advertisement

Wow, damning Klipsch review!

I don't think I'd be brave enough to send off my brand new Magnepans to be stripped down:

I don't know if Danny did his research on this one as he neglects to mention the fact these satellites are part of a "Mini Maggie System" and come with a 'subwoofer' panel to cover the bass duties.

The measurements are interesting though, the FR of the ribbon tweeter reminds me of a pair of Goodmans Achromat Betas I once owned whose tweeters had evidently gone wonky with age.

It may seem like I'm beating a dead horse here but GR's most recent Klipsch upgrade videos explain very well why it's a bad idea to have two woofers playing the same frequency range when their acoustic centres are far away from the tweeter and the crossover point is high. My JR150's exhibit this issue to some degree but nowhere near as bad as the Klipshes appear to! Apparently Klipsch have been watching Danny's videos and are addressing these issues in their newest models, so Danny's upgrade market may start shrinking...

I’ve certainly felt multiple bass units seldom work. I think the only speaker that has them that I like is the Gale 401 (a three-way with two 8” bass units, though they sit on the stands horizontally so I guess any difference in floor-bounce is minimised). They have become a visual cue that I’m unlikely to like a loudspeaker, you can call that a bias/preconception, but I’m very seldom wrong!

Mmm, 10k suck out on a speaker for film ain't anything. He really needs to show the distance for the measurements, 1m or 5m makes a huge difference. The 2.5 way is an improvement for sure though.

Without distortion measurements talking about parts swapping is pointless.

Mmm, 10k suck out on a speaker for film ain't anything. He really needs to show the distance for the measurements, 1m or 5m makes a huge difference. The 2.5 way is an improvement for sure though.

Without distortion measurements talking about parts swapping is pointless.
In the first video he said he took measurements at the standard 1m and also at 54 inches given the larger size of the speaker. What would be the advantage of measuring at 5m? A speaker that needs a 5m listening distance to integrate properly isn't going to be of much use unless listeners have a long enough room to sit 5 metres away from it.

Many classic Klipsch horns were designed for huge spaces, e.g. IIRC the Heresy was initially designed to fill the ‘hole’ in the middle of the soundstage between two Klipschorns in vast US living rooms. The time/phase error on these huge Klipsch is horrendous, but they get away with it as the mid horn covers the range (400Hz-6kHz) that we are most critical of, and they are designed to be listened to at some distance. It is one reason I far preferred my Tannoys to the La Scalas. The latter are hugely impressive in many ways, but they needed more space than I could find. The Tannoys being a (largely) time-aligned point-source sound great pretty close-up.

I recently heard Klipsch Forte iv speakers in a friends house
Not only was I impressed, but so was my hi-fi hating wife
I am currently wondering how I can sell up and change to these speakers, with her agreement and approval!

they really are very good (IMHO)

Part of the flat line brigade which chants the mantra that a 'speaker is only worthy if ruler flat.

There is so, so much more to good sound!

Flat line mania is the grossest form of sighted bias I've seen in decades. It has overwhelmed undiscriminating factions of rookies who must think that since their hero has a microphone all speaker makers (for starters) must be some combination of incompetent or crooked. In this case the guy hasn't the first idea what went into the original design and therefore is simply inventing problems in order to sell cures.

There is vastly more to sound. Crap video reviewers are a threat to good sound.

So, random YouTube bloke knows more than both Klipsch and Tannoy now! Bet he knows more than Quad and the BBC too!
There are cases where at great cost he's reversed deliberate designs in honor of his microphone-only approach and thus worsened time error, increased phase rotation, increased acoustical energy storage, and generally ruined the original sound. But when you have something to peddle and a simplified visual graphics to peddle it with, you can offend dozens of brands, impair sound quality, and still sell expensive "upgrades".

I had a set of the R-14M. They sounded horrible downstairs where the Royds work. Upstairs in a smaller room they were amazing at low volumes. They kept their dynamics.

Remember that’s a very large American speaker and a UK price! It would cost a substantial amount just to ship it. It is definitely a budget party speaker, kind of Cerwin Vega market to my mind. The Klipsch Heritage range, of which the Heresy is a part, isn’t this at all (they are about £3.5k in the UK).

Some of the newer CV speakers aren't that bad. They need a very large room though.

advertisement

Back