advertisement

Your amp history...

and which amplifiers I like most.
I discovered Onix OA21 in Paris in the end of the 80's. I had allready AR mst speakers and bought at this time a Thorens TD318 with Dynavector karat low inmut. Some years later I discovered the AR 2ax speakers and bought them cheap but needed an amplifier for this 2nd system. Ion obelisk 3 x + xpack2 came from e bay.
I am a vinyl fan but choose 2 cd player the Philips 104 and the magnum.
I needed more turnatable as my 318 and karat where dying from age. I bought the 165 Torens with the dynavector 20x high output, the logic tempo with rega bias and the technic 1400 mk2 with ortofon om20.

Now I connect Ion obelisk with the Technics and the AR 2ax, my 2 nd system Onix OA21 with logic tempo and the MST.;););)

Lloyds All in one.
Zenith ?? Tuner
Harmon Kardon PM 640
Naim Nait 1
Naim 32.5/160
Naim 32.5/Hi/160
Naim 72'd 32.5/Hi/160
Naim 72/Hi/160
Naim 72 with Neils boards/Hi/160
Naim Neiled 72/Hi/135s
Naim Neiled 72/TeddyCap/135 - No plans on changing for the foreseeable future.

(Nait 1 is in storage)

Amstrad
Cambridge Audio P60
Creek 3040
Naim 42/110
Added Snaps, then HiCap
42/HiCap/160
32/HiCap/160
32/HiCap/135s
52/Supercap/135s

I wish I still had my P60

Spacey, this is fascinating. I though nobody in the UK had one of these. I heard it in Canada with Harbeths and it was a very good match. I tried the Avaunt 80i back in the UK and it was very good but not quite, but the 150i might have been perfect.

Hi Ears,

been running this amp in and i must say its coming on real good. Works wonders with the Spendors. Perreaux amps can be bought in the UK. Audio Emotion sell them. They have all the range IIRC.

Perreaux have done a few shows with Spendor recently.

Pioneer SA 5300
Crimson Elektrik pre/power kit
NAIT 2
NAC 93/NAP 90/3
NAC 93/NAP 90/3/RA PPIII
NAC 93/Avondaled NAP140/RA PPIII
NAC 72/Avondaled NAP140/RA PPIII
NAC 72+NJ cards/Avondaled NAP140/RA PPIII
NAC 72+NJ cards/ZAP 250/RA PPIII
NJ 72+NJ cards/linear ps/ZAP 250 (no intention of changing in the forseeable future?

Naim Nait - Onix OA21a/ Soap 2 - Densen Beat 100 - Audio Innovations Series 500 - Audion Sterling ESTE - Cary Sweet 807 - AudioPrism Debut MK II - Cayin TA 30 - Cayin AT 50 - Naim Nait 2 ( Olive ) - Sonneteer Campion and finally Audiomat Arpege Reference 10. And seriously considering adding a Shindo Lab Apetite in the next 3 months or so. Time will tell............, but in all honesty. I miss the Nait 2 more then anything else - it just was fun to listen too........., period. Regards, Oscar

Goodmans Module 90
Nytech CA252
Exposure X
Exposure 23/18
Music First passive preamp
Monarch Audio SM70 power amp
TEAD The Vibe preamp
Border Patrol 300B power

I still use the Exposure combo upstairs.

Garrard Autochanger integral valve amp- still have the amp part.
Sony Tuner Amp (ST4300 I think)
Hafler DH220 power and DH110 pre
NAD 3020
Nait 2
Naim 52 and 135's
Starfish and NAP140 clones (better than the 52/135)
B4 Buffer and NAP140 clones (better still but need cases)

Also have a Nytech CPA 602 and CT 202 pre-power combination for when I'm working on my main amps or my sons having friends round.

Sansui AU101
JVC SEA***?
Armstrong 626
Naim 62/90
Naim 112/150
Naim 282/250.2
Naim 252/300

Wish I'd kept the Armstrong for a second system. Worked supremely well with Keesonic Kubs.

Pete

Technics
Luxman L112
Audio Refinment Complete Amp
Norh Le Amp
Plinius 8200
Plinius 9100
Audio Analogue Puccini SE
Audiolab 8000C/8000P
Luxman L505u

Rotel 820
Creek 4040
Naim 42.5/110CB
Naim 32.5/HI-CAP/250CB
Naim 202/200
Naim 202/Supercap/250.2
Naim 252/Supercap/250.2
Naim 552/250.2
Rega Osiris
Prima Luna Prologue 2 - Not looked back since

Mira 3
Cursa 3 Maia 3
Moon I3 (lot of 3's)
Odyssey Double Mono with Eastern Minimac pre; Ear 864; Brinkmann pre; TVC
EAR 890 with the same preamps
BAT 300 X integrated
Halcro MC with Pass x2.5
Pass X150 with Pass x2.5 then with Bryston BP26
Leben Cs600 integrated: back to simplicity :)

Marantz PM4000
Arcam P75
XTZ Divine AP-100

Thats it!

