Beck - Golden Age and Paper tiger
Norah Jones - Don't Know Why
And then maybe a Melvins track off of Stoner Witch

JJ.Cale-Mama don't
Steely Dan-Babylon sisters ,Aja...
Donald Fagen-Ruby baby
Coleman Hawkins-Nihgthawk album
Gary Burton -Dreams so real
Gary Boyle -Grumble (one of the best sounding track ever)

For a short time I used Neat Petite III with an NVA AP10P in a small room.

Daft Punk's ''Motherboard'' was enjoyable through the above system IME.

S.

These are the three I tend to use more than any others. Probably due to them being tracks I am very familiar with.

When you can hear the low B string on Marc Johnson's bass, your system is getting there, bass extension-wise.

I use this one to hear how much detail the system has - you should be able to hear the geese by the lake.

And this one to show up how well the system can reproduce complex stuff. At the point that all the sequences are running there's a prepared piano motif which needs a good HiFi to pick out.

Last edited by a moderator:
PFM is surpassing itself a really good thread on testing! Thanks to the many who have made suggestions will be seeking a lot of them out.

Very interesting thread, I will follow up on some suggestions. I have 3 favourites:

Lyle Lovett "Joshua Judges Ruth" track 4 North Dakota, a great CD very well recorded, particularly the sound of cymbals and the decay of the notes, for resolution

Dvorak "Russalka" with Rene Flemming on Decca, again lovely music with a massive soundstage, you tend to get with opera

Shawn Colvin " Cover Girl" first 2 tracks, a bit compressed, but again lovely music.

All I think that matters is the music is very familiar to you, so you can hear differences easily

As mentioned before, I don't tend to have "reference tracks" as I tend to probably have a different approach to many.

If however anyone really wants to hear a system sounding mighty impressive and "present", then I thoroughly recommend seeking out Side A of Richard Thompson's Some Enchanted Evenings vinyl EP on MoFi.

As mentioned before, I don't tend to have "reference tracks" as I tend to probably have a different approach to many.

Mate, I reckon you're the same as me - my "reference tracks" vary from mood to mood and from time to time.

Back in the 80's, I'll freely admit to liking Me Myself I from Joan Armatrading, so probably bored every hifi shop to death with that one.

advertisement

Back