advertisement

Your Best Audio System Upgrade of 2023?

A Denafrips Pontus II + Ares DDC, which will almost certainly be my final DAC upgrade, particularly as Alvin continues to provide firmware updates, free.
And the Slider pre-amp, which instantly convinced me that my preferred sound needs valves somewhere in the chain, and later on that even at my age I can still appreciate differences in sound as components settle in.

They tie for 'best' because both helped me realise how good Mark Audio MAOP drivers can sound when given the chance.

When I used my Gaias with my Martin Logan Ascents I noticed the I no longer felt bass being transmitted through the floor boards. Hence bass reproduction was improve. The Gaias were isolating the speakers from the floors the exact opposite to what the spikes the came with the speakers were doing.
My current speakers, Verity‘s have isolation built in.
I used specially designed townshend platforms with my summit x and made huge difference to bass control

I also use isopuck 76 under my verity

I seemed to have gone the other way to most by going from a Technics 1210 GR to an LP12 (Cirkus, Valhalla, Rega arm). Kept the AT33ptg/2 cartridge that I upgraded to from a AT540ml earlier in the year.

Sold my nice little Meridian CD player and purchased a Mac Mini M1 to store the rips and play from Roon alongside Tidal. I like it and sounds better than the CD player now the Chord Mojo 2 is added.

Of the two I think the LP12 is the more special and therefore the winner.

For my main system, I upgraded my speakers (Dali Oberon 5 to Dali Optikon 6 Mk2) and PSU for my SoTM sMS-200 NEO SE streamer (broken generic wallwart to iFi Power X or whatever it's called), and I experimented with the Addis pad combo under various electronics.

Only the speaker change made an audible difference, so that wins. A bonus mention: upon purchase and deciding what to do instead of the included spikes, I discovered that some "Acoustifeet" that I had lying around fit the bases of the Optikons precisely. That is, the radius of the Acoustifeet was the same as the radius of the outer curve of the feet of the speakers. However, I didn't bother to A/B with anything else, so no idea if they make an audible difference. They just cheaply and neatly save the floor from damage.

In my office, I replaced a too-short wallwart with an annoying orientation with a MCRU-LDA LPSU for my studio monitor controller (with built in DAC, where a Primare streamer is connected); and I installed a good amount of GIK acoustic treatment, braced my desk to reduce resonance, put washing machine isolation pads under the desk, and cheapo thin acoustic panels on top of the desk to reduce HF reflections.

Again, I couldn't hear any difference with the LPSU, but obviously the various acoustics tweaks made a huge combined difference, so they won for this room.

Start of the year, I bought a few sets of Mogami 2497 RCA cables from audiocables.eu, for source and pre-power connections... They really are pretty good.
Later in the year (received between Xmas and NY), I bought a Gustard A26 DAC. It really is very good. I thought my Schiit Gungnir Multibit was good, but the improvement with the Gustard is definitely worthwhile to me... more spacious sound and bass is punchier.

I only use it as a DAC (i.e. built in streamer is not connected), connected via IIS from my streamer.

Cannot say that this was an upgrade as such but I acquired a Avondale Audio RMS Genesis turntable complete with it's TAPS psu.

Managed to get it up and running with some much appreciated assistance, Avondale modified Rega RB250 and a Hana SL cartridge and it sounds amazing, mounted on a Apollo wall shelf to go alongside my Voyd/SME V/ Hana ML.

2 things to mention probably: Neat Petite Classic speakers and Plixir Elite power supply
I wanted to demo the Petite Classic but wanted a real wood finish, the dealer spoke to Neat who said there were no plans to add to the black or white finish. I bought my Proac DB1s and then Neat brought out a wood finish. I love the DB1s so I’m not too bothered but the choice would have been nice.

Glad they’re working for you.

Cheers BB

I seemed to have gone the other way to most by going from a Technics 1210 GR to an LP12 (Cirkus, Valhalla, Rega arm). Kept the AT33ptg/2 cartridge that I upgraded to from a AT540ml earlier in the year.

Sold my nice little Meridian CD player and purchased a Mac Mini M1 to store the rips and play from Roon alongside Tidal. I like it and sounds better than the CD player now the Chord Mojo 2 is added.

Of the two I think the LP12 is the more special and therefore the winner.
Interesting move. What spec LP12 did you get and what do you think? What do you hear that's different?

As you suggest, lots of us have gone the other way and enjoyed the change. I think it would be great to hear from someone who has gone the other direction and I for one am genuinely interested in your experience.

Not an upgrade per se but the best buy I've had this year is a s/h Rega IO. Not just a great budget amp but a great amp full stop.

Throwing in a pair of Wharfedale Denton 80's bought for a great price just reaffirmed my belief that the law of diminishing returns kicks in at a much lower price point than most on here are prepared to admit.

TS
I had one, missed it, bought another. For 2ndary office system - such a good amp. Agree - full stop.

Line pre from Nelson Pass. B1 with Korg Triode.
Easy to build, phantastic sound.
Better power supply, better MKP caps and star grounding are bringing it to another level.

Replaced my old speaker cable with some Mogami 2972 - lets the flavour flow through!

Taking my battleship Denon DCD-3520 to @Mike P for some repairs & tweaking - I’ve never heard it sound so good, post-fettle 8 )

The highlight of last year (and the last 3 decades, to be frank) was buying a LehmannAudio Stamp power amplifier on a whim, just to see what it was like.

This uses the (long disappeared) Tripath chip (genuine chip though, unlike quite a few alleged cheap Tripath amps out there) in a very high quality implementation (see web site for details). I've always liked Tripath amps from when Bel Canto used them in their Evo product.

The Stamp replaced a Moon 330a (a very good amp indeed), preceded by a Chord Ultima 6, Bel Canto Ref 501s, Bel Canto 600M and a few others. In my system, the Stamp is head and shoulders above all of these. It produces an amazingly open and engaging sound, with a vast soundstage. The speakers are wonderfully controlled and bass is tuneful and fulsome. Sounds really do just hang in the air. Attack and decay are all just spot on.

This amp only produces a low output, so certainly not for many systems. However, if you have 90dB+ speakers, with a reasonably benign impedance curve, then you really should give one of these a go. I listen at around 70-78db about 2.5m from the plane of my speakers (Zinglai Neo Sei). I have tried the system at much higher levels; no sound of compression or the amp having any difficulties at all.

The amp casing is sealed, so avoiding dust contamination. The casing does not rise above the room ambient temperature. The amp uses a couple of watts, at most. Virtually nothing when no signal present. It's small, so it's tucked away out of sight. It is completely silent. No nouse from the amp. With no signal and my ear in the horn of a tweeter on my i2dB sensitive speakers there is no detectable nouse at all. No hiss. No hum. Nada.

I've had dozens and dozens of components over my 45+ years with hifi system. This is probably the real stand out product for me.

In the right system and room, you'd have to pay very serious money to better this. I liked this amp so much, I subsequently bought another one (both new), just in case of any future problems. I very much doubt I'll buy any more amps.

advertisement

Back