advertisement

Yamaha NS1000M

All good feedback - cheers! That was the point of the mockups and to get them off the floor, of course. I might mock up some 6 inchers before I commit to cutting proper wood. I just don't want them to tower over the couch. Rug Doc, the idea of a rear lip had occurred to me - I think it's a good idea.

YNWOAN - thanks. The floor is polished concrete.

Dan if you're going to have them that low I'd get the umik to measure the effect, you will get pronounced bass lift.

Dan if you're going to have them that low I'd get the umik to measure the effect, you will get pronounced bass lift.

Yes, UMIK-1 ordered. Since they are out 5.5' from the back wall, I'm not getting any boom - they don't seem bass heavy. Option b) is to raise them up and stick them back against the wall. This would mean firing around the couch - near the side walls they'd still have a direct line to the listening position. Certainly a less dominating appearance that way.

Look like an interesting variant, though the bass driver surrounds look pretty knackered.

Look like an interesting variant, though the bass driver surrounds look pretty knackered.
The surround needs work, but can be repaired. I've been using the same speaker for ten years. And it is an excellent design.

Audio Union (across the street from Jazz Union) was packed full of great gear when I checked it out last month. That Yamaha has the carbon woofer, but no lpads - not a standard X variant, right?

They changed to a foam surround for the X and inevitably that has a very finite lifespan.

------

The X does have L-Pads but they are much smaller and in the top corners.

Thanks. I might wait until I've decided (or not) to take on Troel's modification or simply rebuild the crossover with film caps. I'm also in two minds whether to refinish my pair. They have patina that is consistent with their age, and there are no glaring cosmetic defects as such.

Thanks, Dan, but no thanks.

Like the original Model-T, there is only one correct colour for NS-1000Ms.

I might make some accommodation for the degree of shine or matt.

advertisement

Back