advertisement

Would you pay full price for a discontinued item?

zekezebra

pfm Member
As per title, I recently sold my Marantz Pearl as I wanted to physically downsize my system. However I would like a C.D. transport (half size) and really fancied a Bel Canto CD2.

On their website they state: “We regret to announce the CD2 is no longer in production due to the discontinuation of the Philips CD-Pro2M drive. Please contact your dealer for stock or Bel Canto for more information

I contacted a few dealers both here in the Netherlands, Germany and the U.K. In all cases I was quoted the full retail price even though most dealers only had one left in stock. I would expect this, of course, as an opening gambit but when I asked if there was any discount, as the player was discontinued, I either got no reply or was re-quoted the full price.

Although I would still like a CD2 I’m not comfortable paying the full price when a player is discontinued. Am I being unreasonable here? Expect a few one word “yes” answers but would like to see how other folk see this.

Thanks.

Makes sense to keep the price the same, because if it's discontinued, then someone's going to snap it up at full price eventually... it depends on whether there's a unit or two lying around or an entire warehouse to clear, and what you're looking at is the former.

Sometimes (often) prices go up when something is discontinued.

Have they confirmed that? ... if they can't provide service, you may want to reconsider, regardless of the price you pay.

why would you want to buy a discontinued product just wait for the replacement and audition that, a mk 2 should sound better, and please don't buy it for the size, buy it for the sound

I would expect a discount as there could be transport issues later also most items that are to be discontinued do tend to fetch less in all markets .

Discontinued product would normally be shifted as soon as possible, even at a loss.
That the drive has been discontinued, especially, as it is known that parts availability is compromised, makes it even more important get rid of remaining stock as quickly as possible.
With nothing to support its price its value will have tumbled.

Not for a CD player with a discontinued mech. If the mechanism fails (and one day it will) then your machine is borked. Get one with a replaceable mech, or if you want dsicontinud items then take a punt on a secondhand unit. At least if that falls over it owes you very little.

Discontinued product would normally be shifted as soon as possible, even at a loss....

Should be - for example, Cyrus are currently selling off their stocks of the discontinued StreamLine2 for pretty much half price.

Bit of a blow though to anyone who paid full price last month !

Although I would still like a CD2 I’m not comfortable paying the full price when a player is discontinued. Am I being unreasonable here? Expect a few one word “yes” answers but would like to see how other folk see this.

Thanks.

Not for a CD player with a discontinued mech. If the mechanism fails (and one day it will) then your machine is borked. Get one with a replaceable mech, or if you want dsicontinud items then take a punt on a secondhand unit. At least if that falls over it owes you very little.

You should expect a small reduction in price but nothing significant. The Bel Canto CD2 is a very desirable product ;)

In terms of support: The CD2 CDM Pro2 drive may not be available in due course but more important items like the lasers are readily available.

Best regards,
Peter

advertisement

Back