advertisement

YOUR favourite reference track

georgeeasten

pfm Member
I'm sure everyone has a track that they keep coming back to when testing their latest setup.

Personally mine is: Paul Simon - Diamonds on the soles of her shoes.

I love the composition and soundstage. Also there is a wide range of speeds, instruments and frequencies throughout the track. Nice bass and some difficult highs on some of the vocals (highs that my system didnt cope well with).

Plus I just love the track.

I appreciate that this is kind of useless for others (unless you know the track) but I was interested to see other peoples 'favourite' tracks when referencing...

A Stolen Coda , Green fingers ..its a demo CD by a local band , very little compression and very simple production ,love its dynamics and the playing is excellent.

I like to demo a few different things, to make sure the system will work with all of my music. No point having a system that sounds great on audiophile pressings and awful on anything else.

I usually start out with Tigerlilly by Natalie Merchant or Woodface by Crowded House. If this doesn't sound good then nothing else will. Then I try some 1970s bass-light rock, like say AC/DC or Thin Lizzy: make sure that sounds acceptable. Then out comes a good classical full scale orchestral recording. I have a Decca Verdi Requiem that I like for that.

I couldn't put my finger on one track. If I get a new toy / setup (which is rare) then a marathon listening session is required where I go through as much of my music as possible.

Paul Simon - Trailways Bus. Tells me everything I need to know about a system's performance, and I never tire of the track.

Jan

Dolly Parton, Little Sparrow.

Wonderful, grainy voice perfectly recorded, helped by the cream of bluegrass musicians. And it's this way a double bass should sound like.

Have a few.

'Nutshell' from Alice in Chains, Jar of Flies.
If a system can't get visceral with well recorded rock, I dont like it.

'Jaleo' Louis Winsberg.
A ''desert island disk' for me. I don't know why, I normally prefer straight Flamenco to crossover, but theres something about this album. I normally play through several tracks.

Those are my go-to's.

The first track from "Kind of Blue," because of the strong bass extension and then different sounds all the way up.

Mario Biondi - This is What You Are

Whole album is superb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryan Adams - Elizabeth, You Were Born To Play That Part from 29. That's my current test track.
It has exquisite delicacy, dynamics, and it builds to something else towards the end. If it can make me amazed at the genius of this man, then my system is working fine.

This is great. :D

Seeing these tracks is giving me an uncontrolable desire to expand my music collection!! Really like the Mario Bondi track - I am going to buy the album. :)

I love the multitude of tracks from all genres that give the range needed to test a system.

Keep 'em coming!

Much like Sean I tend to listen to quite a few different pieces of music when I'm assessing a prospective purchase or trying to ascertain if I have set my system up properly after a good faff with my CD of sine waves! I always think a good system can do Simon & Garfunkel, Slayer, Tchaikovsky, Pendulum, Bowie, Lady Gaga etc. etc. ad infinitum... Everything basically, I have very eclectic tastes, but even if I didn't I would tend to assume something was wrong if a system could say do classical, but not rock - accurate is accurate!

Tracy Chapman, Fast Car is my usual first track, partly for nostalgic reasons (first song I heard through a "proper hi-fi" vinyl fronted system), but also because between the vocals and the bass it quite quickly shows up the systems character and draws attention to any issues. Monotonal bass or crossover/driver integration mucking up vocals - if I suspect the latter I usually skip on to Behind The Wall - the vocal only track makes it clear!

Slayer, Raining Blood is quite often the second as again it can very quickly highlight deficiencies in a system, especially jitter/speed instability, lack of power, poor dynamics. Played at a fairly high volume it is a torture track of sorts - the most common criticism of that sort of music is that it is just noise, and on a poor system it is - on a very poor system you can't even separate the guitars and the drums! On a good system - well it might not be to your tastes and will probably offend your sensibilities if you're naive enough to think they take anything they sing about seriously, but I don't think anyone who has tried to or does play guitar, bass or drums in a band could fail to be impressed with the speed and complexity of it - more importantly the better a system is, the easier it is to discern which instruments are making which noises!

After that, bit of classical, bit of less aggressive rock, bit of compressed pop... - depends what I feel like really, I sort of proceed randomly on a "wonder what that sounds like" basis. Imogen Heap, Hide and Seek is a recent addition to my favourite demo songs too, I know that reverb is digital - you can tell (or should be able to), but whether it seems to wrap around you or is stuck between the speakers tells you something!

'Nutshell' from Alice in Chains, Jar of Flies.
If a system can't get visceral with well recorded rock, I dont like it.

:D Like your thinking! Must buy a new copy, no idea what became of mine and my fiancée's copy* has been scratched beyond even using a computer to retrieve the data :(

*it's uncanny how many duplicates we have post merger!

Steely Dan 'Aja' title track.
Superb recording - about as good cd recording can get and even better on vinyl.

Oh dear this is where I embarrass myself but these go back many years and many demos...

Bruce Hornsby - The Way It Is (instrumental version) 12"
Michael Jackson - Man in the Mirror (CD and vinyl)
Junior Walker - Roadrunner (CD)
Rodrigo - Concierto d'Aranjuez (CD)
Steve Winwood - Roll With It (12" version -vinyl or CD)

And the most embarrassing........ Time of My Life - Medley and Warnes (12")

If I were to take only one track is the Jacko track.... quite haunting at the start.

advertisement

Back