advertisement

Wilfred Owen Film

Excellent work and news look forward to seeing this. Shame I didn't know earlier, there is a heart rendingly beautiful and mournful song by a guy called John Moran titled "Bag Of Bones" that would have been perfect for the soundtrack.

"Broken soldiers and bicycles lie strewn among poppies and daisies"

Yes, I was aware that you'd met, it was actually shortly before we went over.

I was quite apprehensive about the trip given the emotional power of his Owen work. In the event, it was hugely enjoyable, interesting and enlightening. We spent two days, covered the Somme - Beaumont-Hamel, Serre, the Ancre valley, then Fayet - St.Quentin, Riqueval - Bellenglise, Magny-La Fosse, Joncourt, then Ors and the canal. We intend to do it again and expand on the possibilities that it presented.

I'm not an enthusiast of Simon Patterson's installation at Forester's House, I find it all a bit strained and pretentious, though I know that I might be an outlier.

What did the cast and crew think of the trip? When you've been working intensively on something like this, actually going to the locations can be a phenomenal emotional hit.

You managed to squeeze a fair bit into the two days, did you find and access the bunker system near Joncourt where he and his company stayed just before their heroics and ultimately his posthumous MC?

As for Foresters house, I share your view and in truth the darn place was shut up. In the 6x I’ve been, we’ve only found it open twice despite correspondence about our schedule - we only wanted to take WO into the cellar but alas, no joy so we filmed near the lock house on the canal instead.

The areas around Serre 2, Sheffield Park and La Boisselle were emotional for those who’d not visited before - Sassoon efforts at Mametz on the first day of the Somme was great too, finding ordnance all over the woods!

We then moved up past Messines to Ypres and filmed at Tyne Cot, Menin Gate and Langemark to get a German perspective - hopefully we’ll get 30/40 mins of useable material but audio was challenging in ptc pieces in a strong wind

Wonderful, wonderful news. The Burying Party will have its UK premiere at the New Renaissance Film Festival in London this August

36188841_1824862550904151_8185458731253760000_n_zpswk0c1p40.jpg

You managed to squeeze a fair bit into the two days, did you find and access the bunker system near Joncourt where he and his company stayed just before their heroics and ultimately his posthumous MC?

As for Foresters house, I share your view and in truth the darn place was shut up. In the 6x I’ve been, we’ve only found it open twice despite correspondence about our schedule - we only wanted to take WO into the cellar but alas, no joy so we filmed near the lock house on the canal instead.

The areas around Serre 2, Sheffield Park and La Boisselle were emotional for those who’d not visited before - Sassoon efforts at Mametz on the first day of the Somme was great too, finding ordnance all over the woods!

We then moved up past Messines to Ypres and filmed at Tyne Cot, Menin Gate and Langemark to get a German perspective - hopefully we’ll get 30/40 mins of useable material but audio was challenging in ptc pieces in a strong wind

It was a bit of a push, but I know the ground quite well now, so by travelling light and just the two of us, we just about squeezed everything in, with time for two or three lovely walks. I have to admit to being unaware of the bunker system - I know that Owen's company billeted in and around the little hamlet of Magny the night before the attack on Joncourt, and that there is a particularly impressive bunker built into the railway embankment skirting Joncourt which repelled the initial attack of the Lancashires. The Manchesters actually skirted around the top of the village in their attack on the Beaurevoir-Fonsomme defences, where WO won his MC, and there's another smaller bunker or pill box sinking into the field on that route.

PR, I'm happy to say, shared my ambivalence about the Forester's installation, and we didn't attempt to get in. The weather was on edge, with an electrical storm brewing all of both days - we got absolutely drenched to our skins at Sheffield Memorial Park on the first evening, one of those where you end up just letting it happen, and laughing, but our 'billets' were close by with hot baths. On the second it just held off, thunder rumbling around all day, which was appropriately atmospheric.

The Sassoon location at Mametz is amazing - Bois Francais. The crater field in the wood is virtually unkown to tourists, and there are some very impressive holes. The trace of the British front-line trench is quite easy to follow in the paddock behind the wood.

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never been to Ypres, yet have been chasing ghosts in the Somme several times a year over the last few years. One for the future. I have an uncle still there, whose 100th I missed earlier this year.

Wind seems to play havoc with sound, presumably even the pro kit with all those vast 'dead cat' mufflers. I've only got a weedy Rode thing on my DSLR, so have to be very careful!

Very good news on the London Premiere, crossed over whilst I was typing this post.

Somehow missed this thread until now. Very well done to you, and all involved. Inspirational stuff.

Me too - what an incredible achievement. Do you have any idea of whether you'll get wider distribution in the US ? There are several arts cinemas close to me.

Me too - what an incredible achievement. Do you have any idea of whether you'll get wider distribution in the US ? There are several arts cinemas close to me.

We’re still looking for a distribution deal but maybe the next run of festivals might lead somewhere? We’ve still got N.O. , Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver and TIFF which are all Oscar qualifying though in truth that’s a bit ambitious lol

Last night's premiere was very well recieved, honoured to have been selected at this Festival.
39967442_10157584359308219_9111429757303521280_n.jpg

So last night we won Best Feature Film at the New Renaissance London Film Festival Awards, simply stunned.

40158541_1924869180903487_2639359928556322816_n.png

From the NRFF website: "The Burying Party directed by Richard Weston, took the award for Best UK Feature Film. This high-quality drama documents the extraordinary life of Wilfred Owen, the greatest war poet. It’s a sensitive story about outsiders, protesters, and those who use their talents in order to defy their times and truly deserves to find a mainstream audience."

Proud moment for me and other Old Boys of Birkenhead Institute today when the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (Harry & Meghan) visited Birkenhead and unveiled a new memorial to the 88 old boys who lost their lives in the Great War of 1914-19, including Wilfred Edward Salter Owen. I was priveleged to meet the royal couple and chat for a minute or so telling them of the film we've produced, The Burying Party. I was somewhat taken aback when Harry said he'd heard of it and looked forward to seeing it.

image.jpg

advertisement

Back