Bush
"No Quarter" Houses of the Holy Led Zeppelin
"Kerosene" from Atomizer by Big Black
"Juanita/Kiteless/To Dream Of Love" from Second toughest in the infants by Underworld
"Rhinoceros" from Gish (original pressing) by the Smashing Pumpkins

This album sold me a pair of Naim SBLs years ago in a hifi shop somewhere in Leeds.

Cassandra Wilson - New Moon Daughter

It is an amazing recording and sounds very haunting, bringing out the best of a range of instruments and a haunting deep husky and soulful voice.

Recommended - Hell Yeah! - it's still one of my reference albums

if you hear it and are not impressed, i'd eat my proverbial yorkshire flat cap!!

I always take 3 cds when going to a demo
Mary Chapin Carpenter - Come ON Come On for the title track
Acoustic Alchemy - Back on the Case for The Alchemist and Jamaica Heartbeat
Yes -Pretty much any album for whatever the mood takes me
I find these give a good all round feel for the sort of music I mainly listen to.
I certainly don't subscribe to the 'take your worst recording' Also thanks to Mongedavid for his clip of Wafa-Abela, certainly and artist I will be checking out in the near future.

Anarchy In The UK or Pretty Vacant by the Sex Pistols, Ive used this a few times at high end dealer demonstrations and the look on the guys face is priceless, they are also very good tracks

advertisement

Back