advertisement

Would you pay full price for a discontinued item?

Nah if the same price wait for the new version. other wise I expect a hefty discount like I got for the Audioab 8200CDQ ( £599 v £1000 I think?) & I waiting on my dealer to obtain a spare cd mechanism against the day that it wears about. Thats the way to go about it? reduced price AND a spare mechanism ( if they refuse to sell u one laugh in their face and cross them off your xmas list)

In my short time working in retail, and having grown up in it, discontinued items were always discounted, often significantly.

The only reason this might not happen is if the item in question is in high demand and has some kid of mystique or legacy value that increases with time and the retailer knows this, right from the time of discontinuation. I can hardly think of any products that ever did that....perhaps an NAD 3020 (like why would you drop the price after it sold over a million units for 10 years? They weren't even replacing it).....something like that.

Otherwise when a product is being discontinued, it's usually because it's getting replaced by something better and hence the older version has been discounted at wholesale, and should be discounted at retail as well.

If you really want it and the retailer won't drop the price, it falls into the simple laws of supply and demand. There ain't much you can do.

In my short time working in retail, and having grown up in it, discontinued items were always discounted, often significantly.

The only reason this might not happen is if the item in question is in high demand and has some kid of mystique or legacy value that increases with time and the retailer knows this, right from the time of discontinuation. I can hardly think of any products that ever did that....perhaps an NAD 3020 (like why would you drop the price after it sold over a million units for 10 years? They weren't even replacing it).....something like that.

Otherwise when a product is being discontinued, it's usually because it's getting replaced by something better and hence the older version has been discounted at wholesale, and should be discounted at retail as well.

If you really want it and the retailer won't drop the price, it falls into the simple laws of supply and demand. There ain't much you can do.

yes you can . walk away and find an alternative. NO piece of hifi gear is that good!

Nah if the same price wait for the new version. other wise I expect a hefty discount like I got for the Audioab 8200CDQ ( £599 v £1000 I think?) & I waiting on my dealer to obtain a spare cd mechanism against the day that it wears about. Thats the way to go about it? reduced price AND a spare mechanism ( if they refuse to sell u one laugh in their face and cross them off your xmas list)

The CD2 is not being replaced, so no clearance discount is offered to the distributor or dealer in which to pass to the consumer.

We shipped one to the U.S. a few months ago at full price but included a U.S. power supply FOC. It's a product like the Stello CDT100 that became very desirable as a high-end CD player/transport, and I personally would not have any issues buying such a well-made component because it'll last.

Peter

Although I would still like a CD2 I’m not comfortable paying the full price when a player is discontinued. Am I being unreasonable here? Expect a few one word “yes” answers but would like to see how other folk see this.
If a reasonable demand still exists for the product why would a retailer want to reduce their margins? The fact you still want to buy this product even though you know the innards are no longer going being manufactured rather suggests they might be right.

The CD2 is not being replaced, so no clearance discount is offered to the distributor or dealer in which to pass to the consumer.

We shipped one to the U.S. a few months ago at full price but included a U.S. power supply FOC. It's a product like the Stello CDT100 that became very desirable as a high-end CD player/transport, and I personally would not have any issues buying such a well-made component because it'll last.

Peter

if it is not being replaced then it can not be that good? Unless its a cynical attempt to milk the gullible, wait until they are all sold at an exorbitant price THEN introduce its successor? market manipulation. it will last , 5 years, 10 years, 15 years? I keep my gear that long or longer.

if it is not being replaced then it can not be that good? Unless its a cynical attempt to milk the gullible, wait until they are all sold at an exorbitant price THEN introduce its successor? market manipulation. it will last , 5 years, 10 years, 15 years? I keep my gear that long or longer.

The current model moving forward is to use their CD3t, RefStream and a DAC1.7, 2.7 or 3.7. You'll notice they've even dropped their pre-amplifier, which I do hope will return.

Regards,
Peter

Generally there's a good reason for heavy discounting.

Bit dubious of the Cyrus drive as they seem to have a problem with loading or playing less than pristine discs

There was certainly a problem a few years ago with the 8SE, but this was upgraded to SE2 spec and the problems effectively vanished. I got mine upgraded at the time and I think I have maybe had to reload a CD about twice since then, and it has never refused to play one after reloading. They've just announced a warranty upgrade to 5 years for all Signature units bought new and 3 years on all other new units.

Just wanted to say that this had a happy ending :). Got a good deal on a brand new CD2 and LNS1 power supply with what I would say is a reasonable discount.

At this stage I wont mention the dealers name as he may not like that but will say the service offered was first class, shipped for the UK to the Netherlands at no extra cost.

Just wanted to say that this had a happy ending :). Got a good deal on a brand new CD2 and LNS1 power supply with what I would say is a reasonable discount.

At this stage I wont mention the dealers name as he may not like that but will say the service offered was first class, shipped for the UK to the Netherlands at no extra cost.

That's great! I was about to reply by saying no, I wouldn't pay full retail and to ask for a discount would be reasonable.

Result, sometimes the replacement is more expensive to manufacture, hence the previous model can remain at the same price.

Happiness is all that matters.

In the 1980's I bought 4 Fane 50WRMS speakers.
They were £28 each.
I recently saw an ad on ebay where someone was selling the same speakers for about £350.

My rule is this.

A discontinued item from a top brand poses no risk, as you should be getting a lifetime of support. The new models are often just a new production batch with a couple of minor tweaks. There are relatively few groundbreaking new discoveries, so the old one will offer 90-95% of the new performance and so that is about the price that I would expect to pay.

A mainstream middle sector brand, shifting lots of units, will be in a similar position, performance wise. However, long term support might be more complicated and I would look for a larger discount just because they cannot sell old models for long after the new one is out. Cunningly, dealers are often out of stock in the run up to a new model launch to avoid holding overstock of old items.

Speakers are an exception. Who cares, old or new. Provided the drive units are the same then it is mostly marketing cunning to make the new one seem better.

It depends on the item, some manufactures state the retail price and don’t allow dealers to discount so if what you want to buy falls into that category you have no choice.

Here in the Netherlands it’s almost unheard of to haggle in shops but you can get dealers to throw something extra in. When I bought an expensive camera I also got extra memory and carry case instead of discount. It never hurts to ask.

It depends on the item, some manufactures state the retail price and don’t allow dealers to discount so if what you want to buy falls into that category you have no choice.

This has been the case with some manufacturers with a solid historical and dealer base, but this has always been circumvented when appropriate by selling ex-dem.

advertisement

Back