advertisement

Would you pay full price for a discontinued item?

It depends on the item, some manufactures state the retail price and don’t allow dealers to discount so if what you want to buy falls into that category you have no choice.

Here in the Netherlands it’s almost unheard of to haggle in shops but you can get dealers to throw something extra in. When I bought an expensive camera I also got extra memory and carry case instead of discount. It never hurts to ask.

I can't think of anything I'd ever want badly enough to pay an inflated price.

Haggle is such an ugly word. I prefer to think of it as a mutually beneficial discussion. ;) Price fixing manufacturers should be avoided.

R.R.P. is recommended retail price. Recommended by whom? Retailers? I think not. It's purely a guide to facilitate comparisons.

R.R.P. is recommended retail price. Recommended by whom? Retailers? I think not. It's purely a guide to facilitate comparisons.

RRP is a way to pitch a product at a point in the market. The manufacturer is saying that their product performs as well as others at that price point. Products that are heavily discounted from RRP are clearly not selling at that point and are being shifted down the price scale until they reach a level where they can compete. RRP is a key design target during product development, and why manufacturers try to keep designs under wraps until the release date.

I'd only consider paying full price if I knew that it would continue to be serviced - but you've been told for sure that it won't. So don't...

advertisement

Back