advertisement

Your Best Audio System Upgrade of 2023?

Subito

pfm Member
Mine was quite unexpected; I had grown to truly loathe the obnoxiously bright white LED on the front of my Schiit Modi 3+ DAC. I saw that Amazon sold stick-on discs that can dim LED brightness, but the thought of spending even $10 on those to enhance a $99 DAC seemed silly.

Then I scanned my desk and noticed several Taylor faux-tortoise shell guitar picks, and bingo, I had my solution. I just leaned the inverted (pointy end facing up) pick against the Schiit’s curved silver faceplate and suddenly I had an art installation.

Not only was the LED now just a soft orange glow, the rounded corners of the triangular pick resting against the DAC’s radiused front panel yielded a lovely juxtaposition of shapes and colors.

And it was free, just the kind of upgrade I like!

What was your favorite system improvement for 2023?

Where do i start ? Adding a bel canto eix to tannoy system .seems to gel with joe henry f5 . Then superb moon 330a power amp in verity system ,my my thats a beauty .smooth and powerful .thats a fraction of what i did in 2023 !

Beacuse they’re the cheapest, without a doubt the Addis pads. I played around with them when #windhoek first let the cat out of the bag and they are still in place under nigh on everything.In equal 2nd place MikeP’s blue belt and JohnR’s insoles.

Not an upgrade per se but the best buy I've had this year is a s/h Rega IO. Not just a great budget amp but a great amp full stop.

Throwing in a pair of Wharfedale Denton 80's bought for a great price just reaffirmed my belief that the law of diminishing returns kicks in at a much lower price point than most on here are prepared to admit.

TS

Not an upgrade per se but the best buy I've had this year is a s/h Rega IO. Not just a great budget amp but a great amp full stop.

Throwing in a pair of Wharfedale Denton 80's bought for a great price just reaffirmed my belief that the law of diminishing returns kicks in at a much lower price point than most on here are prepared to admit.

TS
That sounds like a lovely combo.

Updated my DSP filters from home audio fidelity and added the ear measurment (HRTF head related transfer function) filters.

Pound for pound the best upgrades I’ve done (although the HRTF is an incremental one compared to the huge stepup the normal and x-talk filters give).

.sjb

I have a lot of changes to choose from as I upgraded everything except my speakers. However, it was the final upgrade that I think was best, getting an NVC TT phono stage and the NPX TT power supply.

Martin,

Didn't change a thing; just spent more time with it .

I haven't changed anything in the beeeeeeg Tannoy system in ages, but putting together a little office system (NAD 5000 CD player, Marantz 2215b receiver, Royd Sorcerers) was the smartest hi-fi move I've made in ages. I spend a disproportionate number of my waking hours in the home office so might as well put the music where I tend to be.

Q34jMdJ.jpg

Note the placement of Marchy, strategically between Jacqueline du Pré, Angela Hewitt and Joni Mitchell. Pro tip: Use zoom function.

Joe

lazer spirit level.

The lazer has facilitated accurate speaker positioning, with easy plotting of the positioning with stickers on the wall behind the listening position.
cheap and easy - like me,

Great thread idea @Subito
I've been very spoiled upgrade wise this year. The Dynavector pre amp was a system wide upgrade in terms of dynamics and the NA Spacedeck hammered the Linn for the same reason.
Also..... Repairing my Magneplanars actually improved their bass response. Thanks again @Colin131.
Biggest waste of money this year was a bluesound node streamer. Upgrading my streaming set up is something I've abandoned. My current thinking is that streaming sound quality is 99% down to your dac. Chromecast, Primare and Node all sound identical through the same dac.
I think that new year is complete bollocks but if you celebrate it..... Best wishes to you and yours.

A Shatki Stone Air taped over my breaker panel box (directly over the breaker).Most think of these devices as “voodoo” but I can say without a doubt THIS has been the biggest upgrade to the sound of my Hifi in over 20 years of being in this hobby!
Have you been on the bubbly !!!! :)

advertisement

Back