advertisement

Windows 11 has arrived

My main PC is in the Beta Channel and is therefore currently running the release version.

My second machine is in the Dev Channel and is actually not supported. A new Surface Pro 8 will therefore arrive at the end of the year (and will go straight into the Dev Channel).

I joined the dev preview program a few months ago on my aging non-compliant Dell (TPM1.2, 6th Gen I7) and my experiences with W11 have been fine. The new start menu is much more cohesive from the POV of find whatever, wherever. I've had not problem with stability, and all my peripherals work fine.

I was expecting to be kicked out of the program a few weeks ago, but I uderstand that the approach now is to freeze updates on non-compliant machines. At which time I will either roll back to my W10 final backup, or get a new machine. I like W11, but I would be annoyed to put an Apr-2017 machine out to pasture. There is plenty of life in it yet.

I have been using on dev for a few months and its mostly been fine. The only issue I have encountered is a bit of sluggishness when navigating folders in explorer. But I fancy doing a clean install anyhow which may well help, I dont like the idea of installing over previous operating systems.

I have been using on dev for a few months and its mostly been fine. The only issue I have encountered is a bit of sluggishness when navigating folders in explorer. But I fancy doing a clean install anyhow which may well help, I dont like the idea of installing over previous operating systems.

Actaully that reminds me. I do have one recurring issue. Opening an XLSX from the start menu sometimes leaves me with no open file so I have to File->Open to get what I wanted. Minorly annoying.

One other smallish issue is very frequently hitting an app in the task bar opens it, but it does not come to the front, or the screen does not open until you click the desktop and then the app again. The app is highlighted red when this happens. Hardly a deal breaker but I did report it and I am not alone on that one, although I have not seen anyone else complain about the explorer being a bit leery

Curiously regards the app opening I Have self same issue on the latest MacOS, if safari is the front most apps, all other apps open behind it.

new laptop from work (nice 17" i7 with 32Gb) running it. I like what i see (I had used a beta on an old NUC) - no issues here from explorer

My much loved Asus Zen laptop will not run it - the TPM (or whatever) bit is ok, and plenty of memory, but the processor has been rejected.

So - replacement when Win 10 comes to an end. Or maybe dip my feet into a Linux distro (shudder!).

It's interesting that the compatibility checker states "not currently supported" in relation to the CPU, but I won't hold my breath for that to ever change.

4 years continued support for Win10 seems a like a very short time - half our pcs are not compatible so will stay on W10 until 2025.
W11 looks very nice, seems fast. Disappointed that the old Control Panel for example is still there practically unchanged since XP. Surely there has been time to tidy things like this up?

I have two desktops and one laptop at work, all on 10. I find that none of them is compatible with 11, and, to my untutored eyes, the hardware demands look formidable. What is Microsoft playing at? Making money for HP, Acer and the like?

Looks like good news for Linux. 8-]

...unless, of course, this is another attempt by MS to get makers to only sell hardware that refuses to run any other OS than the 'blessed' MS11.

I have two desktops and one laptop at work, all on 10. I find that none of them is compatible with 11, and, to my untutored eyes, the hardware demands look formidable. What is Microsoft playing at? Making money for HP, Acer and the like?

Its highly likely that they will be compatible. I think pretty much all OEMs from 2014 have had to have the TPM etc, I might have misunderstood that though

TPM was to be a requirement but was made optional at the last minute I believe. Does Win11 install like a normal update and carry over your apps etc or is it clean?

I think pretty much all OEMs from 2014 have had to have the TPM etc

ours have but we had to spec it from our suppliers. Some features wont work (device health attestation for example) in the older version (1.20) of TPM

Its highly likely that they will be compatible. I think pretty much all OEMs from 2014 have had to have the TPM etc, I might have misunderstood that though
TPM?

P.S. Do I recollect incorrectly, but was 10 not supposed to be the final version of Windows, and all future Windows were to be upgrades of 10?

TPM was to be a requirement but was made optional at the last minute I believe. Does Win11 install like an upgrade and carry over your apps etc or is it clean?

optional is not the word i would use

i am told Win11 will run with the older version of TPM (1.2) but will not get any updates including security ones. I have seen that it is possible to install Win11 without any TPM but it would be unsupported.

https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/news/does-windows-11-require-tpm-20-we-have-good-news-and-bad-news

Thank you!

It all sounds a bit like the latest version of the old saying that, every time Intel comes up with a new faster processor, Bill Gates thinks of a way to slow it down.

In any case, I find that the unfixable element in all of my (admittedly old) computers is the processor. So, 10 for me, until the things irreparably break down.

advertisement

Back