advertisement

Will the rise of streaming put more tasty disc spinners onto the s/h mkt in 2011?

RackHi, it's not really a question of beating, there are small differences in presentation,but there is no loss of resolution, tone timbre dynamics etc with streaming, I think we compared the 555 to a Mac and Amarra Model 5 DAC ( oem Metric Halo ULN8) just depends which you prefer.
To answer Micks question there is no need to buy a streamer , eventually the majors will release their back catalogues on 24/96 which might be a catalyst.
Keith.
Presumably being "better than" implies beating?

To answer Micks question there is no need to buy a streamer , eventually the majors will release their back catalogues on 24/96 which might be a catalyst.
Keith.

Oh good so we can all buy our music collections ALL OVER AGAIN!

I've noticed a few Linn Unidisks on ebay. There are 2 1.1s there now for £2k-ish. Given that this is supposed to be as good as the CD12 at playing CD, but will also play SACD, DVD-A, and DVD, is anyone here tempted?

I've noticed a few Linn Unidisks on ebay. There are 2 1.1s there now for £2k-ish. Given that this is supposed to be as good as the CD12 at playing CD, but will also play SACD, DVD-A, and DVD, is anyone here tempted?
but was the CD12 actually that good? (as an aside, surely it should have been the CD5?)

I can't help thinking that streaming in its current form is just another means of presenting the same information yet again, without adding any value in particular.

but was the CD12 actually that good? (as an aside, surely it should have been the CD5?)
Only heard one briefly and I thought it was good, but then I've never heard the competition (£12k, $20k) so it's a bit meaningless, and I've never been interested in spending anything like that sort of money. But anyway, the point was about the Unidisk relative to the CD12, not about some absolute "standard".

12 centimetres?

I can't help thinking that streaming in its current form is just another means of presenting the same information yet again, without adding any value in particular.
And yet there are those who claim it sounds better, even when playing the same CD-quality files.

I think there is value there: convenience, probably equal (there or thereabouts) playback with the right computer/interface/dac/streaming setup (depending on teh comparative disc spinner; personal preferences/ear; etc.), and there is the prospect of hi res files.

However, I really remain unconvinced by the suggestion that £1500 of streaming rig will blow even the best CDplayers out of the water. How often has massive overstatement been shown as such?

And yet there are those who claim it sounds better, even when playing the same CD-quality files.
People on teh internets claim all sorts of things.

So would this be due to the DAC used being different from the CDp? If not, I can't think of a reason why the same digital data would sound better read from SSD/HDD compared to a decent CD transport.

Only heard one briefly and I thought it was good, but then I've never heard the competition (£12k, $20k) so it's a bit meaningless, and I've never been interested in spending anything like that sort of money. But anyway, the point was about the Unidisk relative to the CD12, not about some absolute "standard".

12 centimetres?
Sure, the price of the CD12 (12.7cm :) is somewhat meaningless, as was the case with the full DCS shebang. However, I just wanted to make the point that being as good as a CD12 is a claim many players that can be had for less that £2K used could claim, though this isn't to suggest it is a bad proposition given its flexibility.

People on teh internets claim all sorts of things.

So would this be due to the DAC used being different from the CDp? If not, I can't think of a reason why the same digital data would sound better read from SSD/HDD compared to a decent CD transport.
How about Linn? They could make money selling CDPs and streamers but have decided to abandon CDPs, at least the high end ones.

Your question about DACs is the obvious one and no one seems to have a convincing answer (but no doubt someone will chip in with claims about errors reading CDs in real time vs ripping). In the case of Linn, we can assume the DACs are of the same quality (whatever that means in objective terms).

Sure, the price of the CD12 (12.7cm :) is somewhat meaningless, as was the case with the full DCS shebang. However, I just wanted to make the point that being as good as a CD12 is a claim many players that can be had for less that £2K used could claim, though this isn't to suggest it is a bad proposition given its flexibility.
Go and measure a CD, any CD, right now. ;) (Or look it up.)

A price is meaningless if you aren't interested in paying it, but some were/are. But anyway, this is within the same brand so perhaps it has some validity?

I think Linn can see where the market is going and are acting accordingly. This isn't an objective proof to show HDD/SSD playback is "better" than CD playback.

Go and measure a CD, any CD, right now. ;) (Or look it up.)

A price is meaningless if you aren't interested in paying it, but some were/are. But anyway, this is within the same brand so perhaps it has some validity?
I just guesstimated that a CD was 5 inches. How annoying that Linn will switch from inches to cm just to stick with the number 12. It should have been the CD4.724409448818898 :)

If I was a Linn customer and had bought a CD4.724409448818898 I'd be miffed if the Unidisk was its equal on CD for so much less.

I think Linn can see where the market is going and are acting accordingly. This isn't an objective proof to show HDD/SSD playback is "better" than CD playback.
Agreed.

But the thread is about expensive CDPs coming onto the used market. I gave the Unidisk 1.1 as an example and wondered who would be tempted for around £2k.

I just guesstimated that a CD was 5 inches. How annoying that Linn will switch from inches to cm just to stick with the number 12. It should have been the CD4.724409448818898 :)

If I was a Linn customer and had bought a CD4.724409448818898 I'd be miffed if the Unidisk was its equal on CD for so much less.
The CD is specified as 120 mm. 5 in. was always an approximation.

I've not heard or read that Linn used cm to justify the name, though. It's just my guess. :)

Back to the OPs question: I am not sure there is "rise in streaming", apart from a few geeks and vendors like Purite pushing it on here I don't actually see many mainstream users adopting streaming at all. I would venture a bet that streaming will die before CDPs do.

There are a hell of a lot of people who stream music from their computers as a matter of course, and wouldn't know the name of one audiophile website.

advertisement

Back