advertisement

Your best ever upgrade

nice work james....

are the bass drivers lurking out of shot? oops spotted one in the bottom section.

great work as usual fella.

Thanks Darryl and Jim. If you're ever in New Zealand, I'll be more than happy to host a visit. You can read more about their construction in this thread.

James

My best ever upgrade was to separate from my highprice stereo In 2000
and also no more reading in boring Audio journals, and back to older hifi.
Since 2002 I am a proud owner of an over 30 year old Receiver from Harman Kardon, the “Citation”. By me it was full recapped and modified with some other funny stuff like big LS Terminals made of copper and some repairing jobs.
The Citation, my selfmade “Sonus Faber ElectaAmator” and my PreCirkused LP12 with OL SilverMkIII and AT180ML make me cry, everytime they play!

In 1983 I switched from an old ERA turntable to a Ariston RD-80. Still THE upgrade for me, from lo fi sound to HiFi sound and, blimey, there was music to on the records!

JohanR

My best upgrade?
Oh this is a difficult question to answer!

When I replaced my ESS AMT 1B with a much bigger loudspeaker system (really full range) and the matching amplifiers, the sound change was huge.
Actually great BUT for my taste hearing classical music the preamp and CD-player weren't accurate enough to enjoy the much bigger soundstage.

So maybe my best upgrade was when I bought a approx. £30k CD - DAC combination. Just brilliant but wait a moment I'm sure that the loudspeakers, preamplifier and amplifiers helped to hear the differences. This was noticeable went sometimes some guests bring their electronics with.

Or was my best upgrade when I switched to a much more powerful amplifier for my low frequencies? Well to say the truth the soundstage didn't change in size and I wouldn't say that the coloration changed but when I played big orchestral music (Mahler, Bruckner, Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Berlioz...) with peaks of over 100 db(A) it great to hear how the sound during these peaks became so stressless and accurate.

Thinking about my over 40 years Hifi curriculum, it is incredible how much I use the Acoustic Revive RL-30 not only for LPs, CDs but mostly for cables. Yes, I know, I'm fooling myself so much but that's life and for me this was and still is after 3 years a great upgrade: Maybe not such with a crappy system. No, the loudspeaker change was surely a much bigger sound difference. On the other hand I cannot listen without using the RL-30.

No wait a moment maybe the best upgrade was when let my room be treated acoustically from a professional. Well to say the truth if I wouldn't have an accurate system I wouldn't like the sound also with the room treatments. So maybe not the best upgrade.

Well guys, I don't know which was my best upgrade. Oh my god, now you have given me a big problem.

My best ever upgrade was to separate from my highprice stereo In 2000
and also no more reading in boring Audio journals, and back to older hifi.
Since 2002 I am a proud owner of an over 30 year old Receiver from Harman Kardon, the “Citation”. By me it was full recapped and modified with some other funny stuff like big LS Terminals made of copper and some repairing jobs.
The Citation, my selfmade “Sonus Faber ElectaAmator” and my PreCirkused LP12 with OL SilverMkIII and AT180ML make me cry, when they play!
Surely they can't be that bad, can they? :)
Seriously though, I am very interested in your homemade SF Electa Amators, as I run the real thing in my main system. They are quite a difficult load for amplifiers I find, but sound stunning when you get them working at their best.
Can you please tell us more about your home made ones.

Surely they can't be that bad, can they? :)
Seriously though, I am very interested in your homemade SF Electa Amators, as I run the real thing in my main system. They are quite a difficult load for amplifiers I find, but sound stunning when you get them working at their best.
Can you please tell us more about your home made ones.
7 Years ago I came to two Sonus Faber SF 180 drivers via ebay.
Dynaudio Esotec D-260 tweeter where in my inventory for 15 Years at that time, at the same time, I googled the Diy forum, there I found data of the orginal Electa Amator1 crossover. The cabinet I build up with a front panel from shale especially made for me by Fischer&Fischer. www.fischer-fischer.de

Upgrading from an Arcam Alpha 8 CD player to a Meridian 206 CD player to get a real insight into how much detail a CD player can offer.

advertisement

Back