advertisement

Wilfred Owen Film

tqineil

Ubi fides ibi lux et robur
Hope it's ok to mention this in here?

As an former pupil in the 1970's at Birkenhead Institute, we were constantly reminded each November that our most famous 'old boy' was the WW1 war poet, Wilfred Owen. Over the last 8-10 years I've had an increased interest in visits with friends to the battlefields in Somme and Flanders, undertaking some research and establishing the resting places of most the 88 old boys of the school who fell in the Great War. This led more recently to setting up a film business with another school colleague and scoping a film about Owen, focusing on the last 18 months of his life. With little in the way of art grants available to us enthusiastic amateurs, we've raised some funds through the production of young actor's show reels, music video etc. together with a reliance on mostly self and crowd-funding to get the project completed.

The filming was shot in the UK with a small crew over a number of weeks in the summer and late winter of 2017 and then we've had close on three months of post-production to finally get it ready.

The next stage is submission to film festivals and our first experiences seem quite encouraging with acceptance into the festival itself, we should know the results of one towards the end of the Easter break. At this stage, most of us are in a state of shock and surprise in truth.

The film's title is taken from a line of one of Owen's poems, Exposure. The film is call 'The Burying Party'.
Below is a link to the short trailer we've produced.

Early days but wish us luck and I'm happy for any 'Fishies' to share with folk if it helps get the word out (again if agreeable with the Forum's management?)

DZU99aGW4AIcs79.jpg

DYwG8wgXUAAxJp7.jpg

DYv0HEpX0AE4yCB.jpg

DXIGVlDWAAABJrY.jpg

As a lad we did Wilfred Owen, Siegfried Sassoon and Rupert Brooke in O level English. Cultured I am not but their work was deeply moving.

Wish you the very best with this.

I could still barely read my Victor comic and struggled hugely with poetry when we were first introduced to the war poets, Wilfred Owen, Siegfried Sasson and Rupert Brooke in first year or late primary school. The perhaps lesser known 'Futility' below was the poem that made the biggest impact on me. Years later i was fascinated to learn about the time spent with Sasson at Craiglockhart in Edinburgh where they were both convalascing for a time and Sasson's influence on the idolising Owen. It's also fascinating to think of Robert Graves joining both for a lunch at Babberton Glub near Craiglockart in 1917!

I really look forward to seeing the movie.

Futility
By Wilfred Owen

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds—
Woke once the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides
Full-nerved, still warm, too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth's sleep at all?

He was a remarkable man and a great poet. The Inspection is less well-known than either Dulce... or Futility but it's a personal favourite:

'You! What d'you mean by this?' I rapped.
'You dare come on parade like this?'
'Please, sir, it's-' ''Old yer mouth,' the sergeant snapped.
'I takes 'is name, sir?'-'Please, and then dismiss.'

Some days 'confined to camp' he got,
For being 'dirty on parade'.
He told me, afterwards, the damnèd spot
Was blood, his own. 'Well, blood is dirt,' I said.

'Blood's dirt,' he laughed, looking away,
Far off to where his wound had bled
And almost merged for ever into clay.
'The world is washing out its stains,' he said.
'It doesn't like our cheeks so red:
Young blood's its great objection.
But when we're duly white-washed, being dead,
The race will bear Field-Marshal God's inspection.'

I love the choppinness of the rhythm which sounds so modern, even now.

And the "Well, blood is dirt" gets me every time.

Good luck. Very strange things can happen.
A son of a very good friend of ours directed a short action film (Shok) about 3 years ago and ended up with an Oscar nomination!

Well, strange things did happen

The Burying Party
Best Feature Film
Best Cinematography (Meurig Marshall)
Honorable Mention Director (Richard Weston)
Honorable Mention Actor (Sid Phoenix)

DZ4mepCXkAAxNCl.jpg

neil.

does this mean you and your entourage will be moving to california and purchasing big, black SUV with gold rims?

Fantastic news. Congratulations, and onwards & upwards.

thanks, this certainly helps with building momentum and increases the chances of the film being seen via a distribution deal should it get others nods at bigger festivals

Persumably you are working towards something to coincide with the centenary in November?

Persumably you are working towards something to coincide with the centenary in November?

Yes, there are some tentative dates set up around the 4th November for WO related screenings and the London Film festival if we're lucky. Local MP (Frank Field) is keen for us to show it locally too as part of the commemoration. Some of the major festivals will only show non premiered film too so it's all a little delicate.

Well quite a day with the New York Film Awards just announced... truly shocked and chuffed!
30623617_1740515632672177_8212161046920221382_n.jpg

30571954_1740515706005503_8557201589643141444_n.jpg

30571932_1740515759338831_3549696897879874330_n.jpg

30531473_1740515856005488_328901234056018238_n.jpg

30571943_1740515809338826_6497981106733168087_n.jpg

30571695_1740515912672149_6437386905164026985_n.jpg

advertisement

Back