advertisement

X100 vs X100s

This is the one I bought.

8915574479_71a66c1d3b_z.jpg

Case looks great Julian.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks guys, it is indeed a very good case too! And £450 is a good price for the camera from Park. A good dealer too IME.

Alan, the X100 does not have a mode as you desire. It does have a DR function which I have not tried but does not what you want, you would have to take several exposures and blend them in your processing regime..., sorry

Julian

Alan, the X100 does not have a mode as you desire. It does have a DR function which I have not tried but does not what you want, you would have to take several exposures and blend them in your processing regime..., sorry

Julian

Not too worried - experience with other cameras has been you really need it to be supported/on a tripod to use multi-exposure HDR and that's rarely the case for me.

Just seen the price for the X100S refurb'd from the Fuji shop - ouch! £100 cheaper brand new at the airport departures lounge!

Hi gents

Still feeling the love for the X100 here. The only annoyance I am having is the RAW write time. I am using old Sandisk Ultra2 cards and have one Extreme3 card. The Extreme3 writes quite a bit quicker but how much quicker still would it write with a new Extreme or even the Extreme Pro?

Thanks

Julian, the X100 is a really nice picture taking machine, just a shame they had to make the user interface so complicated. What they need is a totally stripped down version, like an M9, and i'd pop one in the side pocket of my Domke.

Hmmm the x100 has the most analogue controls short of a m8/9.
Once you have set your preferences you can ignore them.
I like that flexibility. I'm sure it won't take long for you to be proficient with it.

I use a 16MB Sandisk extreme pro in mine, well worth the extra in terms of speed and reliability.

Mmm i think it the most fiddly little thing i have ever encountered..... An M8/M9 it is far from and no amount of getting used to would do it for me. Anything more than 'manual' is already too much. I guess we all have our preferences, and all work differently, so if it's good for you then great.

Hi

Thanks for the info guys. I ordered an Extreme Pro. Lets see what thats like. Hope it is not a fake!

Regarding the Leica M series, I struggle with them. I first wanted one back in the late 80's. When I got together enough money for one in the early 90's I went to a dealer or two for a play of an M6. Couldn't get on with it at all but ended up leaving with an R7 which I love to bits, even now. And I still use it occasionally too! I have re-evaluated M series cameras several times since and still can't bring myself to buy one.

The Fuji is a bit quirky but once set up as you like it, its fine IMO. Ok, so the IQ is not Leica like but its damn good in its own way!

I'll report back on card performance when it arrives.

Cheers, J

Julian, i am no Leica fanboy, well certainly not with digital..... IMO the X100 is as good in terms of picture quality as an M8/M9, just that for me the interface is slow and overly complex. I much prefer the simplicity of an M8/M9 interface, few buttons, logically placed and much nicer form. In terms of the image however, hardly anything in it.

The M9 sensor is quite a bit better than the one on the X100 in terms of resolution and colour rendition (in my opinion). The one in the X100S is quite a bit better than the X100. I think I would rather shoot something like a wedding reception with a Nikon D800 or better still the D4, rather than either the X100 or the M9 as you need a high percentage of in focus shots and the 100 isn't the snappiest of focussing machines. With the right lens, the M9 wouldn't be bad so long as the subjects weren't moving around too much and the light was adequate.

The M9 sensor is quite a bit better than the one on the X100 in terms of resolution and colour rendition (in my opinion). The one in the X100S is quite a bit better than the X100. I think I would rather shoot something like a wedding reception with a Nikon D800 or better still the D4, rather than either the X100 or the M9 as you need a high percentage of in focus shots and the 100 isn't the snappiest of focussing machines. With the right lens, the M9 wouldn't be bad so long as the subjects weren't moving around too much and the light was adequate.

Would a pro even consider using a rangefinder? Wouldn't the bride & groom expect to see the pro with a camera of a certain size (SLR & flash) 'We paid how much for a pro and he turns up with that little camera!' ;)

Mr RK

Not always, the best wedding pics i have seen were a friend of the B and G just walking about with a M6. The prints were very cool and basic looking somehow, but very different

Focus accuracy and speed have been improved on the X100s, so I can't see why it couldn't be used at a wedding. It works well in low light, too, so it's a good choice for available-light candids.

It seems to me the biggest limitation would be its focal length -- is a 35mm equivalent lens the best choice?

Joe

Well, this thread has digressed hasn't it. So long as its keeping it alive.

I think the IQ of the X100 is stunning, the Leica M8/M9 better? Not sure if better, comes down to preference just like hifi I guess ;) I love the Leica IQ but would not buy a camera I don't like using [Leica M series]. I guess in time I will re-evaluate, yet again, maybe the M240? Who knows. What I do know is I am comfortable lugging my £450 X100 up the side of a mountain and climbing via Ferrata with it round my neck. Would I be with an M, not so sure!

Each to their own.

J

I am sure that the X100s would produce good candid wedding images but I am glad that I wasn't using a fixed lens rangefinder at the one I did last Saturday. Simply impractical as it was a big venue and would have involved a lot more moving around or more cropping.

Fortunately, I wasn't hired to do the job but just took extra candid shots (with a 1DX and zoom) at the request of the b & g as a family favour. Done two weddings before and that was two too many. Not my idea of fun.

The pro used two zooms and one prime which was only used for the a couple of "everyone" shots.

advertisement

Back