advertisement

Winter election II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely. Labour are proposing reforms to capital gains tax and dividends tax. From page 33, here:

https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Funding-Real-Change-1.pdf

They'll also reverse cuts to inheritance tax and impose a second home tax.

Where does the idea of 'reversing cuts' come from?

It looks like a far more radical proposal, intended to cut a knife through the complex tax lawyer's attempts to pass money intergenerationally with their trusts, woodland, IHT-exempt schemes.

By giving each person a lifetime allowance of 125k it doesn't matter what happens at probate; the money gets counted when it hits the recipient's current account. Anything above 125k is taxed as though it is income, at income tax rates.

Isn't it this instead of 'reversing'?

Except they never do. There is also a lot of research on how marginal tax rates affect migration and to have a significant effect you need to get to 76% and above.
It's more like the profits that migrate. A La Amazon. That tax take leaves Britain to benefit somewhere else.

Au contraire, its an excellent idea and has been espoused by many economists and political thinkers.
Tax wealth and rent-seeking capital more and income from work less.
Also taxation on global income regardless of residency as the US does.
If you overhaul the whole taxation system it’s worth considering but that isn’t what the ex-pat said. The reality is it’s a daft idea because it would be implemented by a tory govt as an additional tax with plenty of ways for the mega well off to avoid it, many others being hammered. If you think otherwise you’re living in some fantasy world.

Labour's counterplan is to tax the wealthy. Til' they go abroad.
Then pick on the old folks savings.
Nice.
Rubbish. Is this from The Beano?

There are some utter dip sticks posting on here who think the married tax allowance is for old people.

It isn’t its for any couple where one partner pays no tax and the other is a basic rate tax payer.

it is this Labour plan to remove, not the marriage allowance that people born before 1935 get.
Who said it is for old people? Have some posts been deleted?

Edit: I see his comment now. Daft, as you say.

Simon Wren-Lewis isn't "Labour", he's an independent, mainstream economist. He's not condemning the IFS (and neither is Labour), he's challenging their reading of the plans and their conclusion. He isn't hoping for the best, he's outlining the need for massive investment and putting it in the context of the last decade's under-funding and other European economies, while offering straightforward explanations as to why fears about corporations withholding investment, and worries over borrowing, are misplaced. This really is the opposite of slagging off the IFS and crossing his fingers!

Labour lost the confidence of the electorate in it's handling of the economy from the 70s to the 90s until Brown gave 'prudence' pride of place in Labour budgets. Labour is now putting forward spending plans which appear to be greater than anything that led to the IMF bail-out. It strikes me that injecting a vast amount of spending into an economy which has the lowest unemployment rates for 45 years could easily lead to wage inflation and consequently rising prices just like the good old 70s.

Corbyn had a credibility problem with voters before Labour it's announced plans to spend £1 trillion, now I suspect his popularity has become even less, this is not because the desire to abandon austerity is not worthwhile, it's the sheer volume of the spending programme that makes people wary. I might want to get a lot fitter, but saying I can run a marathon is 5 weeks from scratch does not fill people with confidence in my judgement. We may wish to reproduce the Scandinavian model of high tax, high state spending on services, but I doubt the UK can achieve it in 5 years.

The whole pre-election has turned into a giant wallet waving contest; I've not been promised so much free money since I got an email from a Nigerian prince a while ago.

Where does the idea of 'reversing cuts' come from?

It looks like a far more radical proposal, intended to cut a knife through the complex tax lawyer's attempts to pass money intergenerationally with their trusts, woodland, IHT-exempt schemes.

By giving each person a lifetime allowance of 125k it doesn't matter what happens at probate; the money gets counted when it hits the recipient's current account. Anything above 125k is taxed as though it is income, at income tax rates.

Isn't it this instead of 'reversing'?
The document references Osborne's cuts (2015?) This other stuff sounds good but I don't know anything about it - where's it from?

What happens when the wealth isn’t in a liquid form - a house for example?

you must pay income tax on the notional rental income of your house. The notional income value for each house is assessed by the local authorities and is added to your taxable income for the year

It's more like the profits that migrate. A La Amazon. That tax take leaves Britain to benefit somewhere else.

