advertisement

Wow, damning Klipsch review!

Well it would appear that Danny has now ventured into sacred Tannoy territory.... Where's the popcorn emoji when you need one???!!! :)

Skip to 6:09 for discussion on the DMT 10:

In all serious I would be very curious to hear these before and after mods to see whether flattening the response and reducing ringing has any negative effects on phasing /time-alignment, - these plots have conveniently been omitted from his analysis.

Klipsch with the orange drivers are probably among the worst ever loudspeakers I've heard
I visited a dealer a few weeks back (just as we were allowed to again) to pick up my new (to me) LP12, he had the “orange driver” range in stock, he jested that they were more useful as a means of selling more expensive speakers than speakers to actually listen to... or maybe he wasn’t joking?:D

I am seriously tempted to demo a pair of Klipsch Fortes with a Luxman sq n 150 amp. Hold me back!

So, random YouTube bloke knows more than both Klipsch and Tannoy now! Bet he thinks he knows more than Quad and the BBC too!
There are more than a handful of “YouTube audio experts” out there that collectively have less knowledge than many on this forum.

I find VWestlife particularly amusing, the guy claims to bust numerous “audiophile myths” and generally has a real disdain for anyone who likes anything beyond the future landfill that he loves so dearly... the guy hasn’t a clue... then there’s the “all turntables sound the same, only cartridges make a difference brigade”.:rolleyes:

I sort of understand the idea that you can actually build a better speaker though careful and probably expensive component choice. But Building any speaker will always have some compromise, cabinet or drivers and crossover components if they are used.

What I still don’t quite understand is that people buy speakers and then send them to a company to modify them for an apparent better measured response? Who buys a speaker that they realised they didn’t like and thinks that spending more money to fix the sound that they didn’t like makes sense? The reason the speaker manufacturer made the speaker sound as it would is down to cost? If the law of diminishing returns has no effect then just buy a better product in the first place, or better still buy from a dealer or manufacturer who offers returns when the speaker doesn’t sound good in the room?

I have no direct experience of GR Research, but having watched many of his videos I’d say he’s not a typical YouTube warrior but actually does know what he’s doing.

in addition addition to x-over upgrade kits they also sell a range of DIY and assembled speakers ranging from smallish ported boxes through open baffle and some big line array designs.

Mark D.

He is in the business of selling his X-over kits.

It's as much a review channel as Mr Ballen.

Danny's spending a few hours on each speaker to re-engineer them, I wonder how long the original designers took? He's got a particular formula that he sticks to. I wonder if he even listens to them?

What I still don’t quite understand is that people buy speakers and then send them to a company to modify them for an apparent better measured response? Who buys a speaker that they realised they didn’t like and thinks that spending more money to fix the sound that they didn’t like makes sense? The reason the speaker manufacturer made the speaker sound as it would is down to cost? If the law of diminishing returns has no effect then just buy a better product in the first place, or better still buy from a dealer or manufacturer who offers returns when the speaker doesn’t sound good in the room?

Perhaps they liked the speakers when they bought them, but over time became frustrated with their shortcomings?

You can see what he's done, he's gone from 1st to 2nd order and lowered the crossover freq .The xover freq was chosen by Tannoy, due the fact these are studio monitors and 1" HF driver power handling is a major consideration, as is measured distortion.
When you run the HF diaphragm this small(1") this low keep a stock of spare diaphragms.
Equalising the on axis response is one thing but what has happened off axis and how has he changed the power response? Oh, and he also needs to change the ferrofluid.

Last edited:
Agreed, but spending more money on a design that doesn’t work to individual taste after a period of time suggests that an individual didn’t properly choose in the first place (to their taste or room).

I’m not saying that any speaker can’t be improved through better component quality but all things that are manufactured are done so with the priority being end user cost, so if I purchase a pair of speakers at a certain price point I must understand that they were made with the total cost of tooling, manufacture, marketing and in some cases dealer/distribution and shipping cost built in.

If my speaker cost £150 or £1500 etc part of the cost and quality is development of the speaker. These videos although informative don’t show the bigger picture. What room, amplification or what source? Yes the chap in the videos can fix a speaker to measure relatively flat, but why? It’s clear that even though specs are important they can at best only be a guide in laboratory conditions? Many people apparently have purchased and love speakers which are in terms of spec, flawed. But they sound good.

Agreed, but spending more money on a design that doesn’t work to individual taste after a period of time suggests that an individual didn’t properly choose in the first place (to their taste or room).

Perhaps the owner likes most of what the speaker does and just wants to refine a few niggles?

Perhaps they're just curious, or have been broken down by peer pressure or Youtube addiction? Isn't it a bit priggish to blithely declare that they didn't choose properly, as if the perfect speaker for the owner is just a transaction away?

Many people apparently have purchased and love speakers which are in terms of spec, flawed. But they sound good.

“Sound good” is a subjective call, “sounds good to someone”.

The guy in the video tries to make the speakers more accurate at transducing the signal/recording but that increase in fidelity may not “sound good” to those who like the “flaws”.

Most of these discussions end up with the two sides misunderstanding each other.

Yes but how does a speaker owner know if the niggles are the speaker or the recording they are listening to? A lot of recorded music was made far from perfect and yet people obsess. I’m sure there are some people who would be happy listening to test tones as it’s all about the gear.

Sounds good IS a subjective statement, I should have said sounds good to most people who own a Hifi and listen to speakers. Every pair of speakers ever made was never made with our rooms or environment in mind. It was designed to work in an ideal environment and probably voiced to generally sound pleasing in the average room. No room is average, and factor in different music formats and nothing is quite accurate when it comes to recorded music.

I understand the idea of a faithful representation of the original recording, but that in of itself is kind of moot. Not every musician is an audiophile and so it’s often, to me: more about the enjoyment of the music. If I listened to ultra hi res audio recorded in hi res, I probably won’t have much to actually listen to? I was only suggesting that it seems crazy to purchase a speaker, then have it fixed to make it measure good. Meanwhile the rest of the world finds enjoyment from their Hifi and music. Seems there are some apparent individuals shushing the cat as they critically listen to their Hifi finding flaws in the speaker that they paid money for?

Strangely very few audiophile like graphic equalisers, which is what a lot of these tweaks are really.

Dropping crossover frequency is a high risk trick with Tannoys as the compression drivers do seem to be a bit fragile in the stock design

advertisement

Back