I have to chuckle at all of the massive naim lists. It seems in general if your a naim fan then your going to be constantly dissatisfied with naim equipment, chopping and changing and adding more PSUs until you reach the limit of your finances.

Very sad to see such money wasted.

Butuz

Sugden A48II 1976-2000 c/w Heybrook HB2
Sugden A21a 2000 - 2005 c/w Totem Arros
Sugden A21SE 2005 - ? c/w WD20T/25T

Chris is a boring sod

Marantz PM4000
Arcam P75
XTZ Divine AP-100

Thats it!

I have to chuckle at all of the massive naim lists. It seems in general if your a naim fan then your going to be constantly dissatisfied with naim equipment, chopping and changing and adding more PSUs until you reach the limit of your finances.

Butuz

Some thoughts on the prevalence of Naim components in this thread…

PFM, being a UK-based forum, is – quite understandably – dominated by UK-based members and the posts obviously reflect this. In the context of the UK audio market, Naim Audio’s amplifiers have been sold into this market for >35 years and have built up an enviable reputation for a combination of sound quality and after-sales service that has been caused by, and resulted in, reasonably high sales volumes (for this level of gear).

In addition, the UK also boasts a number of after-market Naim tweakers whose activities have helped boost the popularity of the Naim name (sorry – couldn’t resist that one…)

The high sales volumes over a protracted period provides an excellent source for “experienced” audio gear that has a decent pedigree in terms of sound quality, a degree of security based on after-sales service and sheer availability due to the size of the installed base. This availability has also resulted in attractive pricing.

I’m guessing here, but I’d bet that a fair proportion of current Naim users started their Naim journey by way of buying used gear in order to get great sound for a reasonable price. I wouldn’t be surprised if subsequent upgrades were achieved via the same route.

Now, take the rather high UK street prices for imported US and Canadian high-end gear – a situation that raises the stakes on any audio gamble – and any reluctance to spend hard-earned cash on what is perceived to be over-priced gear also becomes understandable. Add to the above a natural desire of British folk to take the patriotic stance and “buy British” and Naim’s prevalence is not a mystery.

As far as how this justifies the passionate beliefs held about the innate superiority of Naim over North American high-end gear is another matter altogether!

:cool:

I can't remember the models but

A Yamaha integrated
A big Technics integrated
Hafler dh101 and DH 200 pre power
Kenwood something ss
Quad 33 and 306
Leben cs300
Leben cs300x
Luxman L505u

I still have the last 3

Some thoughts on the prevalence of Naim components in this thread…

PFM, being a UK-based forum, is – quite understandably – dominated by UK-based members and the posts obviously reflect this. In the context of the UK audio market, Naim Audio’s amplifiers have been sold into this market for >35 years and have built up an enviable reputation for a combination of sound quality and after-sales service that has been caused by, and resulted in, reasonably high sales volumes (for this level of gear).

In addition, the UK also boasts a number of after-market Naim tweakers whose activities have helped boost the popularity of the Naim name (sorry – couldn’t resist that one…)

The high sales volumes over a protracted period provides an excellent source for “experienced” audio gear that has a decent pedigree in terms of sound quality, a degree of security based on after-sales service and sheer availability due to the size of the installed base. This availability has also resulted in attractive pricing.

I’m guessing here, but I’d bet that a fair proportion of current Naim users started their Naim journey by way of buying used gear in order to get great sound for a reasonable price. I wouldn’t be surprised if subsequent upgrades were achieved via the same route.

Now, take the rather high UK street prices for imported US and Canadian high-end gear – a situation that raises the stakes on any audio gamble – and any reluctance to spend hard-earned cash on what is perceived to be over-priced gear also becomes understandable. Add to the above a natural desire of British folk to take the patriotic stance and “buy British” and Naim’s prevalence is not a mystery.

As far as how this justifies the passionate beliefs held about the innate superiority of Naim over North American high-end gear is another matter altogether!

:cool:

Spot on. Sums the Naim thing very nicely. The strong second hand market for Naim gear still allows many access to high-end audio. I've never been able to fathom out the anti-Naim (and Linn) attitudes that pervade PFM.If you don't like Naim, don't buy it......simples.

Pete

Marantz PM4000
Arcam P75
XTZ Divine AP-100

Thats it!

Butuz
Thats how I see it also

advertisement

Back