advertisement

Yamaha NS-1000M Refurbishment

how have the diffraction rings worked out performance wise,..

Very pleased with them - they add a bit of focus (made some prototypes first of course).

do you have a tilt on them as Troels suggested to time align the mid/tweeter.
Geoff

Does Troels recommend that? But yes, the stand speaker interface is constructed to give a 2.25 degree tilt, which I feel to be optimal. There is a Delrin spacer between speaker and stand; this has a 12mm hole in it, as do the top of the stand uprights. A 12.7mm stainless steel ball rests in this hole and acts as a self aligning ball joint between stand and speaker.

Yea Troels measured a 10mm or so acoustic offset at crossover which mildly affects phase he suggested tilting to correct, up to 5 degrees I think depending on seating position.

Yes, I have considered 5 degrees and with my current setup this is achievable. However, I would say that, in my experience, 2 to 3 degrees is far more preferable.

I have just updated my thread with a bunch of pictures detailing the final assembly.

There are still a couple of things to do, I will be neatening up the inside of the crossovers once I am sure that I don't want to change any component values.

I'm also doing some granite isolation bases for the crossovers (30mm thick Nero granite already ordered).

Thanks - I've just been listening to a friends experimental phonostage through them and they do sound quite remarkable.

The inductors have a plastic peg through the centre of them that is then melted over and they are also glued in place. I used wire snips to cut the plastic peg and a screwdriver to break the [;plastic away surrounding them. however, I did end up replacing all the inductors with same value Jantzen ones - two ferrite cored and two air cored.

I ended up using a combination of ClarityCap ESA and Mundorf Mcap Supreme capacitors.

My preference is for thick, copper, multi-strand cable so that is what I used. Although only two umbilical cables connect the speakers to the crossover they are actually tri-wired. Each cable has four cores - the bass cable has pairs of these cores joined at each end to create a two core cable. I used a professional OFC cable -but nothing fancy.

advertisement

Back