advertisement

Wow, damning Klipsch review!

If he is also increasing the slope on the high-pass he may actually be improving the power handling/excursion/distortion.
Not that likely, the 3 dB point is lower and the maximum excursion and power dissipation will be close to that

With the cookie cutter sort of approach Danny uses, he's not going to satisfy everyone.

But I wouldn't doubt that a lot of the ones he tackles are net improvements.

Rather than start a new thread for this video I thought I'd tag it on here, but if Tony wishes to move it to a new thread or indeed delete it before it starts another cable war then feel free! :D

I think this is a pretty neat and simple demonstration in lay terms of the propensity of different cable designs to pick up RF. Whether it makes an audible difference in practice is of course another matter. For the TL;DR summary watch from 12:35 onwards:

These youTube 'reviews' can often be misleading. I own Klipsch Heresy IIIs and, believe it or not, they sound quite good in my room - natural, not squeaking, not harsh, with fast attacks and a more than decent imaging and soundstage. If one just watches this video he will never buy Heresys; if one listened to them blindfold, he probably would not think they are Klipsches. In the 60s Acoustic Research voiced their loudspeakers in anechoic cambers, to have the flattest frequency response. Then you bought a pair, placed them in a normal living room and mid and treble disappeared, bass was predominant and placing them was an ordeal.
I gave Klipsch a try, am happy, may the picky reviewer and his graphs Rest In Peace.

Rather than start a new thread for this video I thought I'd tag it on here, but if Tony wishes to move it to a new thread or indeed delete it before it starts another cable war then feel free! :D

I think this is a pretty neat and simple demonstration in lay terms of the propensity of different cable designs to pick up RF. Whether it makes an audible difference in practice is of course another matter. For the TL;DR summary watch from 12:35 onwards:

This rebuttal to that video might answer your questions :)

This rebuttal to that video might answer your questions :)

I did wonder why Danny's focus was on speaker cables and not something like the RCAs connecting a turntable to a phono stage, where the SNR is obviously much more critical.

These youTube 'reviews' can often be misleading. I own Klipsch Heresy IIIs and, believe it or not, they sound quite good in my room - natural, not squeaking, not harsh, with fast attacks and a more than decent imaging and soundstage. If one just watches this video he will never buy Heresys; if one listened to them blindfold, he probably would not think they are Klipsches. In the 60s Acoustic Research voiced their loudspeakers in anechoic cambers, to have the flattest frequency response. Then you bought a pair, placed them in a normal living room and mid and treble disappeared, bass was predominant and placing them was an ordeal.
I gave Klipsch a try, am happy, may the picky reviewer and his graphs Rest In Peace.

Or maybe you just “prefer” the “presentation” of the Klipsches which makes them “good” for you.

Did I say anywhere in my post that the Heresy are absolutely better than anything else? Maybe you just wanted to say the contrary to someone and it happened to be me.

I could have written a long post about why flat anechoic is more accurate (with monopoles and dipoles, but not omnis)

On railway PA systems we do worry about RF on speaker cables. Cables are balanced "100V" and put in metal trunking. Distances are 100s of metres and the EMI environment near electric track is horrible.
Definitely not a HiFi problem.

Downward tilt?

yes, sorry

I think that it’s to compensate for the omnidirectional dispersion across the whole audible range which will reflect of the room boundaries.
Monopoles beam increasingly (but not always constantly) from lows to highs

advertisement

Back