advertisement

Your best ever upgrade

As the subject is your best upgrade ever, without mention of source, amplification or loudspeakers, I am surprised to see that no one mentioned a loudspeaker upgrade. Swapping loudspeakers have always been the most significant change in my system.

Good point.

In my case, digital room correction allowed me to buy speakers that go deeper without causing any of the problems you often get with such speakers (bass boom, difficult positioning, etc.).

As the subject is your best upgrade ever, without mention of source, amplification or loudspeakers, I am surprised to see that no one mentioned a loudspeaker upgrade. Swapping loudspeakers have always been the most significant change in my system.

I did mention moving from dead DM2s to Castle Howards

A pair of Mission 744 speakers.
I was stuck with an unsatisfying system of LP12/Ittok, Naim 32.5/hi-cap/160, IBLs and it sounded so lame that I packed it away for a while when the first baby came along and sold off the LP12.
I eventually set it all up again after maybe 2-3 years and splashed out on the Missions just to scratch the itch. It wasn't the Missions that were especially good themselves, but the fundamental change that brought bass and punch excited me again and within a few months to a year or two I had a pair of 135s, 52/Supercap, CDS1/CDPS and SBLs, and now a Nottingham turntable.
If those Missions hadn't fired me up again, I guess there is a chance that I'd be now using an integrated system of some sort. For what they cost they were bloody good, and I'm kicking myself for trying to live with the IBLs for so long and only becoming more and more disheartened.
Those Missions changed everything.

Isobariks put a smile on my face. Also I am impressed by Naim amplification but their speakers suck :)

Arcam Black Box 5 to a Naim DAC/XPS tag team combo (best £2750 I ever spent) - **** me sideways and call me Elvis...AWESOME!

I replaced the interconnects between the transport and DAC of my KW25 cd from the MF supplied cable to ones from Artisan Silver, and was amazed, so amazed I went and replaced all the other cable with Artisan Silver, replacing some very nice Kimber cables, and now my MF M3, KW 25 and PMC Ob1s sound really good, and at a price that was not outrageous. I am very happy whether its Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Mahler or whatever it all sounds so good I just listen to it for hours. And old discs like early Mother of Invention no longer sound at all hard to listen to, everything seems that much easier to make out what they intend it to sound like.Amazing

Best upgrade ever was getting my 1982 NAP 250 recapped. Yup that baby had gone almost 30 years without a service, what a difference!

Inheriting a pair of Tannoy Kensingtons. I have owned and heard many good speakers, but these were a revelation. Fully supported the "speakers first" view of the world in the system hierarchy.

Nic P

Inheriting a pair of Tannoy Kensingtons. I have owned and heard many good speakers, but these were a revelation. Fully supported the "speakers first" view of the world in the system hierarchy.

That's easy to say when you've already got an Acoustic Precision Eikos CD player at the front end. :p

My best ever upgrade was understanding loudspeaker design and building my own that I can voice to suit my taste. This pair is my BIGGEST (literally) upgrade to date.

10465252-md.jpg

James :D

advertisement

Back