advertisement

Winter election II

Status
Not open for further replies.
And take away Married Tax allowance which will have a bigger effect on the worse off elderly pensioners than taking away their TV licences.

No one's taken them to task on that one.

Nice. Not.

I’m married and have no issues with removal of the Married Tax Allowance. As ever, it’s best to look at the whole package.

I have an issue with it hitting the married couples sitting just above the Pension Credit bracket with another flat tax.
Call it what you like, it is in effect, a very regressive and unfair tax, just taking MA away.

Simon Wren-Lewis isn't "Labour", he's an independent, mainstream economist. He's not condemning the IFS (and neither is Labour), he's challenging their reading of the plans and their conclusion. He isn't hoping for the best, he's outlining the need for massive investment and putting it in the context of the last decade's under-funding and other European economies, while offering straightforward explanations as to why fears about corporations withholding investment, and worries over borrowing, are misplaced. This really is the opposite of slagging off the IFS and crossing his fingers!

He is "Labour" surely? He was a member of the Labour party Economic Advisory Committee convened by McDonnell, and resigned from the committee over the Labour Party's brexit position. I recall he was in favour of Starmer being given the authority on Brexit.

I'm no economist and would love to see him argue this article out with one - I'd have thought that the macro-economic consensus is global recession and events determining interest rates that are largely out of the UK's control.

And I'd have thought that "large fiscal expansion" would be undermined by massive capital flight. If punters think 10% of dividends will go into collective ownership why wouldn't they just invest in non-UK companies (made all the more attractive if the pound rises given a softer brexit)?

Absolutely. Labour are proposing reforms to capital gains tax and dividends tax. From page 33, here:

https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Funding-Real-Change-1.pdf

They'll also reverse cuts to inheritance tax and impose a second home tax.

i am thinking about something a bit more radical than those measures. Why not levy an annual tax on a person’s total global wealth as is done in Switzerland?

Starting at a low percentage eg 0.2% for lower amounts above a threshold, sliding up to say >1% annually. Scrap capital gains tax and make people pay to keep their wealth. It works in Switzerland so why not here?

BBC and Tories.........

From Real Politik

Oh look! Wadda ya know? ‘White shirt guy’ who attacked Corbyn in last night’s BBC Leaders debate, is a conservative activist!

Ryan Jacobsz. Earlier this year, he was also the conservatives candidate for the local council of Hessle in East Riding, Yorkshire.

Last night was Ryan’s FOURTH appearance on BBCQT. In his first, he attacked Emily Thornberry in chesterfield on 20.04.2018 over Intervention in Syria. In the second, he attacked Richard Burgon on Labour’s brexit position 31.01.2019.

Can BBCQT Audience Producer and UKIP enthusiast, Alison Fuller Pedley explain how conservative activists and candidates make it onto the BBC QuestionTime audience so frequently and why they’re also always conveniently given the opportunity to ask their staged anti-Labour Tory PR attack questions?

Can the BBC explain? How can anyone trust the integrity of the show, or the BBC when this CONTINUES to happen?!

Nothing to add to this apart from BBC News editing out the audience's mocking laughter of Boris in same debate.

Isn't there a similar article about the guy who defended corbyns brexit stance in the debate in Thursday being on a labour committee....

Funnily enough the other side are using this as the same argument from their side

Joe you're all over the place here. No-one's talking about hanging hedge fund managers, unless I've missed something. Labour are talking about taxing them slightly more than they're taxed already so that people don't have to find a bin to sleep in after they've finished their shift, and so that we can...Tackle climate change! Read the manifesto. It opens with an account of the Green New Deal.

49114702861_e574665f82.jpg

She's saying to the rough sleeper: "You know compared with people in other parts of the world you're actually very wealthy! And anyway the real issue's climate change!"
That's a bit harsh, he was just using exaggeration to prove a point. Some of the crap on here about punative taxation has been ridiculous. I think Labour have got this about right in terms of progressive taxation, not sure about the windfall taxes but not really read around it.

i am thinking about something a bit more radical than those measures. Why not levy an annual tax on a person’s total global wealth as is done in Switzerland?

Starting at a low percentage eg 0.2% for lower amounts above a threshold, sliding up to say >1% annually. Scrap capital gains tax and make people pay to keep their wealth. It works in Switzerland so why not here?

What happens when the wealth isn’t in a liquid form - a house for example?

It’s a daft idea.

Johnson at the manifesto launch. Un-freeking-believable.

Forget accountability and answering the question. He's there for the thrill of lying and cheap laughs. A shameful cheapening of politics.

It’s a daft idea.

Au contraire, its an excellent idea and has been espoused by many economists and political thinkers.
Tax wealth and rent-seeking capital more and income from work less.
Also taxation on global income regardless of residency as the US does.

Au contraire, its an excellent idea and has been espoused by many economists and political thinkers.
Tax wealth and rent-seeking capital more and income from work less.
Also taxation on global income regardless of residency as the US does.
"Also taxation on global income regardless of residency as the US does." How does that work out with Trump? :)

Johnson at the manifesto launch. Un-freeking-believable.

Forget accountability and answering the question. He's there for the thrill of lying and cheap laughs. A shameful cheapening of politics.

It will play well with those it's aimed at. Simple answers, bluster and blind optimisim peppered with out and out lies - they love it.

There are some utter dip sticks posting on here who think the married tax allowance is for old people.

It isn’t its for any couple where one partner pays no tax and the other is a basic rate tax payer.

it is this Labour plan to remove, not the marriage allowance that people born before 1935 get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back