advertisement

Wilfred Owen Film

Well that's excellent news for you. I was just telling my wife about your film and that I want to see it when it's out and decided to catch up with any news. My daughter said she likes Wilfred Owen.

It's at festivals at the moment in the hope of attracting a distribution deal... we do plan on a series of screenings later this year around the country in locations that were relevant to WO, Wirral, Liverpool, Shrewsbury, Oswestry, Edinburgh, Ripon, Scarborough, London, Amiens, Ors etc and clearly we've a premiere to plan... let me know if you'd like to be there

More success overnight in Australia. The film won Best Narrative Feature and best Supporting Actor (Sid Phoenix) at the Melbourne Independent film festival. Congratulations to all the winners and thank you Melbourne for your kind words on The Burying Party.

Latest update

“Incredible news today that The Burying Party has won Best Narrative Feature, Best Director, Best Costume Design and Best Production Design at the Los Angeles Movie Awards! The festival would like to premiere the film in Hollywood this month & they’ve sent complimentary tickets to the event... decisions decisions

Email reads
Dear Sine Wave Media

It is our great pleasure to inform you that your film project has been selected to screen at our 2018 festival in Hollywood CA on May 19th 2018 at the Complex Theater (6476 Santa Monica Blvd. , Los Angeles CA 90038).

Well done! For some reason, mainly sheer ignorance, I always thought that Wilfred Owen had gone to Birkenhead School.

The independent Birkenhead School has many famous old boys- but not the WW1 poet Wilfred Edward Salter Owen

Birkenhead School was just up the road from us. Some years back, I was talking to a senior academic in a work context, who, it turned out, had been to Birkenhead School. He detected my (faint) Birkenhead accent, and asked which school I'd gone to. When I said 'Saint Anselm's' he commented 'Those bastards in blue blazers were always beating us up!'

Birkenhead School was just up the road from us. Some years back, I was talking to a senior academic in a work context, who, it turned out, had been to Birkenhead School. He detected my (faint) Birkenhead accent, and asked which school I'd gone to. When I said 'Saint Anselm's' he commented 'Those bastards in blue blazers were always beating us up!'

‘St Annie’s’ did have that reputation- particularly on the Rugby pitch....those Christian Brothers were experts in pain clearly

Ditto. Congratulations!! So exciting!

I hope you manage to get to Madrid and then follow the premiere around the globe!

Well done again.

Thanks, we chose not to screen at LA simply because it would prevent it entering other NA Film Festivals, several of which are higher profile (and Oscar qualifying haha) - the plan is for the crew and some cast members to attend Madrid if we can raise the funds

Last edited:
Further congratulations, this really is travelling. It is an incredible effort, all the more so considering the tiny budget.

I was in Ors last month, visiting various sites associated with Owen with Penny Rimbaud. I have cobbled together a couple of short poem-length films which I'll post on a different thread at some point, not anything like your beautiful creation, so slightly apprehensive, but PR's readings transcend my rubbishy filming and editing.

We've worked with Penny this year and interviewed him with our scriptwriter as part of a back story we're producing to supplement the film, we were in Somme, Sambre-Oise canal, Foresters house in Ors and Flanders last week with some cast and crew to film their reactions to the locations

Yes, I was aware that you'd met, it was actually shortly before we went over.

I was quite apprehensive about the trip given the emotional power of his Owen work. In the event, it was hugely enjoyable, interesting and enlightening. We spent two days, covered the Somme - Beaumont-Hamel, Serre, the Ancre valley, then Fayet - St.Quentin, Riqueval - Bellenglise, Magny-La Fosse, Joncourt, then Ors and the canal. We intend to do it again and expand on the possibilities that it presented.

I'm not an enthusiast of Simon Patterson's installation at Forester's House, I find it all a bit strained and pretentious, though I know that I might be an outlier.

What did the cast and crew think of the trip? When you've been working intensively on something like this, actually going to the locations can be a phenomenal emotional hit.

advertisement

Back