No it doesn't. This absurd idea that we cannot use the tax system to raise revenue, for social good and to reduce inequality is just sophistry driven by either self-interest and greed or some combination of ignorance, stupidity or a simple refusal to educate oneself.

Isn't there a similar article about the guy who defended corbyns brexit stance in the debate in Thursday being on a labour committee....

Funnily enough the other side are using this as the same argument from their side

Funnily enough you missed the fact he's been a QT audience member on 4 previous occasions and picked to ask questions on 3 of them.....yawn.

Labour lost the confidence of the electorate in it's handling of the economy from the 70s to the 90s until Brown gave 'prudence' pride of place in Labour budgets. Labour is now putting forward spending plans which appear to be greater than anything that led to the IMF bail-out. It strikes me that injecting a vast amount of spending into an economy which has the lowest unemployment rates for 45 years could easily lead to wage inflation and consequently rising prices just like the good old 70s.

Corbyn had a credibility problem with voters before Labour it's announced plans to spend £1 trillion, now I suspect his popularity has become even less, this is not because the desire to abandon austerity is not worthwhile, it's the sheer volume of the spending programme that makes people wary. I might want to get a lot fitter, but saying I can run a marathon is 5 weeks from scratch does not fill people with confidence in my judgement. We may wish to reproduce the Scandinavian model of high tax, high state spending on services, but I doubt the UK can achieve it in 5 years.
Again, in the European context this isn't especially high-tax-high-spend - it puts us about in the middle. What is it, specifically, that makes you doubt it can be achieved? The article addresses some of the more common objections and while it doesn't dismiss them it offers good arguments against them. He suggests that the lack of wage growth over the last decade has been damaging and that raising wages needn't lead to unmanageable inflation because there's plenty of room to raise interest rates.

They aren't planning to spend a trillion by the way: I think it's more like £600 billion. TBH the figures don't mean much to me and I don't think they'll mean much to most people. The last manifesto declared an end to austerity and this one makes clear what that will mean, in terms of housing, health and other public services. (Most) people are ready for that, and no-one's actually arguing against it, because everyone knows it's necessary. More of a problem for the Tories, really: they can't match LAbour's offer because they've been banging on about borrowing for a decade and because they can't raise tax rates - and also no-one believes the money will end up where it's supposed to, rather than their mates' pockets.

Once in a lifetime chance, really: Labour would be mad to miss it.

The document references Osborne's cuts (2015?) This other stuff sounds good but I don't know anything about it - where's it from?

Labour commissioned a report edited by Monbiot that came out in about June. I think lots of the economic stuff comes from there. But I've got nowhere reading the Labour manifesto on it.
I think probably won't sound good when you get into it (e.g. single parent gives only child 1 million and state takes 500k in IHT; single parent gives her 8 children 125k each, state gets nothing and 400k less than under old system). There must be loads of absurdities like that.

you must pay income tax on the notional rental income of your house. The notional income value for each house is assessed by the local authorities and is added to your taxable income for the year
Interesting. We used to have that in the UK. It was part of Schedule A tax. Abolished in the Finance Act 1963.

Labour is now putting forward spending plans which appear to be greater than anything that led to the IMF bail-out.

This is simply not true. Labour's plans take us from a from a spending level in terms of GDP / capita level above only the USA and slightly below Canada to a level just above Portugal and somewhere in the middle of the pack in terms of EU states. They also, unlike the Tories who show no indication of having learnt anything, have a state of the art fiscal policy rule to stop the catastrophic economic mistakes of this government since 2010 from happening again.

Straight out of the block Boris's 50000 new nurses has been torpedoed as it includes 19000 already in the NHS but despite widespread ridicule Laura K doesnt seem to have noticed...

Where are the 31,000 coming from? There is no training capability to make this happen from the ground-up in the U.K. and trainee nurses earn less than Patel’s overseas immigration salary target pledge which is £36K or is the “NHS Visa” actually a thing now?

so it’s like the community charge we already pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back