advertisement

X100 vs X100s

Hi

Fuji had an X100 in the refurb store until a few moments ago.., just bought it. The discount code still works too :). Thanks for mentioning it.

I decided I didn't want to spend as much as the "s". After having a play with one vs. the Leica X2, I preferred the X2 [with optical finder] but the £££ was creeping up and up! So, for once I resisted!

I can't wait for the X100 to arrive. I know the IQ and operating usability will be far more to my preference than my GF1 was.

Cheers for all the links and advice. Much appreciated.

As a result of my inspiration from ordering the Fuji, I have decided to dust off one of my old film cameras this weekend, just for fun! :D

Julian

Not quite on topic but I've just bought a refurbed black x20 from fuji, using the paypal 12 trick.

I've not had long with it but first impressions are its a beauty albeit presenting a pretty steep learning curve after years of a basic point and shoot. I'm just coming to terms with my purchase as I let go of the other contenders (sony rx100, olympus xz2, panasonic lx7) each of which presented a compelling case.

Anyone else got an x20 and has any tips on best modes and setup?

Anyone else got an x20 and has any tips on best modes and setup?

I picked up an x10 earlier in the year via the same route. From what I've read, despite some improved spec, the underlying principles remain similar.

I've set mine up using the advice here

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9060476058/fuji-x10-exr-camera-suggestions-for-optimum-performance

I have C1 set up this way and C2 using b&w with a red filter. I was then using in camera RAW conversion but have recently downloaded Aperture which now has a convertor for the x10/x20.

The rest of the time I use the same basic c1 settings for ISO etc with aperture priority on the Velvia jpeg. All 3 give good results.

Let us know what works for you. I love using the x10.

Kevin

Roman,
I have just purchased an x20 and am also working through the manual, twiddling knobs pressing buttons and peering at the results but now not having the colour perception or indeed the gift of perfect vision some of the images are rather hard to tell apart. From reading, browsing and playing with my new kit I came across http://www.fujixseries.com/discussion/2192/what-modesettings-do-you-use/p1, hope it helps. I find that the meta data attached to an image sure helps with remembering what I have done and what happens as a result of my experimentation.

A few words from the x10/x20/x100s Zen Masters would be much appreciated.

Excellent stuff guys, thats my holiday reading sorted.

What bibs and bobs have you got for your x20s'?

I dont want to get too encumbered with stuff as it defeats the point of the camera but I bought a uv filter to protect the lens mainly. However the slip on lens cap doesnt seat as well with this on and falls off a little easily.

I dont yet have a wrist strap but am looking into a 3rd party thumb rest. I think that will be my lot.

Btw I cant find anything on image stabilization in instructions, any pointers?

Once again apologies to x100 users, perhaps this should be split off into seperate thread.

I got the Fuji leather case for the x10 - it makes a lovely camera feel even better and fits in with the whole retro feel of the design.

Agree on batteries and a filter to protect the lens.

Kevin

Hi

I have been playing with my X100 and I have to say I am bowled over by it. I can't wait to get out there and use it for the first time properly next weekend. :)

I purchased a looky likey Fuji style case and hood on eBay. The pair cost me £15.57 delivered from HK. Both are superb quality and will suit me just fine. So, very happy all round.

The only fly in the ointment so far is the triangular split rings supplied by Fuji which are too small to use without damaging the loops fitted to the camera so I have replaced them with some that I had knocking around in an old camera bag.

Cheers, Julian

Regarding camera straps, my second hand x100 came with a "Footprint" brand strap ....£15 from eBay and really suits the overall retro feel of the camera and Fuji case.

This is the one I bought.

8915574479_71a66c1d3b_z.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Actually Cliff, it isn't, although it looks very good, and in fact it is very good. It is not leather and does not have the card and battery flap in the bottom. I am definitely not complaining though! :D

It does not fit over the hood, no [and I doubt the real case does either]. Being that the hood cost me a fiver and bayonets on and off quickly, I am happy to remove it and pop it in my pocket!

Cheers, Julian

Those Footprint straps look like my Gordy's hand strap, which is what I'm using at the moment.

That's a lot of case for next to no money - I've been looking at the Gariz half cases, which look quite nice, especially in the bordeaux colour. Christ, I sound like I'm turning into a camera pimp!

Getting quite used to the X100 now... I love the ..

colour balance [std film mode only!]
lens/image quality
parallax correction of frame lines in the OVF
customisation opportunities, particularly in the OVF

some frustrations too but hoping the above will win over! LOL.

Julian

Am I right in thinking that the X100 doesn't have a multi-exposure HDR mode? Or can I just not find it?

I've never found the need to try any HDR - it does a wonderful job as is. I had thought of jumping to a X100s but there are a few other things that I actually need. Most things I photograph are outside and don't move so the AF isn't much of an issue.

advertisement

Back